power window troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedspencer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2015
1984 el Camino - driver's door switch moves passenger window up and down; passenger door switch only moves window up and not down. Use the driver's switch a couple of times and then try the passenger door switch and now it will only go down and not up. Getting totally frustrated and about ready to find a match.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would suspect the drivers right window button to be the problem

PowerWindows.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Most power window and door lock issues can be traced to corroded contacts in the actual switches, these can be disassembled and cleaned or you can replace the switches which are relatively affordable if you shop around.
Also many window motors end up having bad grounds from corrosion over time since they ground directly to the door, you can add a separate ground wire directly to the motor and run it through the door wiring and give it a good chassis ground to help eliminate issues.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bubbameano

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2015
Florida
X2 could be dirty contacts in switch or bad ! New switch at the local parts help section

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
Hey Im new to the forum but have had a similar problem. Turns out it was the drivers door. It wasn't releasing the signal to let the passenger switch work. The drivers door was acting as a primary over riding the passenger switch unless the passenger switch went in the same command. I would try to unplug the drivers side and see if works properly. (Seeing as they are powered independently not piggy backing off the driver switch.)

reedspencer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2015
Most power window and door lock issues can be traced to corroded contacts in the actual switches, these can be disassembled and cleaned or you can replace the switches which are relatively affordable if you shop around.
Also many window motors end up having bad grounds from corrosion over time since they ground directly to the door, you can add a separate ground wire directly to the motor and run it through the door wiring and give it a good chassis ground to help eliminate issues.

I have tried different switches and they all do the same thing. Thanks

TheHomie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2015
Well if its not the switches that would mean a wiring issue. The plugs that go on the back of the switch, Do they looked damaged? Also have you tried to disconnect the drivers side and only connect the passenger to narrow down the problem area?

reedspencer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2015
Hey Im new to the forum but have had a similar problem. Turns out it was the drivers door. It wasn't releasing the signal to let the passenger switch work. The drivers door was acting as a primary over riding the passenger switch unless the passenger switch went in the same command. I would try to unplug the drivers side and see if works properly. (Seeing as they are powered independently not piggy backing off the driver switch.)
the passenger switch does not work at all with the drivers door switch removed so there must be some kind of connection between them.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the passenger switch does not work at all with the drivers door switch removed so there must be some kind of connection between them.

if you look at the diagram I posted you'll see the connection between the switches. By your description of the problem I suspected it is the drivers right window switch and that is why I posted the diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor