power window (where did i go wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geed_up_442

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
Putting my car back together after paint still. And neither window is working. The passenger door was replace with a manual door but I brought over all my electrical items from the other. Fuses aren't blown. And switches, motors etc all worked before paint. So does the window motor physically ground itself to the door and the paint is the issue or what? Both doors were taken off and wires were rolled back up in the car during paint.

Geed_up_442

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
So if I understand correctly its grounded through a wire coming from the switch? Would there be any issue with me having completely painted the jambs and hinges?

Geed_up_442

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
Found this on maliburacing.com. Looks like the motor itself is grounded to the door since the ground is right off the motor. But I honestly don't recall riveting the motor to the door. All that was riveted were the track and regulator. Can some one point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• PowerWindows.jpg
    PowerWindows.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1,023

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
motor power and ground come from the switch because the switch changes the polarity of the motors to raise or lower window.

hard to say what is wrong.

to diagnose I would do the following:

1st: verify fuse is good.

2nd: verify the switch has 12v and ground

3rd: verify motors work by applying 12v and ground the the motor leads. if moves reverse polarity and if moves again motor is good. if either direction does not move then motor bad. (one caveat to this is that the glass is not jammed in the track, if glass jammed the circuit breaker will trip constantly so act like a bad system)

4th: if all those tests pass you have a bad or disconnected wire somewhere

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
442_7.5ltr said:
Found this on maliburacing.com. Looks like the motor itself is grounded to the door since the ground is right off the motor. But I honestly don't recall riveting the motor to the door. All that was riveted were the track and regulator. Can some one point me in the right direction.

I'd have to disagree somewhat with what CWPottenger is saying. As the diagram shows the switch changes which set of windings voltage is fed. They are wound opposite so that an opposite magnetic field is produced which causes the rotor to spin in a different direction. Both of these windings are grounded on the other end of them and the same magnitude of current flows in either winding.

So, yes, by that diagram it seems the motor is grounded to the door somehow and not through the two wires running to it. I've never had a door apart so I can't help with what you may have wrong but it does sound like paint may be interfering with it making metal to metal contact for a good ground. I would search for instructions on How to Replace a Power Window Motor or something like that and see if that might offer you more information on exactly how and where it grounds to the door.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I had an issue with a gbody power window working intermittently and it ended up just being a bad ground from the motor to the door, if you kicked the door in the right spot it would work. I just added a ground wire to the body of the motor and it worked fine.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I haven't really messed with a power window motor on a g-body but any of the window motors I have messed with, all of them were grounded through the switch. The switch reversed polarity of the two wires. I would be inclined to believe a g body window motor would be the same way(and probably the same part number as some I have worked on), and I'd have to disagree with the schematic.

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
take some wire and make a test lead. (long piece of wire with alligator clips or have someone hold each end :D ) connect it to a good known ground, (if the wire is long enough use the battery), then connect it the window motor. then try the switch. if it works then you know it needs a better ground.

Geed_up_442

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
Yeah ive got my spare battery and alligator clips already. Heading out there now to find the weak link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor