Power window won't go all the way up.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Haven't been on here in awhile, but just finishing up my 78' Monte Carlo. The power window on the passenger side rolls down very fast and goes up a lot slower, to the point where it won't go up the last 1 inch or so. If you open the door it goes up all the way. So that has me thinking the new door seals may have something to do with it, but it's got to be more than that. The driver side works fine. Any suggestions?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
At first blush, it sounds like it could be the door seals. Did you lube them with any silicon protectant or something? That could help the glass slide easier. Could be the window switch terminals being dirty. Or corroded wires. Since the passenger switch is sort of piggybacked into the motor wiring from the driver side switch with a separate power supply to it on the early A/G models, you can see which part of it is your issue. If both switches run slow on the way up, it's likely door seals and you may need to adjust the glass a bit, but it could mean both terminals in the switch need cleaning. If, say the passenger switch operates the motor normally, but the driver side doesn't, then the issue may be in the driver side RH switch/wiring.

Reactions: 1 user

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Are the windows tight or do they move side to side and rattle.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
When I get them rolled up they are tight. Seem to wobble a decent amount in the tracks, but I think that is normal. What type of silicone protectant do you mean? Like armorall? I am wondering if it has something to do with the spring that coils up as it speeds down very fast. they kind of slam into the stop at the bottom.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
silicone spray lube at the auto parts store use the straw to spray way down there in the front and rear rubber guides then roll window up and down

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
I would pull the door skins and adjust the window guides to remove the wobble. get it snug then you will also have access to lube the rubber channels.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I would pull the door skins and adjust the window guides to remove the wobble. get it snug then you will also have access to lube the rubber channels.
I'm assuming you mean the inner door cards, not the door skins. o_O

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I'm interested in solutions to this problem since I switched to power windows on my 87 El Camino and have experienced the same up and down issues. I am stumped because the motors are new, the weather strips old, the mechanisms were cleaned and re-greased, the guides are not impeding motion, etc.

This thread also triggered some brain cells about having read somewhere that there is an aftermarket setup that enhances window up and down speeds. Does anyone else recall something like this?

Aug 7, 2023
I have had this issue and simply it was swapping out the tired window motor for a new one. I can only say it worked for me.

Aug 7, 2023
I was driving my 1985 Olds Cutlass Salon 305 v8 and all my gauge pack, oil, temp, fuel, voltage quit. I still have speedometer and tach. Since this I have verified my gauges are good, the connections all have power, the fuses are all good, I have chased every ground I can find... no gauges. Is there a hidden regulator or anything else. I know it is simple, I just can't see it and my manual is in some box as I am moving. Any ideas?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor