Pre install advice wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

g9s8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2018
Hello fellow GBody members.

I've been lurking for a long time trying to educate myself on the ins and outs of doing an LS swap in a MY84 Regal. Unfortunately with so much information here, its difficult to make proper decisions since I am not going to do any hands on. I have a friend who basically takes care of anything I would like to get done on my cars and is in charge of handling this task. He is of course is not hands on either but the guy who does the leg work. Anyhow, to make this short, I tell him what I want, he gets it done.

Here in California, LS engines are difficult to find at a reasonable rate. I ended up with an LQ9 mated to I believe a 4l60 trans. So.....considering I just found out that swapping in CA requires same classification for smog purpose I am kind of screwed. So, its either find a modern engine out of a same classification vehicle, which means start over and spend 3 times as much to start or just keep what I have and find other ways to keep it on the road. So, considering the LQ9 wont be smogable in the car, I might as well do a little upgrades.

Let me first start with saying, I know there is no perfect way of doing anything and everyone has a different opinion on what is best or better, etc. With that being said, I do not plan on going forced induction as I want this to be easier to work on and simpler on the gas stations. I am not opposed to maybe going that route in the future if it comes down to it but, no plans on it. So, what would you all suggest to do while the engine is still out of the vehicle. I would like to be able to get the engine running in the 400's, to be fair just say maybe up to the mid 450's as far as hp goes (engine not wheel). Considering the factory claims 345 I figured 400's wouldn't be that extensive.

Is adding a cam the best way to go first? If so, which one cause I did a simple search on jegs and summit and came up with nothing even though I know they are out there. If anyone suggest a cam, what else would I need other than the cam as I know that something in the heads need to be upgrades as well. If a cam isn't recommended while the engine is out, what other suggestions are there to slightly up the hp 50 - 100. I am not opposed to headers and all that exhaust stuff but I also figured exhaust can be added later once the engine is in and not necessarily needing to add it out. Oh and yes I know that choosing the proper headers and exhaust will need to go with the cam/head upgrade or vice versa. So suggestions on that as well.

Any help and suggestions will be welcomed as I know a lot of you have the expertise and experience to point me in the right direction. I'm not made of money but I do want things done the correct way and do not want to cut corners.

Thanks in advance!
---Joe

Oh and when choosing a radiator....trying to maintain stock location, with the 6.0 engine, do I find one the replaces the stock one but heavy duty cooling or an "LS swap" one that uses cross flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor