Pre-sewn seat cover kits for Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
FYI, after a 3 month ordeal, I have found that neither Acme nor PUI have cover kits available for my maroon '81 in a color anywhere close to the original materials. For reference, i have been using the vinyl from the rear seat cushion at the rear, where it never sees daylight. Everything was either too orange/reddish, or was actually the dark claret used in the later cars.

On a positive note, my F-I-L turned me on to a woman locally that does upholstery for a lot more reasonable rate than some of the numbers that I have heard from others locally. She graciously loaned her sample book to the wife so i could see if there were suitable materials available, which there are.,Of course, I will be checking out a job she is currently working on before I commit.

Really wishing now I had gone ahead and changed it all to black like I considered early on, would have been a lot less hassle. I just didn't want to have to buy new door panels since the ones in the car are pretty decent. The funniest part is, I DON'T EVEN LIKE RED INTERIORS!

BTW, did I mention, I'll never do another red interior?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I just LOVE that red maroon. I'm in the same boat as my covers could be replaced. I've been searching for any '81, '83, or '84 A/G with this color to get what I can. My last find years back was a guy on CL had some left over stuff from his '81 Malibu, with some luck mostly Monte stuff. But for seat belts I have a burgundy set out of an '86 cause I can't find a full set of the deluxe(?, plastic femal buckle covers.) As for the diamond/"Regal" cloth pattern no of the repops have anything close to match let alone the same style for a full standard bench. When the time comes I hope a shop can salvage my cloth, put some nre welting on the rear bottom, put a new vinyl panel on the drivers front upper side. If not I might just go black on the covers.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Mine had the deluxe(colored plastic buckle covers) belts in it. I discovered by accident that the deluxe and standard buckles do not work with the other's tongues.

There are places that can re-web the belts for about $75 each, not sure how close their maroon or burgundies are to ours, though. In hindsight, I should have just done that rather than chase a set of belts.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My belts didn't survive the disassembly. Eight years ago I never thought of re-webbing. But that '86 set is in great shape to offset the wrong color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor