Price check? You Gotta Wonder About Vendors Sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just a word of warning for those looking for parts on ebay.

What are they thinking? Do they EVER sell anything at these prices?

andys auto shack. Says it's located in U.S. Pretty shady it seems. One feedback says that this clown doesn't even stock the parts, he's just a middleman. I may be behind the times, and current economic conditions being what they are and all have affected prices, but when a part is still available from GM for $18 bucks and change each retail price, who would be dumb enough to pay these prices? These are front spring insulators that go on top of the spring. For a paltry $100. EACH. Not even GM. They're Moog brand.

Unfortunately, that's not the only incredulous price pattern from these guys. Yet people still buy crap from him. Most of it appears it's stuff you can get elsewhere for MUCH MUCH cheaper.

Here's another example. Partshouse Clearance in Washington state- $192 for an alleged (no picture) GM part. 17085929. Oh, and add $7.95 shipping so it's 199.95 plus any sales tax!!! For anyone who doesn't know, this is the little plastic canister purge valve on the front of a 260/307, et al. They have over 10K sales. Who's buying stuff from them? To be fair, not all their prices are whackadoo, but some of them simply don't make sense to me.

The thing is, it's generally able to be had for around $20 in the bag other places. GMpartsdirect.com still shows it in stock from GM. I don't know for sure if they're still available for real, but they show a GM list price of $62.60.

I'll sell mine for 86 bucks each. 50% off these guys prices. And I'll include free shipping... :)

4975e2a3d4311c81b752291013ccd4f6.jpg

I understand supply and demand, but I don't understand this so much. I'm hoping nobody buys sh*t from these guys at these prices. Hopefully it's a typo or something, but I got a feeling it's not. Could it be a "F-you" price? Or one so you'll ask if the price is for real so they can suck you in as a contact? I dunno.

These are just two examples, but I'm sure there's many many more. Just be aware out there. And if you think the price might be too high for something, just blurt it out in the forums. There's always someone who knows something that may be able to help save you some $$ fixing up your G-body.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's another example. Partshouse Clearance in Washington state- $192 for an alleged (no picture) GM part. 17085929. Oh, and add $7.95 shipping so it's 199.95 plus any sales tax!!! For anyone who doesn't know, this is the little plastic canister purge valve on the front of a 260/307, et al. They have over 10K sales. Who's buying stuff from them? To be fair, not all their prices are whackadoo, but some of them simply don't make sense to me.
This one he claims in the listing he's open to offers so the bagged price would be fair.

As for the spring insulator, you can most likely be able to pick up a full set of poly ones way cheaper than that "golden" one.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Some people are just that special. Here is one I saw a while back..

As some of you know a couple of us keep tabs on these. Right now current market after tax at a Dealer you might be at most $800 for that.

People have the freedom to put whatever ludicrous price they want on something, up to the buyer to spend the money. Buyers set the market. Some people aren't too bright and don't know how to shop around, so that's on them. Being dumb will cost you.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Some people are just that special. Here is one I saw a while back..

As some of you know a couple of us keep tabs on these. Right now current market after tax at a Dealer you might be at most $800 for that.

People have the freedom to put whatever ludicrous price they want on something, up to the buyer to spend the money. Buyers set the market. Some people aren't too bright and don't know how to shop around, so that's on them. Being dumb will cost you.
Maybe you missed the "includes 3 industrial sized trash cans, large tarp, 10 thick mil plastic yard bags, tyvek suits, gloves and masks to complete your murder kit." :LOL:

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Maybe you missed the "includes 3 industrial sized trash cans, large tarp, 10 thick mil plastic yard bags, tyvek suits, gloves and masks to complete your murder kit." :LOL:
Well yea if all that was written than it could be proved it was premeditated.. ;)

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
If I were an eBay seller who was trying to sell a $50 part, and wanted to push sales to the procrastinators, whos to say they don't open a second account and list the same part for stupid monies. This tactic could possibly intimidate a prospective buyer to buy. They will see the outlandish price and feel they are getting a bargain on the original $50 part, and this encourages them to make the purchase "before prices go up". Reverse psychology to manipulate your own market of goods to the populous, genius.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Even easier way to do it if you want to play the long manipulation game. Maybe that's their plan? Put a price tag on it that's double or even triple what they normally go for. Sit on it because nobody will buy it...yet. When you're crap is the only ones left in the universe, you've expended NO effort, and very desperate people will pay your price. Supply/demand. I know I've paid a bit more than I wanted to on some things simply due to their unobtanium status. Not a buttload more, but somewhat more. When unobtanium sh*t falls in your lap, you grab it fast or someone else will.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
Now a days you cant buy anything anymore reasonable priced.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You'd be surprised how many dealership counter people do NOT want to do anything with old stuff....sooooo when somebody calls, they get the "nope, not available" line. So then they go look for it elsewhere, and well, the test is just ugly. Seen it in person a few times, and it's been happening for YEARS.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Its not just car parts going high on Ebay, plenty of other items go for high prices than elsewhere. I check Ebay out for used track and many sellers want more than the price of new track from hobby retailers. Similar issue with tools as well. You can still sometimes find deals on Ebay buts its becoming increasingly rarer. Wishful thinking I think is a common reason for sellers listing such high prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor