Price matching rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Went to Walmart today to get tires put on the wife's Santa Fe. Had to go in person Friday to see if I was ever going to get the last two Hankooks after almost a month wait to find out they have been there for sometime but never contacted me. So I scheduled them to put them on for today. Went in & got them done, all good until the check out. The guy told me they can't price match their .com price. Told them I've had it done in the past on tires for my truck & never was questioned, just matched & took my money. He calls for the auto manager & talked out of site, returned & still said it was a no go. With the manager in ear shot I said then we do have a problem cause if there's no price match as I have done in the past with the guy who ordered the tires even saying no problem, I was going to be going home with the old tires on the car with no charge to me. Not playing this game cause the .com price was really lower than they expected cause the wait for the tires (priced dropped for the weekend another $10 making them almost $40 than the store price). Not happy, the manage agreed to the match (as per the Walmart policy on line) & took my money. Ten he told me to remember for future reference to order from the .com & have them shipped in to get the cheaper price. Don't understand why after years of .com price matching for tires they'll fight it but I can do it in the rest of the store as I have also have done. Still think it's stupid the have the brick & mortar prices different than the .com just to have them price match themself. I do need to find a better source for good tires.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My guess is that their suppliers for tires may be from different ones, and those who go with .com are different than the normal store delivery. Not sure of their logistics, but that's what sounds like is going on. Theoretically, it shouldn't make a difference, but people walking in and buying tires aren't on the .com website so they probably hardly ever see someone asking for price matching. That's their hedge.

I'm simply speculating here, as I don't know what their sourcing situation is with the tires.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm lucky in that the tire place we use at work does us right due to how often we're buying wheels/tires. Don't know what I'll do after I'm done there, I faintly remember the drama that was always involved before I started buying there....

chevyryda

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2021
Went to Walmart today to get tires put on the wife's Santa Fe. Had to go in person Friday to see if I was ever going to get the last two Hankooks after almost a month wait to find out they have been there for sometime but never contacted me. So I scheduled them to put them on for today. Went in & got them done, all good until the check out. The guy told me they can't price match their .com price. Told them I've had it done in the past on tires for my truck & never was questioned, just matched & took my money. He calls for the auto manager & talked out of site, returned & still said it was a no go. With the manager in ear shot I said then we do have a problem cause if there's no price match as I have done in the past with the guy who ordered the tires even saying no problem, I was going to be going home with the old tires on the car with no charge to me. Not playing this game cause the .com price was really lower than they expected cause the wait for the tires (priced dropped for the weekend another $10 making them almost $40 than the store price). Not happy, the manage agreed to the match (as per the Walmart policy on line) & took my money. Ten he told me to remember for future reference to order from the .com & have them shipped in to get the cheaper price. Don't understand why after years of .com price matching for tires they'll fight it but I can do it in the rest of the store as I have also have done. Still think it's stupid the have the brick & mortar prices different than the .com just to have them price match themself. I do need to find a better source for good tires.
I hear you brother! Companies should honor their prices and stock. I’m having a problem with Vivid Racing. I ordered 4 wheels and the website said EVERYTHING was in stock. Just to be sure a messaged them two days after placing the order and was told EVERYTHING was in stock. Three days later two wheels show up and they have no ETA of the other two. I ask them to send me return labels because I didn’t want to wait for an unknown period of time. They tell me I’d have to pay return shipping and restocking fee. WHAT!?!? If they were in stock like the site said or verified when I asked before they shipped they we wouldn‘t be having this conversation. I check the site today and their website STILL shows those wheels being In Stock. No company integrity.

• Sad

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ive had good luck with Simpletire.com
Did check them out. Wally World did beat their price with both listed prices on the same Hankook but they could of took some of the cost out with the military 5% discount. I bookmarked them for when it's time for the Monte tires.

chevyryda

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 3, 2021
Did check them out. Wally World did beat their price with both listed prices on the same Hankook but they could of took some of the cost out with the military 5% discount. I bookmarked them for when it's time for the Monte tires.
I’ve gotten my best tire deals through Amazon and Jegs. Jegs offers a military/racer discount and often has coupons.

Nov 4, 2012
I have yet to find a great source for tires. When I was able to mount them myself, it didn't matter as much but a lot places get really shiddy with you when you bring your own tires that you bought elsewhere in for them to mount.

The last few sets of tires I've bought were bought online from Tirerack or Amazon and I also bought a couple sets of blemish tires at Canfield that I've had good luck with. My F150 is riding on blemish tires.

It's been a while since I've been there, but Discount Tire (not the same as the chain) on Ohio River Blvd was a good place to get tires if you don't mind generic brand tires. They usually use Sumic or Doral which are both made by Sumitomo.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Stores pricing is crazy ! I used to work for a nationwide chain of corporate stores that had service and retail in the same building. The price a part cost at the parts counter was less than on a work order on the SAME EXACT PART!! We were told that we are a shop and had to "mark up" the price. same part off the same shelf. Not one Corporate big wig could ever explain it correctly, and when asked what to do if a customer questioned it, to just match the walk in price. SMH total bullshit to rip people off.

• Sad

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I ordered rims and tires for one of my cars a couple months ago from Tirerack, shipped to my driveway mounted and balanced. They'll install them for free too if you go to one of their stores but it was just more convenient for me to do it myself. Price I paid was either cheaper or on-par with both local or other big name tire shops.

I know OP is talking about getting only tires, just figured I'd give my +1 for Tirerack.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor