PrintOSeal Intake Manifold Gaskets and Exhaust Heat Crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
What is the intention of PrintOSeal intake manifold gaskets ?

Are they for aluminum intake to iron heads, or iron intake to aluminum heads, or all aluminum set up...?

Also, I see a lot of these PrintOSeal gaskets, maybe even all, that don't have exhaust crossover openings and they block off the exhaust crossover ports...

Won't the hi temp heat burn right through the gasket or would that happen with a steel core center (s3 type) ?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
They are to provide superior sealing. Yes to helping aluminum heads and intakes seal. The silicone beads help seal. Any of the thicker composite intake gaskets can be a tight fit if heads are milled or intakes are slightly warped as many aftermarket ones are. The crossover is usually blocked as most aftermarket performance heads don't have a crossover. Yes, it will eventually burn through, unless it has a steel core, which most don't have.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
What is the intention of PrintOSeal intake manifold gaskets ?

Are they for aluminum intake to iron heads, or iron intake to aluminum heads, or all aluminum set up...?

Also, I see a lot of these PrintOSeal gaskets, maybe even all, that don't have exhaust crossover openings and they block off the exhaust crossover ports...

Won't the hi temp heat burn right through the gasket or would that happen with a steel core center (s3 type) ?
What ever happened with your oil pan gasket ? Did you wind up pulling the motor out ? Havent seen any comments since the original.

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
What ever happened with your oil pan gasket ? Did you wind up pulling the motor out ? Havent seen any comments since the original.
Well, after some good discussions in HotRodders forum with RWENUTZ, the whole reason why I was changing the oil pan gasket was because of an oil leak and I thought that either my rear main seal or oil pan gasket was the culprit so I was going to knock those two things out at once.

But after describing how the leak was running and where I would find the oil, I was told that the oil leak is coming from a higher source. Once I told him how my intake manifold was installed, he advised me that maybe my leak was coming from the back of the intake manifold where the China walls meet.

He told me I should have waited for the bead of sealant to dry up for 10 to 15 minutes and then place the intake manifold down and torque it down, instead, I laid down the intake manifold almost immediately from laying down the beads of sealant on the China walls...

But before I jump in the deep end of removing my intake manifold to check the China walls, I was advised to use fluorescent motor oil dye or some other type of way to source the leak... But I have to clean up whatever oil and residue is around the engine first.

I don't leak any motor oil on the ground, it is usually found on the bellhousing of the transmission and all over the starter...

It's been super cold here this past week and this weekend I have my daughter at my mom's house so I haven't had a chance to go out there and look for it.

Maybe I'll have time today or tomorrow though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
They are to provide superior sealing. Yes to helping aluminum heads and intakes seal. The silicone beads help seal. Any of the thicker composite intake gaskets can be a tight fit if heads are milled or intakes are slightly warped as many aftermarket ones are. The crossover is usually blocked as most aftermarket performance heads don't have a crossover. Yes, it will eventually burn through, unless it has a steel core, which most don't have.
If you get on the Edelbrock website and you look at your intake manifold and look at the installation instructions, they'll tell you what Fel-Pro gasket to use as an alternative from there gasket set to be used for your Edelbrock branded intake manifold.

For example my intake manifold is in Edelbrock Performer EPS...

Screenshot_20221120-044250-660.png

The instructions say if I don't use the Edelbrock intake manifold gaskets, the FEL-PRO alternatives are #1256 and #1205... However it states that 1205 is only used if you have an aluminum set of heads...so I bought the 1256...

Screenshot_20221120-041308-490.png

Screenshot_20221120-091521-778.png

My only issue with these is that they have the restrictive block plates for the exhaust port cross member, rather than full blocked...

My issue with that is I have a non-emissions engine and from what I read and hear online, the use of the exhaust port cross member ports is basically for emissions use only and I could be losing performance power and gas mileage versus blocking them off completely.

Here is a 1205...

Screenshot_20221120-091328-488.png
Screenshot_20221120-091417-774.png

You mentioned that with the 1205 not having a steel core would eventually burn through if I blocked the exhaust ports with just them...which is guaranteed to happen in my opinion.

One thing about the FEL-PRO PrintOSeal gaskets, is that they usually have two types, the original type like what you see with the 1256 and 1205 pictured, and they have a steel core version in the same version as the original PrintOSeal but only with a steel core center sandwiched between two gaskets... And they have the same part numbers as the originals but they have an "S3" at the end of the original part number, and they're 0.05" thicker ...

Here is the 1205S3 steel core gasket set...

Screenshot_20221120-085435-573.png
Screenshot_20221120-090312-133.png

I wanted to test that, he said he used it and they're holding up for him but he's not saying how long he's been using them I wanted to try these so bad but I'm in no financial position to be playing with money right now, so I went ahead and bought what would recommended in the instructions for my intake... You think if I call FEL-PRO, that they'll recommend that ? lol...

But if my engine is not emission setup, what are my cons for using the ones that I bought with the restrictive plates vs full blocked plates on my exhaust heat crossover ports ?

BONUS QUESTION: With a non emissions setup, should I even be running a PVC ? Probably so since it's a daily driver huh ?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I am not a fan of Printoseal type gaskets as I had a set fail on me. Also seen Ford guys complain about how common Printoseal gaskets fail for them. I prefer steel core shim intake gaskets with embossed beads around the ports. Don't use RTV around the intake ports, only around the coolant ports and China walls.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor