Pro Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIKD CUT

Apprentice
May 28, 2010
How many members on here are into the pro touring style??? That is the direction I'm headed in with my 87 Cutlass and just was wondering if anybody here had any tips or tricks.

Right now I have an Air Ride suspension, 17" torq thrust II wheels, and Nitto tires. Power plant, trans and rear end are next. Was thinking about a SBO or possibly an LS motor in the 400-500 hp range. Leaning towards a 6 speed trans, T56 possibly. Not sure on a rear end yet. What do you guys think would be the best option for a street, road race rear end???

Anyway, I would like to fit wider tires in the back and have heard about notching the frame to fit 315s??? I would like to fit wider tires and step up to 18" wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes. If anyone could provide any info or links I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

GBodyShop

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2007
NYC
WIKD CUT said:
How many members on here are into the pro touring style??? That is the direction I'm headed in with my 87 Cutlass and just was wondering if anybody here had any tips or tricks.

Right now I have an Air Ride suspension, 17" torq thrust II wheels, and Nitto tires. Power plant, trans and rear end are next. Was thinking about a SBO or possibly an LS motor in the 400-500 hp range. Leaning towards a 6 speed trans, T56 possibly. Not sure on a rear end yet. What do you guys think would be the best option for a street, road race rear end???

Anyway, I would like to fit wider tires in the back and have heard about notching the frame to fit 315s??? I would like to fit wider tires and step up to 18" wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes. If anyone could provide any info or links I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I bought a rear suspension set up from hotrodstohell.net they make rear suspension as if from nascar with full tuning. I want to get into one of my rides. I also have air ride suspension to tune from the driver seat. 17" i like the size but many say go for 18" unless i go for 17" up front and 18" at the rear. I also got with the suspension a 9" rear with 3 plugs, drain, fill and one for a pump to run through a oil cooler. Here some pics I hope to get it powered coated soon.

shortydoowop138

Greasemonkey
Feb 15, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
Nice fleet Gbody Shop.. I like the look/stance/driveability of pro-touring cars. I have an 84 Type T that I plan on wrenching on soon.. I'd like to go 18's front/20's rear w/2" drop spindles, 4 piston calipers, slotted/drilled rotors.. I know those mod's are mostly cosmetic but everyone knows that stopping is just as important as going.. Plus those mod's are cheaper than dropping in the Typhoon engine like I'd want to..

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Haven't seen many people talk about a truck arm suspension... I've only seen it mentioned once or twice before on a G-Body. Sometime in the far future I'm considering some sort of ladder bar-type setup, and going with a Watts link for centering.
When I brought the '78 home
DSC07674-1.jpg

How it currently sits
DSC03568.jpg

DSC03550.jpg

The short-term plan
Green_Malibu.png

How the '81 currently sits (parts from it go to the '78)
DSC00905.jpg

Check out FE3X_CLONE's thread on his Cutlass, he did the notch/315 setup you speak of, and he has quite a few other good ideas in there.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16132

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
WIKD CUT, sorry I hadn't sent you any more pictures by PM like you requested. Been a bit busy.

But since you posted this thread I figured I'd throw them in here for you to look at.

Here's a couple of pics of the frame notch shortly after we welded it back together:

notch7.jpg

notch6.jpg

One looking down from the top at the tire:

Frame06.jpg

This is one from inside the trunk showing the 335/35R17 tires I had on one wheel to test fitment. They are a tight, tight fit but still clear:

Wheels014copy.jpg

One from the side of the car with the 335's:

Wheels004copy.jpg

When we did the notch the body was off the frame. If you go that route you really should make up a rear frame brace that bolts to the bumper shock bolts. This will help keep the frame from moving on you. Believe me, even now on my car with the body back on the frame. if I remove the rear brace, I have to use a ratchet strap on the frame horns in the back to get it back on because the frame rails will spread apart just a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor