Problem removing dash 79 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
Hello

Today I finally decided to try to get my dash removed, so I could change my AC ducts to non AC. But - as it usually is - I wasn't able to remove it. Tried to follow my service manual, but no luck. The problems I encountered was:

There is a huge wire assembly attached to the backside of the instrument panel adapter, and it's the one thing that is keeping me from getting the dash out.

My service manual says (skipping the steps I've managed) on removing instrument panel assembly (dash):

7: Disconnect wire connectors from steering column
- I found one - are there more?

8: Disconnect chassis harness from engine harness at fuse block.
- Think I found it- Was the only harness that was removable from the block as far as I could tell.

9: Remove two screws attaching fuse block to dash
- Fuse block isn't attached to dash, but firewall. And removing it didn't seem to free up anything. There is still a bunch of wires going through the firewall that is connected without any connectors (as far as I could tell) to the fat wire harness I'm not able to remove.

13: Pull I.P assembly out far enough to disconnect accessory wiring and vacuum lines necessary to remove instrument panel assembly.
- Disconnected every connector I could find. Everyone was located just about right behind the wiper switch. But there is still a lot of wires from the big wire harness attached to the instrument panel adapter that does not have any connectors, and runs straight to the gigantic wire harness by the steering column.

What I'm trying to get across is that I can't see any way of disconnecting the wire harness attached to the panel adapter! There are some connectors there, but not enough to disengage the entire harness. The books says to remove the fuse block, but why is beyond me. The wires going to it is bundled together with the big fat harness by the steering column, and that again seems pretty unremovable.

On removing the instrument panel adapter, the book states:

6: Remove 2 screws securing I.P harness to intrument panel adapter.
-This must be the harness that is bothering me, and I can feel these two screws on the back. But even with my small hands (very small hands for a male - quite handy (!) in tight spots) I'm struggling to get to them with tools.

But the book wants me to remove the Instrument Panel assembly (dash) before removing panel adapter, and that brings us back to start. How on earth do I remove the dash when this stupid I.P harness seems to not have enought connectors to free it up from the big, stuck to-the-firewall/column harness?

Sorry for long post. Been a long, frustrating day lying in strange positions to solve this. Any advice?

Tommy

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Those big bundles of wires are clipped to the back of the dash, usually can just unhook them and be ok. You dont even have to take the main wiring out of the car to take out the dash. You can leave everything in the car including the ducting and wiring and just unhook everything attached to the dash

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Sorry but youre completly going about it the wrong way, the dash will come out as a whole with the fuse block, wire harness, gauges/upper pad and glove box.
Its litterally 4 bolts, 4 torx and 3 fuse block bolts and disconnecting wiring from the fuse block and column.

You dont have to touch any of the wiring connected to the dash, just the column, read this:
http://www.78-88olds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
88hurstolds said:
Sorry but youre completly going about it the wrong way, the dash will come out as a whole with the fuse block, wire harness, gauges/upper pad and glove box.
Its litterally 4 bolts, 4 torx and 3 fuse block bolts and disconnecting wiring from the fuse block and column.

You dont have to touch any of the wiring connected to the dash, just the column, read this:
http://www.78-88olds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272

I feel stupid now. Very new to the car hobby. Well, time to bolt it all up again, and do it like above. hehe.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
x2 on what 88hurstolds brought up. This would also be a good time to check the fuse block out and find any potential problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor