Problem's

Status
Not open for further replies.

83 cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
I have an 1983 t top cutlass that I want to replace the 307 with Chevy 350. My first question is what functions would I lose if I remove the computer. My second question is what can i do to get more leg room. I seen a lot of back and forth so I'd really like to get an answer from someone who's done this before.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For extra leg room I made relocation brackets for my driver's seat out of 1/4" plate and welded grade 8 bolts for the seat mounting, it gives me about 2" more room.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
For extra leg room I made relocation brackets for my driver's seat out of 1/4" plate and welded grade 8 bolts for the seat mounting, it gives me about 2" more room.

Wish you had a build thread on that Regal. Yo do nice work.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The computer basically monitors the emissions to adjust the carb to keep the engine to run "clean" & more efficient, works to operate the lock up feature of the transmission lock up converter. If something with the program is not met, it then trips the check engine light. I pulled mine out of my '81 after it kept shorting out the 39 circuit for the gauges & the original 229 ran better and was used to pass a few new '95 cars for the emissions test. You really won't have to many issues since the 350 you will put in won't use a computer carb. The transmission if still a lock up model can use an after market vacuum operated switch or one sourced from a non computer '80's full size truck.

83 cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
I have an 1983 t top cutlass that I want to replace the 307 with Chevy 350. My first question is what functions would I lose if I remove the computer. My second question is what can i do to get more leg room. I seen a lot of back and forth so I'd really like to get an answer from someone who's done this before.

83 cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
Thanks for the info. I plan to tackle it this weekend
The computer basically monitors the emissions to adjust the carb to keep the engine to run "clean" & more efficient, works to operate the lock up feature of the transmission lock up converter. If something with the program is not met, it then trips the check engine light. I pulled mine out of my '81 after it kept shorting out the 39 circuit for the gauges & the original 229 ran better and was used to pass a few new '95 cars for the emissions test. You really won't have to many issues since the 350 you will put in won't use a computer carb. The transmission if still a lock up model can use an after market vacuum operated switch or one sourced from a non computer '80's full size truck.

83 cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2016
So could I just simply unplug the harness at the fire wall or will there be some wires I'll have to use

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You can unplug it. The wires that go to the computer snake between the A/C box and passenger inner fender. Use a normal carb and a normal HEI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor