Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Hello
I would like to hear opinions on the fitment of Proforged steering parts
I need to completely rebuild my front end but am concerned by a tread started earlier this year
The guy (“ regalregal”) had issues with proforged tie rods hitting spindles I think it was .
I want my job to go smoothly should I just use Moog parts ?
I’ve heard moog wears out pretty quick
What do you guys use ?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What have you used in the past? Nothing is built the same way it used to be, that's for sure. Also, was it verified that the parts ordered were the parts received?

I have limited experience with Moog and the older Echlin stuff from NAPA, but have had good luck with them in the past on the 60s/70s A-bodies. The G-body stuff I've used is all GM, so whoever made those parts, that's what I've used.

I've purchased individual components from GM to build a complete steering linkage end to end, and also got hold of a factory unit that was pre-assembled.
G-body NOS steering assembly.jpg

There are always some quality-level parts that will wear out quickly according to statistical outliers. It's one thing if 2 people out of 100 say they have had bad luck with something. It's another when 90 out of 100 have had bad luck. It's fine to notice the bad reviews, but you also need to look at price points. HD, quality suspension parts are $$. Stock stuff in aftermarket seems to come in varying quality levels as well it seems on cursory checks. Who knows if that "better" part isn't just a re-boxed lower quality part? I dunno.

So basically, I said all that to say nothing of any help.

Reactions: 1 user

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
What have you used in the past? Nothing is built the same way it used to be, that's for sure. Also, was it verified that the parts ordered were the parts received?

I have limited experience with Moog and the older Echlin stuff from NAPA, but have had good luck with them in the past on the 60s/70s A-bodies. The G-body stuff I've used is all GM, so whoever made those parts, that's what I've used.

I've purchased individual components from GM to build a complete steering linkage end to end, and also got hold of a factory unit that was pre-assembled.
View attachment 201930

There are always some quality-level parts that will wear out quickly according to statistical outliers. It's one thing if 2 people out of 100 say they have had bad luck with something. It's another when 90 out of 100 have had bad luck. It's fine to notice the bad reviews, but you also need to look at price points. HD, quality suspension parts are $$. Stock stuff in aftermarket seems to come in varying quality levels as well it seems on cursory checks. Who knows if that "better" part isn't just a re-boxed lower quality part? I dunno.

So basically, I said all that to say nothing of any help.
I’ve never done this before , so have no reference to go from
Im not as concerned on price points as I am on longevity and correct fitment

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Are you going to be auto-xing? Or run your car hard around corners. Have you done a bunch of suspension upgrades that will require more HD parts than stock? I have no idea what you're after, so if you just want stock performance, Moog won't do you wrong in my experience. How fast is fast? I've seen brand new cars come with crappy tie rod ends (Mopar) and couldn't believe a new car (back in the 80s) with a thousand miles on it had worn out lower ball joint on it. Fixed under warranty, but even OEM parts sometimes got a lemon.

If you daily drive the car, then that's what I would do. If you drive it occasionally, it won't wear out as fast as you think it will. But hey, it's your car, your safety, and you know what you can live with. I hadn't even heard about proforged parts until this thread, so I can't comment on them specifically.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Are you going to be auto-xing? Or run your car hard around corners. Have you done a bunch of suspension upgrades that will require more HD parts than stock? I have no idea what you're after, so if you just want stock performance, Moog won't do you wrong in my experience. How fast is fast? I've seen brand new cars come with crappy tie rod ends (Mopar) and couldn't believe a new car (back in the 80s) with a thousand miles on it had worn out lower ball joint on it. Fixed under warranty, but even OEM parts sometimes got a lemon.

If you daily drive the car, then that's what I would do. If you drive it occasionally, it won't wear out as fast as you think it will. But hey, it's your car, your safety, and you know what you can live with. I hadn't even heard about proforged parts until this thread, so I can't comment on them specifically.
Not auto crossing but I would like to be able to hit corners a little faster
My future plans include full ridetech coilover system but for now I have bell tech drop spindles ready to install with moog 5660 springs and BMR drop springs for the rear
I want to rebuild front end as I do spindles/springs ball joints etc
Right now the car feels almost dangerous to drive on uneven roads or heavily rutted highways

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Ok then everyone agrees I should just use moog for everything?
I think it will be the least expensive way to go and I’m sure everything will fit
Normally if there is a “good part or a better part”, I’ll always go for the better part
I just didn’t want to go to big cash and effort expense to find out later I could have done better for just a few $ more
Thanks 69hurstolds

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Moog for me for anything that I don't want to fail prematurely.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
I think I used proforged on wife's work car back in the day tie rod ends didn't last 15,000. Went in for new tires I thought they were pulling a fast one I said show me. They were bad

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Working on a lot of late model stuff I have seen a lot of newer Moog stuff fail prematurely. Just went through this with their problem solver control arms on a 2005 Grand Am. Balls joints failed within 5,000 miles.
I never liked how they over size the lower ball joints on the G body and other press in style ball joints. I try to stick with oem or nos stuff anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor