Progression Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Neat stuf... im a good 2yrs late, but im now just finding about this when i was looking up info on a ZZ4 distributor.

Link - https://progressionignition.com/

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I like it.

But ya know, there are these other items that work similarly referred to as stand alone engine management systems that will do exactly the same …….. and more.

I understand Carb Lovers and it’s proven that a carb is the most effective way to make horsepower - yes, more power can be generated from a carb than any EFI system. But dang, if you’re willing to swap to this, then swap to a TB and tune all of it from your phone, tablet or laptop. Or old skool all of it and tune the dizzy.

No matter of my opinion, this is ultra neat and a quick way for people to figure out the benefit of timing adjustments quickly and easier than making manual adjustments.

Reactions: 1 users

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
I've got one and love it! I have not had to physically touch the distributor since I put it in. It is dead on and easy to adjust on the fly while driving.

It is nice to use the tach and map sensor for carb tuning under the hood.

All my ignition and plug fowling issues are gone. I have never had a carburated car that was so responsive. I will put one on any future carburated vehicle.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It is nice to use the tach and map sensor for carb tuning under the hood
Sounds like it’s the old school method of tuning via driving around with a vacuum gauge hooked up lol.

Do you use this to tune light throttle cruising? What carb are you using this with?

Reactions: 1 user

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Sounds like it’s the old school method of tuning via driving around with a vacuum gauge hooked up lol.

Do you use this to tune light throttle cruising? What carb are you using this with?
It basically is like the old school method. Being able to adjust idle rpm and max vacuum without going from under the hood to the dash and back and forth is nice. I used it to tune all points. You can see where you're at in the rpm range and what vacuum is while looking at the timing table. If you want to adjust while you are driving you just push your changes to the timing table and it changes instantly. I have it set pretty close to 40 degrees BTDC after it starts up throughout the range. I've got an Edelbrock Performer Series carb.

Startup is easy at 10 degrees BTDC. I had issues with previous HEI distributors not giving me enough mechanical advance and I would either have trouble starting with too much advance or WOT would be sacrificed. I haven't had any issues since putting this in.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Most G bodies already have electronic timing control from the factory. Can this system work with the CCC system or do you need to downgrade to a pre computer Qjet?

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Most G bodies already have electronic timing control from the factory. Can this system work with the CCC system or do you need to downgrade to a pre computer Qjet?
Pre computer. This is a stand alone distributor configured via Bluetooth connection to an app on a mobile device. You supply power and vacuum only.

• Useful

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
The ignition lock, plug and play replacement of the HEI, rev limiter, and retard for a power adder made the decision for me.

I wanted to install a hidden kill switch. The time I would have had in that, not wanting to hack up wiring and the cost of upgrading the ignition still or going to fuel injection, I figured I would give it a try.

I always wanted to install fuel injection but never did and I have a nitrous plate under the carb that I would have had to get rid of and start over on.

The only thing I don't like about the carb is starting when it has sat for awhile. I am planning on installing a electric fuel pump that can be drawn through after startup with the mechanical just to prime the carb when it has sat for a long time.

I ended up with a timing table that is 10 degrees at startup, 30 degrees at idle and just a little off idle, then 40 degrees. The throttle response is awesome! This motor was built 25 years ago and never ran like this.

Last edited:

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
83MonteCarloSS - I ended up with a timing table that is 10 degrees at startup, 30 degrees at idle and just a little off idle, then 40 degrees. The throttle response is awesome! This motor was built 25 years ago and never ran like this

The more intial timing you have, the smoother the idle, more complete combustion and power you will have, theres no way you can get away with that much on a mechanical distributor unless it was locked out for racing purposes. That 10 degree at startup gives you easy starts, the 30 degree at idle gives you more grunt from take off to cruising speeds, when you go WOT, the timing table kicks in to retard it 34-36 degrees where a SBC is happiest, depending on compression, fuel grade to keep you away from pinging/detonation. From what i've been reading over the past week over iginition timing basis and performance enhansments, you can actually loose up to 100 hp if the timing is not set correctly, turning a 450hp engine into a dog that just wont hunt instead of desperately chasing that rabbit enough to eat it.
As much as i can appreciate continue working on mechanical HEI distributors to keep them reliable... along comes this gem, its impressive for sure, sells for $459, a wee bit pricey for my taste, but perhaps one day i'll switch.

The distributor thats currently in my malibu, is some aftermarket replacement, i have no info on brand, so its a guessing game, its working well though, no complaints, but i do have plans to tune it, make it better hopefully. The last owner said the original went out, to what extent, i dont know, but too bad he didnt ask for it back, the garage that replaced it probably kept it, or tossed it, either way, its gone. Iuckily, i've located a brand new original ZZ4 distributor for $205 from a GM dealership online, only three issues, it will need a recurve(change to lighter advance springs / keeping original weights), shimming the shaft end play at the gear, and change to a non adjustable 10 degree vacuum advance can, the original 20 degree one is considered too much advancement when it comes into play.

The one i plan on getting, if and when the time comes... https://progressionignition.com/shop/ols/products/chevy-smallbig-block-v8-hei-distributor

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I've decided to make the jump much sooner than later.

It should make a fine edition to my ZZ4 engine, bringing it to its full potential, so no more guessing games with the mechanical stuff.

I plan on keeping the working mechanical one as a spare, perhaps one day, hopefully find a machine shop locally with a SUN distributor machine and have it set up proper

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor