Project 302

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithnh

n00b
Nov 30, 2013
New to this board , found it googling "body mounts for 84 Cutlass". Hopefully I can make a contribution and learn some along the way. Was trying to post pictures but now have lost them. My Asiatic blue 84 plain jane with vinyl top is still sitting in my driveway waiting for me to finish her. A pretty thing to me that I love to drive, the last body style I liked from GM really. I bought her in 99 with 41000 miles she has 84000 now. She still smelled new when I bought her and the taillights were perfectly clear like new. The perforated vinyl seats are still almost perfect, I take special pains getting in the car not to break down the side of the bench seat. The paint was faded and the frame was bad, got her for a song. The frame was only bad near the arches and I got that fixed easily and repainted her original as I liked the color and still do. I never did gain an affinity for the carb 3.8 6 though as it got awful mileage and really had no power. Well the frame went bad again in several places this time including near the steering box so I put her down till I could figure out what to do. There is a through hole in the right rear quarter too, not sure exactly what I should do there. Dont really want to change a whole quarter for that but want that no-bondo look.

So my plan is to resurrect her sporting a V8 that will get better than the 16mpg she was getting, have significantly more power, a much sweeter sound and a stick. To that end I have focused on resurrecting the DZ302 Chevrolet idea with some new twists. My goal being a worker bee with a significant power increase, tolerable fuel economy and torque and hp equal to or exceeding that of a stock 350 chev from low to high(er) RPM. Using an 89 350 pickup Gen 1 roller ready sbc engine modified with fastburn vortec style aluminum heads, a lightened rotating assy and a CC 268 solid roller cam. Carb at first to debug then fuel injection possibly TPI then possibly accessory Pro-charger. Right now I have had a Monte Carlo chassis complete including brake lines, wheels and tires removed by a friend at a local junkyard and have a complete v8 rolling chassis to get ready for the conversion. I have decided to use a particular coating to preserve the chassis called Aluthane which is a MCU moisture cured urethane that is aluminum filled. Will top coat with POR Black Cote or similar. I wanted to give the job to a local business that does sandblasting and mechanical work and have them disassemble the front end for blast paint and reassemble with new bushing kit preferably of the same type I will use for sway bars body mounts and rear end mounts so I can have some uniformity and hopefully better performance. All new factory bushings stem to stern would probably be just fine but if poly-this or that bushings are signifcant handling improvements I might be swayed towards them. Will be changing shocks and springs will not be buying tubular a-arms or drag racing mods as this is a street car. There is a possibility it will see some high speed every once in awhile so if anyone has any input on high speed frame enhancements or where to check/reinforce for that I would love to hear about them. Would like to now about bushing sets end to end and where best deals can be made on them too, need them quick. Thanks Keith

Welcome aboard.
Sounds like a great plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor