BETTY RUMBLE - '87 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I will give that a shot later on.... it just might be the same. I didn't want to go tearing into it, because I have a bad habit of permanently breaking stuff on those kind of expeditions lol

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
So yeah. I feel stupid. Not quite as stupid as if I'd broke the thing trying to fix it, which happens more than I'd like, hence the overcaution.

It did indeed come apart. With a little bit of persuasion, it was initially sticky Nd didn't want to move. But now it's straight and the only OCD trigger is the wheel being a brighter shade of blue.

You can see there's even an index to line the thing up properly. Somewhere along the way it got unfixed. Thanks everyone.

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Got my kids canoe out of the way in my shop (ugh don't ask) and got her out last night, drove to werk today (SOON). ... not bad if you squint and don't get too close lol.

But... she's not downshifting into 1st soon enough. Lugs a bit. If I shift out if OD before slowing down it's not quite as bad. Guess I need to check the TV cable. Hope that's all it is. :/

IMG_2080.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
doing some reading up on the symptoms and looks like its probably going to be the TCC solenoid. boo. Anything else I should be looking at replacing while I have the transmission pan dropped? ick what a mess. besides the filter and fluid and gasket obviously.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Got underneath and changed the TCC solenoid and the 4th gear pressure switch. Apart from a messy slog it really wasn't that bad. Followed the directions here: http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html and so far so good. no leaks, no bogging, and maybe its just my imagination but it feels better on the road, seems to be upshifting higher, where its supposed to.... (bonus fluid/filter change, but it was clean clean clean so no worries there)

I also put in a high-amp alternator, because I was getting low voltage on the gauges when I'd start the car, and it would only come up when I revved it up a bit. Figured I'd upgrade it when I replaced it.

Now, though, brand new alternator, the voltage gauge doesn't come up past about 10. I measured the battery with the car running and its around 12, but that was on a crappy $5 analog meter, need a battery for my good one :/ ... I'm going to go put the old alternator in and see what it does. Wonder if I need a new gauge. blah. Will report back in a minute.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
yeah, its the gauge or the wiring to it. I just measured 13.3 at the battery (12.2 w/o) with the engine running, so I guess I'm not terribly worried about it.... Shouldn't up and die on me anyway.

86MCSS86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
GP403 what part numbers did you get for the tcc solenoid and pressure switch? The monte write up shows part number for SS specific parts. Thanks

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor