BETTY RUMBLE - '87 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I've never seen a cruise control like that. Very cool! I just ripped out the stock vac controlled unit, wiring, connections, reservoir...and tossed everything in the dumper...sorry. It had no connection to the speedo cable, just the vacuum lines, carb connection, and a large multiple pin electrical plug at the back of the motor. I'd like to see if you can get it to work again.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
nope, no K34. I thought so. Out she comes. Well, I'll still check to be sure, but yeah.... No sweat.

img_3222-jpg.44395

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
nope. no module on the acc. pedal bracket. Sooooo....yanked most of it out. There's an adapter/sensor on the speedo cable that shouldn't be there, and a wiring harness still going into the dash. I'll hopefully be in there starting tomorrow night doing the gauges so I'll get that then, too. Eventually I'll replace the speedo cable with a single piece, but for now it stays, because I bought a shorter one to fix the flutter and noise and I'm using it. :mad::mad:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Nearly finished the gauge conversion, but the oil pres. switch has me stuck. There are like no flats or notches on it to speak of to get a wrench or socket on. Maybe the remnants of a 12-point pattern but I dunno. Not sure how to get it out (it is on top of the timing cover, right?) I hear there's a tool for this, but I might have to get an angle adapter to get the new sender in, doesn't look like it'll fit.

Ripped out what was left of the aftermarket cruise setup. Put in a single-piece speedo cable. I was going to swap the odometers but couldn't figure out how to get them separated from the gauge without breaking it..... wouldn't have worked anyway since the sweep gauge had it in the lower section where on the round gauge it was in the upper, with the trip in the lower.... So, took a pic with both units and will print that off and date it so I know what the actual mileage is later on. Wasn't about to go messing with it too much because with my luck I'd break it.

Question for anyone paying attention: There was a white wire already on the tach terminal on the distributor. It disappeared into a harness just below so I have no idea why it was there or where it goes. I was hoping maybe it just went up under the dash to an empty connector but I didn't find it there, either. I disconnected it and hooked my tach filter up to it, and connected that straight into pin 14 on the dash. Even the service manual doesn't show anything but a tach connected there, so I'm really not sure what I disconnected.

Put LED's in the new cluster. Dimmable ones for the illumination and regulars for the indicators/blinkers. I'm waiting on the oil sender situation before I hook the battery back up, but I'll have to probably turn a few around to get them working, and then hope everything else is good. Have the LED flasher relay that needs to be put in as well. Will report back when I get it going again, hopefully tomorrow.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Well whatever that tach wire was, apparently wasn't important. functioning tach, speedo (no more noise/flutter yay), volts, and fuel. brake and SES lights work. oil will have to wait until I get the 45* adapter in the mail (I went looking this morning! did find the tool.) temp gauge isn't working tho, so I have to figure out what's up there. The sending unit connector was a bit dodgy when I took it off the switch, so maybe there's something there. I will check the pin in the dash too to make sure its contacting. The LED's work well enough. Need to turn around a couple of the illumination ones (polarization). And actually put the dimmable ones I got in instead (duh) and make that work.... but no fires or explosions or fried electrical systems. Me +1.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
...so I go back out there and happen to look at the 403 on the stand. Sticking out of it AT A 45* ANGLE is the oil press. sender. Robbed it and stuck it on PBB, and I have oil pressure now. Not sure if it was leaking, it may have to get cranked around another turn.

So are my eyes deceiving me or are there two temp sensors in the intake on this 307? maybe I replaced the wrong one? (Admittedly I just went after the first one I saw..) Consulting the book next.... Maybe I can just swap wires....

...waiting for it to cool down....

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
yup. wrong one. :eyeroll: learned something new today

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So are my eyes deceiving me or are there two temp sensors in the intake on this 307?

Short answer? Yes. There should be 2 oil pressure senders. One is a pressure sending unit (for the rallye pac gauges), while the other is an oil pressure switch for the idiot lights in case the car didn't get the gauge option.
I've never run mine low on or out of oil to be able to tell you if the idiot light comes on even with the gauge package, but that would be my assumption...
I run them both just as the factory designed just in case.
Hope this helps.
Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor