BETTY RUMBLE - '87 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
OK so I am an idiot for two reasons. 1) I have the DKGRN wire into the gauge input when it should be the DKGRN/WHT.... The DKGRN is for the indicator, which would explain a lot. 2) WHERE THE HELL IS THE DKGRN/WHT WIRE? Either its hidden up in there where I can't find it, its not in the same bundle with the rest, or it doesn't even continue through the firewall. In which case #%&!#$% I have to perform surgery on the fuse block connector. Possible it just doesn't go thru?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: nope it's not there. :mad::mad::mad: Also, what dumbass thought it would've a good idea to bolt the wiring harness to the back of the dash insert in such a way that makes it a royal pita to get at. Good lord. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

image.jpeg

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Hey let us see that embarrassing vanity plate. Lol

On the topic of the Guages I put Led back lighting in my 87 dash.

Attachments

• 20150121_164447.jpg
    20150121_164447.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 242
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Heh. So the wire isn't there under the dash. Goes to the firewall but nothing past. Thanks GM. Oh and thx GM too for bolting the wiring harness to the backside of the dash insert. That was a joy undoing that.

So now I have a choice. I either do it the right way, pull the fuse block and put the wire in the right place, or just splice a wire in under the hood and just run it thru. Decisions.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Surprising that it's not under the dash somewhere. Not doubting you, just surprised.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Yeah that's why I tore in there. Had to be sure. Was hoping it would maybe be in that bundle and I just couldn't see it.

I did change out the bulb for the light switch with an LED while I'm in there. What a let down. I thought maybe it'd light up the whole switch, but noooo. One little tiny blue dot. Ugh. On to find the right color wire and get this done.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'm sure you've seen this but thought I'd post just in case....

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/eint_rallye_swap.php

quite a section on the coolant temp sensor......

Reason 3 I'm an idiot... That's actually what I used while I was doing it, printed it off and everything. I errantly assumed (don't say it!) that "swapping out the temp switch for a sender" meant using the same kind, and not switch to a one-wire sender and having to change the connector. Which is exactly what the instructions say. I know, I know. That would be the simplest course right now. I need to go to town for some tools anyway. I need this part wrapped up so I can move on to the LED blinkers and then get back to work on the GP until winter.

Although, I've got stuff torn apart so maybe I should just go ahead and do it the "#2" way. I'm gonna say no. Take the easier more expensive route and get a working gauge.

Derp.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
-- coolant temp sender problem: FIXED. I have temperature now. Always read the instructions carefully. Several times. Don't be like me.

-- temporarily solved the LED flasher issue. Put normal bulbs back in the rear turn signal and front corner marker sockets. The dash indicators are full on with the lights on, but I have signals with the lights on, which is more important. I'll address this later, its not that important. The way the turn signal circuit works I'm not sure its possible to put LED's in it and have it work properly at all with the headlights on, without lots of modification.

-- She's no longer toothless. Grille fixed. Yay. Slightly less embarrassing.

Wife's car is in the shop, so I'll be DD'ing the old girl until its back. Hopefully it goes well with no incidents. I'm not too worried but then again I am.

IMG_1865.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Working on the prototype lol.

IMG_1996.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor