BUILD THREAD Project I better learn what I'm doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
So I just finished up my first transmission swap this weekend. Took me longer than it should of but only worked on it here and there. So my confidence is up because it went smoother than I thought it would. Last week I was on craigslist to see if there was any new parts on there. Came across a 1981 cutlass roller. Went and looked at and now it's in my back yard!! :) Don't know much about the car besides its originally from Califonia. The body is very solid and frame has no rust holes. I knew I shouldn't buy it but with the condition it was in I would of hated myself for not getting it. Couple of bad things. Its been sitting outside with no windows for who knows how long. Floor boards in the car are starting to rust. Also at sometime somebody decided to cut a hole in the roof for a moon roof that wasnt installed. Im not to sure on the plans for it yet. The one thing I know for sure is I want to pull the body off the frame and start there. I'm still torn right now about if I want to use the body tub from my 88 or the one thats on the 81. The 88 needs the rockers repaired on both sides and a couple spots in the trunk fixed. The 81 would need to have complete interior swapped over to it plus all windows and such. Open to any suggestions on this. I also need to go through the car and actually figure out what is all in it. This is probably going to be a slow moving project but will update when I make progress. With the knowledge and help from the great people on the forum I think I should be able to make a half way decent car.

Attachments

• DSC_3031.JPG
    DSC_3031.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 561
  • DSC_3024.JPG
    DSC_3024.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 440
  • DSC_3025.JPG
    DSC_3025.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 361
  • DSC_3027.JPG
    DSC_3027.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 401
  • DSC_3028.JPG
    DSC_3028.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 454
  • DSC_0149.JPG
    DSC_0149.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC_0151.JPG
    DSC_0151.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 412
Reactions: 1 users

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Just a little update if anyone cares. Got the blue car running pretty good after fixing the transmission leak, melting the wire from the alternator to the battery and fixing that. All I have planned for it now is drive it and enjoy it. What I did do today was move the parts car into the garage. I have 3 goals for the week.
1.) Cut the motor mounts out. Don't onow what but somebody welded them in.
2.) Clean everything out and see whats all useable out of the junk in the car. I also think theres a dead rodent or something in the trunk because it doesn't smell good.
3.) This ones going to be some work for me. Try to figure out what all the wiring is under the hood before I start taking stuff apart.
Wish me luck. Im sure I will be searching here and google a lot while I try to leatn what I'm doing while building this car.

Attachments

• DSC_3269.JPG
    DSC_3269.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 319
  • DSC_3270.JPG
    DSC_3270.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 307
  • DSC_3271.JPG
    DSC_3271.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 337

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think the parts car appears to be just that, a parts car and I would probably either use the rockers off that for the 88' if they are clean enough or buy aftermarket replacement rockers for it and weld them in

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I think the parts car appears to be just that, a parts car and I would probably either use the rockers off that for the 88' if they are clean enough or buy aftermarket replacement rockers for it and weld them in

Thats the dilema I've been having. The parts car seems to be solid body wise but a lot of work to get everything else in order. I know I will be using the frame from that car. The 88 the rockers are bad and the floor on the drivers side is getting pretty soft. At somepoint there was undercoating put on the bottom of the car and Im assuming it was done to hide whatever rust there was. So basically my options are use the parts car and swap complete interiors, glass and redo all the wiring. Or use the 88 and have somebody replace the rockers and floor. Either way I think they are both pretty big jobs.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Rockers and floor panels are not all that hard to do but paying someone to do it will be costly.
I would say take the money you would be paying in body labor and invest it in a decent mig welder and maybe take some welding classes to learn how to use it, in the long run it will pay for itself many times over.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Rockers and floor panels are not all that hard to do but paying someone to do it will be costly.
I would say take the money you would be paying in body labor and invest it in a decent mig welder and maybe take some welding classes to learn how to use it, in the long run it will pay for itself many times over.

I actually bought myself a mig welder back in march. I think it's a pretty decent machine. It's a hobart 140. I bought it just for the purpose of learning how to weld and fixing little things here and there when they arise. I can get metal to stick together but it doesnt look pretty. I still need a lot more practice. I also have it setup for flux core right not but when I get some spare money will be getting a tank for it. Just makes me a little nervous cuttung the floor out of the car when I have no experience. I would probably use the parts car for practice first.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I actually bought myself a mig welder back in march. I think it's a pretty decent machine. It's a hobart 140. I bought it just for the purpose of learning how to weld and fixing little things here and there when they arise. I can get metal to stick together but it doesnt look pretty. I still need a lot more practice. I also have it setup for flux core right not but when I get some spare money will be getting a tank for it. Just makes me a little nervous cuttung the floor out of the car when I have no experience. I would probably use the parts car for practice first.

while you learn to weld your grinding skills will increase....:)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The Hobart 140 will do the job, definitely get a tank for it and if you don't already have one get a nice auto darkening welding helmet with a large viewing window.
Also find or buy some scrap metal that is the same gauge thickness as the floorboards and rockers and practice on that first and maybe watch some how to videos on Youtube.
Once you gain some confidence in your welds you will be amazed at the things you will be able to do on your car without paying for labor.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The Hobart 140 works great on sheet metal.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
So it's been decided!! The floor will be replaced in the 88. Was cleaning out the parts car today and found some holes in the floor that I nwver saw cause there was so much stuff in it. I'm guessing it rusted from the car sitting outside with no windows and the water pooling where the front seats would be. Everything else on the car is clean. I made some progress today also. Got the front fenders and doors off. I was not expecting the doors to be as heavy as they were. Also after getting the fenders off I noticed that the front support is loose. It just flops around. I'm guessing it not supposed to be like that?
DSC_3275.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor