CUTLASS Project "In between"

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Flat top pistons so yeah probably 8.5 to 1 or somewhere in there, about the best i was going to get without some domed pistons and i just wasnt going to do that for a play engine.
Who makes flat top pistons for a 260? I thought the stock pistons were a small dish. If those flat top pistons sit .025" in the hole, you actually should be around 9.5 to 1, if they are a true flat top. That SP2P intake should work perfectly with the 500 cfm carb. An 800 cfm Qjet would overwhelm the intake at full throttle, part throttle was amazing. The 450ish GM TBI worked well with it, I could do a one wheel peel with it and pulled fine to the 4200 rpm shift points, idle to 4000 rpm is its rating. Good luck and Thornton Jr manifolds are a nice upgrade for a 260.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Looks like a stock dished piston to me. I'm no pro though....

Attachments

• 20210515_185529 (1).jpg
    20210515_185529 (1).jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 112
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I think they are around 10cc but could not find that info again. If that is right, it will a touch below 8.5 to 1.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Too much cam is a great place for the compression equalizer :

1624499234390.png

Looks great though, really glad to see you and your son having fun with this!!!! Keep his hands dirty!

Reactions: 3 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Who makes flat top pistons for a 260? I thought the stock pistons were a small dish. If those flat top pistons sit .025" in the hole, you actually should be around 9.5 to 1, if they are a true flat top. That SP2P intake should work perfectly with the 500 cfm carb. An 800 cfm Qjet would overwhelm the intake at full throttle, part throttle was amazing. The 450ish GM TBI worked well with it, I could do a one wheel peel with it and pulled fine to the 4200 rpm shift points, idle to 4000 rpm is its rating. Good luck and Thornton Jr manifolds are a nice upgrade for a 260.
Yep you are correct they are a small dish, idk if i was thinking of another engine or just having a brain fart first thing in the morning but my mistake. Either way though will be better than it was before by some degree. I didnt want to go big on the carb after seeing the tiny ports on that SP2P intake, and with such a small displacement it wouldn't need a lot of carb anyway. The Thornton manifolds are something that i am more personally excited about because back in the day i cant tell you how many 307 powered cars i had that i would block off the crossover port on the passenger manifold so i could run dual exhaust without having to run the crossover and they never seemed to be real good and always were a pain. So having a bolt on manifold that i dont have to do that is really cool, i just told my son the other day he's lucky because i sure didn't have all this fancy stuff on any of my earlier cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Too much cam is a great place for the compression equalizer :

View attachment 178462

Looks great though, really glad to see you and your son having fun with this!!!! Keep his hands dirty!

No kidding there! We had talked about upgrading it in the future when he's older just to see what it will take. I have to admit the small little engine on some boost would be fun.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, between Thornton, Mark Remmel, Rocket Racing and BTR to a lesser extent there is a ton of Olds parts available that weren't a few years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor