PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So some of you may have seen the post ( Thanks Ribbedroof ) where this car was for sale in Oklahoma City last week, on Craigslist for $1500. Since I have a 1978 Buick Century 2 door Aeroback, I was interested. I contacted the seller by text to see if he still had the car, and to ask for a few more pics, since I live 7 hours away in Houston. He responded with a better description of the car, and a few more pics. Since the body looked decent, and the dash was not cracked, I told him I was still interested. He responded by saying that someone was coming to get the car in 2 hours, but if I wanted to pay $1750 he would hold it for me. So I quickly became uninterested, and told him I don't play those games, and decided to move on. Two days later... he texted me saying the car was still available, and he had lowered the price. WTF?? So I asked him what happened, and why the buyer did not take the car?? He said someone tried to scam him... "A guy who lives on a military base sent him a check by FedEx that was no good, and was trying to get his bank account information". Ok... so he updated the CL ad, and sure enough, the car was now listed for $1000 obo. So I'm thinking... this guy needs the money. I texted him back, and told him I was interested again, and what was his bottom $$. He responded back with $800. I told him SOLD, but I had to work that night, but would come get the car the next morning after I got off work. He said "Kool" and sent me the address where the car was. I arrived in OKC, and to my surprise, the car was in pretty good shape. I traded $800 for the car title, and loaded it up - DONE DEAL!!

BACK STORY - The original owner died last year, and the son inherited several cars, shop equipment, and some land. The son sold it to the guy I bought it from. He parked it at his sister's house, because he had nowhere to park it. It sat on the street all summer, and got one of those stickers on the window saying "your sh*t is about to be towed away if you don't move it" The guy said he never drove it after he bought it ( no tags, no inspection - never titled it into his name ). His sister told him to get it out of there, and he just wanted it gone...

PROS - V8 ( 260ci ) - auto, P/W, P/L, A/C, tilt, cruise, buckets & console, good glass, perfect grille, aluminum bumper supports, crack-free dash, pretty nice seats, console lid not broken, rear package shelf in great shape, headliner intact, owner's manual, original keys, brand new battery (12/18 sticker), new FBody radiator, new upper radiator hose

CONS - needs a little body work, mismatched wheels ( IDK? ), trunk will not open ( the lock rod was hanging out of the drain hole in the bottom of the spare tire well - may have to drill ?? ), rusty original exhaust system has a hole in it before the muffler ( it's loud ), steering column is wasted ( it's junk ), needs weatherstripping.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the car - especially the price!

SHORT TERM GOALS -Clean, clean, clean, find a cheap set of wheels I'll be happy with for awhile, degrease the engine, give it a good tune up, change all fluids, fix the exhaust, fix trunk, install tilt column from my 1980 parts car.

LONG TERM GOALS - More power (Big block Olds - LS ??), beefier transmission, suspension upgrade, larger wheels, Maaco paint job.
Here's the pics. Tell me what you guys think.
IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 20 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I like it! You did very well, my friend. It looks solid as they come. Clean interior, nice dash.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'll give you twice what you paid if you deliver it.

• Haha

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I like it! You did very well, my friend. It looks solid as they come. Clean interior, nice dash.
Thanks Jack. It is pretty solid. I'll continue to post my progress.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Cool.

Hell, if he'd posted photos as good as those that you did, I might have gone to look at it. Luckily, don't need it, so no real loss

Glad it worked out for you!

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Cool.

Hell, if he'd posted photos as good as those that you did, I might have gone to look at it. Luckily, don't need it, so no real loss

Glad it worked out for you!
It was only 30-40 minutes from you. I drive farther than that for work each day, LOL. I'm surprised that none of you Oklahoma boys ( Ribbedroof, BAR50, GP403, HAFROD, etc. ) went to get this car. It was really worth it for me. Needed it? NO. Wanted it? YES!! I took it to the car wash Thursday morning before I had even unloaded it off the trailer, and 2 guys tried to buy it from me - $1200 ( He showed me the money ) & $1500. No Thanks! Thanks again, Brian for posting the link.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
James,
I'm glad you acted on it and it wasn't a disappointment. You can always clean it up and resell it if you really had to, of course. I'm not surprised to hear that you had gotten a few offers before even unloading it from your trailer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor