PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I like to think I get lucky finding parts.....

But you are the master!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Other than the shifter will be sitting alittle further back than with a Saginaw which shouldn't be an issue for you, that is one hell of a super score. Just look over the online Hurst catalog & find what you like.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Another great find. I sourced this steering wheel from a Forum Member. It's in REALLY GOOD condition. Correct color, and correct year. I'm very thankful, and out of respect for him, I will not publish the price I paid for it. Thank you, Ed.

IMG_0736.JPG

What will the next great deal be...

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Another great find. I sourced this steering wheel from a Forum Member. It's in REALLY GOOD condition. Correct color, and correct year. I'm very thankful, and out of respect for him, I will not publish the price I paid for it. Thank you, Ed.

View attachment 109245
What will the next great deal be...
that will look great, i was hoping someone would find the right color for you. i assume your no longer interested in the maple two spoke wheel i have. and thats completely understandable. i'm glad i waited.

now you just need a 120mph speedo

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
that will look great, i was hoping someone would find the right color for you. i assume your no longer interested in the maple two spoke wheel i have. and thats completely understandable. i'm glad i waited.

now you just need a 120mph speedo
Sshhhh... that's for next week.;)

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Still gathering parts... and I have a few good ones this week.

Deal #1 - As OldsmobileJoe eluded to, I needed a 120mph speedo. I had already searched out a Rally gauge cluster in really good shape. It arrived this week.
IMG_0865.JPG

The yellow & red is faded from being 41 years old (it's from a 78 Salon, just like mine). That's where the gauge overlays come in... I will get new bright colors on the cluster, along with the 120mph speedo. I have a friend that owns a speedo/cluster repair shop, and will have it re-calibrated. I will also steal Hutch's idea and have UNLEADED FUEL ONLY changed to read ROCKET FUEL ONLY. You Oldsmobile guys understand... right? I'll polish the lens while I have it apart. I got this cluster from a Forum Member, and out of respect for him, I will not disclose what I paid for it. Thanks Joe V.

Deal #2 - Brand new Edelbrock Pro-Flo chrome air cleaner, along with a pair of brand new chrome valve covers. These parts were new in the box. I found them on FB, and offered $40 to re-home them. He accepted!! Cool. Met the guy right up the street from my house. I thought it was a pretty good deal, nope... it got better. He had a tonneau cover on his truck, and when he lifted it to get the parts out, he had other parts in the truck bed... hitch, tail pipes, mufflers, and fan shroud. I laughingly said " Look at you... a rolling parts store". He replied " Yeah the hitch, and exhaust parts are for my truck, but that fan shroud is for a cutlass. I've trying to sell it for 3 weeks, and a guy quit responding to my texts. If you want it, you can have it" THANK YOU, SIR!! Loaded it up.
IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

Its cracked on the driver side corner, but in very usable condition. Both rubber isolators are in good shape. I'll keep her around...

IMG_0867.JPG

Did you get a sneak peek of what else is in the back of my truck??

Deal #3 - I didn't need this... but I couldn't pass it up. Found it on FB, not even a mile from my house. 1975 Pontiac 350 short block. Virgin short block, from a running car. It has a little ring ridge at the top of the cylinders. Hell, it's 44 years old. Casting # 500810. It was already for sale too cheap, at $100. I offered him $80, and he accepted. By the time I got over there to pick it up, he said he had received several phone calls, and he sold it to me too cheap. Then he gave me a new Harbor Freight ($12) dolly to set it on. THANK YOU!!! I will pour a quart of oil on it, and bag it up. I told my wife I was going to pick up some Popeye's chicken. I pulled back up in the driveway (with chicken, of course) My wife was outside... she just shook her head... and walked away.:giggle:

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

I guess there's a Buick Century Wagon in my future??? I may sell it for $250. IDK.. I have a couple things in the works for next week. Until then...

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Deal of the week. I'm getting good at this... Found on FB listed for $200, watched it for 2 weeks - nobody bought it. Messaged him with something like "it's been a couple weeks..." He replied with $150. I offered $125. He accepted. 30 minutes later, it was mine. Now before you guys start the Holley vs. Edelbrock vs. Q-jet argument, I will concede that for all out performance/racing, a Holley is the way to go, and I have owned many of Holleys. For all-around performance/gas mileage, the Qjet is hard to beat. I have also owned a Edelbrock in the past, and it was so easy to adjust.
Anyway this is an Edelbrock #1906 AVS-2 650 CFM that sells for $368 at Jegs. It's almost new. I used the CFM calculator, and for a 410ci @ 6000 RPM @ 87% Volumetric efficiency = 619 CFM, so this should be plenty for my mild Olds 403. For $125, I'll give it a shot.
IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

Thought that deal was done? Nope... he showed up with a small box of tuning parts ( jets, metering rods, and step up springs ) Free! Thank you. :giggle:
IMG_0959.JPG

So, I kinda have an Edelbrock - equipped 403 - ( air cleaner, carb, intake manifold, cam, lifters ). I will also buy their valve springs, and timing chain for this motor. The lightly worked 350ci heads, and Thornton headers should make for a nice cruiser motor. On to the next...

Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Almost all the complaints of bad running on the Olds sites stem from an Edelbrock carb, mainly the base AFB clone. Maybe the AVS2 are better and you had luck in the past. I would add a 1" phonelic spacer, the AFB/AVS since the 60's had fuel boiling issues and the 403 runs hot.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor