Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Imagine the Butless GN/GNX...
Now we need some one to build one.
I don't have to worry about rust/corrosion on these parts.
Aluminum still can have corrosion issues. Contact with dissimular metals leads to it to get a case of it's version of tin worms. The steel brackets on my original aluminum bumper bars ate them up. Of course road salt didn't help either.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Now we need some one to build one.

Maybe one day, remember I also have the Buick Century Aero ( Buford Hunchback ). I have (3) Buick 455's and a bunch of parts, but nothing is set in stone. It does sound like a fun project.

Aluminum still can have corrosion issues. Contact with dissimular metals leads to it to get a case of it's version of tin worms. The steel brackets on my original aluminum bumper bars ate them up. Of course road salt didn't help either.

I agree on the dissimilar metals, but my parts are clean ( will rarely if ever see rain much less snow ) and road salt just isn't an issue in Houston.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Just a couple more parts I've rounded up.

Aluminum rear bumper support. It's in great shape, and will clean up nicely. Purchased from a Forum Member ( thanks Derrick! ). Out of respect for him, I will not disclose the price, but it was a great deal.
IMG_1015.JPG

Retractable under hood light from a 1992 Chevy truck. It has an integral on/off switch, 25 foot cord, and a magnetic base on the light itself. I will make a mounting plate for it, and probably mount it on the Dr. side rear trunk hinge. I should be able to reach any part of the car, if needed. I'll clean it up a little more ( 303 / Back to Black, etc ) and add a LED bulb. $5 at the J-yard
IMG_1014.JPG

The aluminum hood is on it's way as of yesterday. The seller had a sick family member, that ultimately ended up passing away, which delayed the shipping. Family first, I say. We decided on Fastenal as the shipper. Got my fingers crossed on this one... I've never used them to ship anything before. It was definitely affordable, and insured, but I'm a little worried. Parts have to be palletized, so forklifts and aluminum hoods, make me a little nervous. Hoping for the best. We will find out soon...

Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I agree on the dissimilar metals, but my parts are clean ( will rarely if ever see rain much less snow ) and road salt just isn't an issue in Houston.
But if you have moisture (humidity) and steel/stainless steel and aluminum are touching, you'll have a battery. Thus, galvanic corrosion. You can paint and isolate via gaskets/nylon washers, etc., but you WILL get corrosion even if it never sees rain or salted snow roads. Stainless steel will kill aluminum, and aluminum will kill steel. Kind of a paper/rock/scissors deal. Obviously if it's garaged, it will slow it down. Probably be ok until you sell it or die. :) But it will still happen unless you separate the metals as to not touch each other. That's why aluminum trim is anodized. It's just a thicker corrosive layer to protect the galvanic action of corrosion. Sand it off without painting or some sort of protective layer and it will corrode, too.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Small score today. Found on FB Marketplace, about 10 minutes away from the house. I had been watching this item for a couple weeks. Listing started out for $30. Then 2 weeks later it dropped to $20. I offered $15, and said I'd come pick it up. She said "Yes".
98-05 Blazer 2WD front hub assembly. Brand new in the box.
IMG_1017.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The aluminum hood is here. Fastenal called today, and I left work early to go pick it up. It was raining here, so I did not unpack it all the way. I did check for obvious damage, and it looks good. Derrick did an awesome job of packaging this. I'll get a better pic this weekend. Here it is.
IMG_1018.JPG

So I now have-
- Aluminum hood w/ the correct lightweight hood hinges
- Aluminum core support
- Aluminum front bumper support
- Aluminum rear bumper support
- Aluminum drive shaft
- Aluminum intake manifold
- Aluminum accessory brackets
- Aluminum / Plastic FBody radiator

I need to purchase-
- Aluminum rear drums ( Kirban sells the new repops )
- Aluminum bumper brackets ( ditching the heavy bumper shocks )

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's going to be so light, you're going to have to cut the springs to keep it from looking like a 4 x 4. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It's going to be so light, you're going to have to cut the springs to keep it from looking like a 4 x 4. :)
I plan on it... I just edited the previous post, because I forgot ( see, we're both getting old ) about the aluminum / plastic FBody radiator :giggle:

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
So I got another delivery today. I found a couple of items on Craigslist East Texas ( Tyler, TX - 3.5 hrs away ), and had the guy ship them to me. I got -
- Edelbrock Quiet Flo #1791 electric fuel pump ( pre set @ 6.5 lbs for carb applications ) - brand new in the box
- Chrome thermostat housing w/ gasket, L hose, stainless clamps, and ARP stainless 12 point bolts
- (2) Chrome dip sticks - brand new never installed ( don't know what the deal is with the tape OLD & NEW ?? They are both new... Old style - new style ?? IDK or care...

The pump alone sells for $208-215. I got everything for $100 + $20 to ship. Well under half price. Thank you very much!

IMG_1019.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So I got another delivery today. I found a couple of items on Craigslist East Texas ( Tyler, TX - 3.5 hrs away ), and had the guy ship them to me. I got -
- Edelbrock Quiet Flo #1791 electric fuel pump ( pre set @ 6.5 lbs for carb applications ) - brand new in the box
- Chrome thermostat housing w/ gasket, L hose, stainless clamps, and ARP stainless 12 point bolts
- (2) Chrome dip sticks - brand new never installed ( don't know what the deal is with the tape OLD & NEW ?? They are both new... Old style - new style ?? IDK or care...

The pump alone sells for $208-215. I got everything for $100 + $20 to ship. Well under half price. Thank you very much!

View attachment 118583
Let us know what you think of the Edelbrock fuel pump. Good call that, you saw how much hacking I had to do. I will be taking a 1/2 hour one way then a two hour trip to see how it does. Those chrome thermostat housing can be a b*tch to seal. Sand it and do a double gasket and either the Permatex water pump RTV, the Right Stuff or Ultra Black between the layers. Many have had issues. I have had issues sealing any housing on aluminum intakes. The Factory iron and the RobMc billet housing seals the best. There is a factory aluminum housing. One came on my 76 350, have it on my Performer. On a factory aluminum intake I can see it, this was a factory iron intake. The chrome dipstick I find I need to grind the end to fit into the block and then then it fits loose in the block. Supposedly if you oblong it, it will help it fit tighter.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor