BUILD THREAD Project "Learning Curve" 1980 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
80 gp g 5.jpg
Ok, it has begun, picked up a 1980 Grand Prix.
I have been a diehard Pontiac Drag Racer for years but wanted to try something different.
Going to try my hand and building a "handling" car thus the name "Learning Curve". Get it! ;)
First order of business is making it a safe driver.
Next will be making it a better platform for handling.
Last will be the suspension itself.
I have tons of used and new parts that are left over from various project that I will be using.
This is going to be a low budget deal.
Also this will be a "function over form" deal so don't expect pretty!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
80 gp 1.5 rear drop.jpg
80 gp g 5.jpg
I know I said I was going to take care of safety first but I could not stand the "stink bug" ride height of the car.
Off came the mismatched rear l/t tires and on went some old Yokohamas.
Also had some rusty old lowering springs and used GR2 shocks.
Between the tire and springs the rear came down 1.5 inches.
It looks much better almost level now.
Sorry for the cell phone picture.
First picture is today.
Keep in mind on the before picture (2nd picture) the car is sitting on a hill!

Last edited:

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
new gen 1.jpg
new gen 2.jpg
Well, life threw a me a few curves, now I am unemployed and got 30 day notice on the garage I rent. Good times!

I bought me something shiny to feel better,I can be such a big girl, lol.

Anyway, I did what any hot rodder would do, bought rims/tire for the car.

There was an ad on Craigslist and looked to good to be true, it was not..

Got wheel/tire package ,that is like new, for about 1/3 of new cost.

These things are awesome.

Here are a few teaser pics.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That really sucks but I'm glad to see your taking it in stride and I hope your situation improves...:)

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Well one good thing about moving is you find all sorts of stuff you forgot you had!! I will be done the move at the end of the month so look forward to turning wrenches. Again lots of "stuff" for the GP!
I did sell my 85 Bonneville and it had my 8.5/4.11 in it, so swapped rears with the GP before being sold (new owner knows) 4.11z are fun but a little much behind the 400. Looks like 3.42z will be the way to go which I also have.
Also did some research on the Pontiac 400. Turns out it is a "interesting" mix of parts: 71 YT400 which is a good block with 68 #17 350 heads, Edelbrock Performer with a Qjet from a 85 manual Chevy truck. Trying to show restraint and not break into the motor, must fight urge....
Might mount up the fiberglass parts I have first, hood,decklid and bumpers since I got them and can do it for close to zero dollars.

Reactions: 1 user

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
80 gp frnt bump.jpg
80 gp frnt bump 1.jpg
80 gp frnt bump 2.jpg
80 gp rear bump.jpg
80 gp rear bump 1.jpg
80 gp rear bump 2.jpg
Another update, did some more "free" stuff.

Remove the front bumper and started mock up of tucked fiberglass bumper.
Tucked 3 inches and raised about 2 inches.
Removing the front bumper changed ride height by 1 inch, front up 1/2",rear down a 1/2 inch.

While off bumper was off I replaced the crushed rad support bushings with aluminum/poly combo. After that, spent about an hour aligning the r/f door/fender. The door was tucked under the bottom edge of the fender when closed. Now has a nice gap.

Removed the rear bumper and mocked also.
Rear really popped up ,3/4 inch and front moved down 1/4.
Also added my "custom" angle iron rear frame brace.

Net ride height change is up 1/4 inch all around.

Keep in mind , whole car will be satin black.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Finally someone added some beauty to one of these red haired step childs of the a/gbody line!!!! Looks awesome man.now just mod some composite headlights in that header and that will REALLY look sweet!!!

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
L.A.X. sorry no composites ,using what I got, cheap$$$$$$.

Maybe looking for some plastic headlights,blacked out or otherwise.

The p/s bezel is cracked and I happen to have saved the p/s one off my old car. The, for lack of a better term, front fender inner shields are missing/broken.Saved those also!

There is a NOS grill sitting on the shelf so I can butcher the one on this car to fit the raised bumper.It is cracked anyway.

The hood and decklid are VFN. Don't recall on the bumpers but can check the stickers in a day or 2 for you.

Oh, the reverse lights are cracked and one lens fell off. Yep, you guessed it, saved those from my old car too.

I think this car wants to be built!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor