BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Just watched to the IG video- yeah that's pretty loud. Maybe a dumb question but is the balancer bolt tight? Harmonics can be a weird thing, maybe new exhaust is vibrating something that wasn't being vibrated before?

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just watched to the IG video- yeah that's pretty loud. Maybe a dumb question but is the balancer bolt tight? Harmonics can be a weird thing, maybe new exhaust is vibrating something that wasn't being vibrated before?

Balancer bolt is definitely tight. And it’s a good one, I replaced the original with an ARP one.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for those, I appreciate it. If I had to say, mine sounds a little bit like the first or last video. I’ll take another one here in a minute and post it up.
That's one of Mr. Sony's Buick 350's. It's a bit unnerving seeing those busted flexplates walking around like that.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
100% agreed with you there Jared. I’m not ruling anything out at this point, but all I can relay is what I’ve found to be the case so far.

What I found is curious is that this noise is new and didn’t make it before the header installation. I don’t believe in coincidences, usually if a new symptom arises after work done, it’s usually related to what was just done.

We did have to jack up the engine off the frame stands on both sides to fit the headers in, but we did it carefully and methodically. Didn’t take any unnecessary risks or push things beyond where we should’ve. Nothing was disturbed at the flexplate other than removing the inspection cover for more room.
Did you have the jack under the oil pan? Any chance it is now contacting the rotating assembly? Doesn't seem likely but I'm trying to come up with a scenario where jacking up the power team led to the noise.

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Did you have the jack under the oil pan? Any chance it is now contacting the rotating assembly? Doesn't seem likely but I'm trying to come up with a scenario where jacking up the power team led to the noise.

Yes, we lifted it up by the oil pan, but did it with a large 2x6 under the pan to distribute the load. No damage to the pan whatsoever, not a dent or buckle, didn’t even wrinkle the paint.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I watched that video, Kinda hard to tell on my phone. Need to watch it on a non-government computer.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Pull the flex plate cover to start, I have had many strange sounds from there. Almost sounds like belt slippage but farther away.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That's definitely a strange noise. Sounds like something scraping/scuffing. Doesn't sound like a rod knock. What about turning the engine back and forth by that ARP balancer bolt to check timing chain backlash? You can feel the resistance if the chain is unduly stretched. Or grab hold of the balancer and move it up and down and see if you can detect any movement? Safety tip: if you do any of this, don't do it when the engine is running! :) I'm reaching for straws here.

I considered a seal issue for a second, but usually those would get tore up from the floor up if they spun or went dry. But I wouldn't rule it out.

At this point I would agree with olds307 and 403 suggestion of popping the converter inspection cover. I had a TC ear crack off on me and it made a pretty bad noise, but only sometimes, and I chased that sh*t forever until about a year later I found it when I dropped the transmission to rebuild it. Not saying that's where to look, just pointing out chasing ghost sounds needs more than Scooby-f*cking-Doo. ZOINKS!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Might be a wild goose chase but if the flex plate ends up being a non issue, you can always do an easy check of the cam (since it is flat tappet) and pull the valve covers, put a paint marker line vertically on each push rod and see if they are turning when the engine is cranking. If a lobe is going out or a lifter is sticky that push rod won't rotate as freely.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor