BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Do me a favor Donovan, pull your pcv valve out when you're looking for the noise. I've seen some odd noises come from them at times....

To me it sounds like air being sucked thru a small opening and a gasket is fluttering.

Reactions: 3 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Do me a favor Donovan, pull your pcv valve out when you're looking for the noise. I've seen some odd noises come from them at times....

To me it sounds like air being sucked thru a small opening and a gasket is fluttering.
like a reverse fart?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I agree with Streetbu. Sounds like sucking sound. I hope it's something that simple. But it's also very strange.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I agree with Streetbu. Sounds like sucking sound. I hope it's something that simple. But it's also very strange.

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Pull the flex plate cover to start, I have had many strange sounds from there. Almost sounds like belt slippage but farther away.

It sounds similar to a slipping belt, but it’s actually a dead ringer for a bad roller bearing. It still makes the noise with zero belts on it.

Might be a wild goose chase but if the flex plate ends up being a non issue, you can always do an easy check of the cam (since it is flat tappet) and pull the valve covers, put a paint marker line vertically on each push rod and see if they are turning when the engine is cranking. If a lobe is going out or a lifter is sticky that push rod won't rotate as freely.

Thanks for the suggestion, that’s good information for use in the future. But it’s nowhere near that high on the engine. It’s down low, below the camshaft center line, more inline with the crank. I get that sounds can travel and be deceiving, but right at or behind the balancer is where it seems the loudest.

It’s not the PCV Shawn. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Agreed on both accounts Tony, very strange indeed, and REALLY hoping it’s something stupid and simple.

Reactions: 2 users

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Hey D . Was just wondering if you have a roller cam . If so did you install a cam button keeps the cam from walking and the timing gear from contacting the timing cover

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Are there any rubbing marks on the inner side of your pulleys?it sounds like scrapping sound as it spins, like a bearing full of grit

No, no rubbing marks anywhere.

Hey D . Was just wondering if you have a roller cam . If so did you install a cam button keeps the cam from walking and the timing gear from contacting the timing cover

No, it’s a hydraulic flat tappet. No roller cam and no cam button. Do I really need one for this application? I speak more Oldsmobile than Chevy TBH.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor