BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I see what you mean by tedious Donovan. You must use alot of tape and masking paper.

Actually not as much as you might think Jeff.

The paper is ridiculously cheap for the quantity you get, something like $30 CAD for a massive roll of the stuff. At the rate I use it, a roll usually lasts 2-3 years or more, depending on the size. (I tend to use the 24” stuff more often than the 36” stuff).

Tape on the other hand is a little more pricey. In the 3M line, they offer a good/better/best kind of thing with the medium blue being the entry level stuff. I’ve been using the mid level green rolls for everything here at the shop, but I’ll be springing for the best quality rolls when it comes time for final masking for paint in the booth.

Paint creep underneath masking tape sucks.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh man I bet your getting antsy. So when your done painting oldscool are you jumping back into the jug?

Abso-frigging-lutely on both accounts!
Antsy for sure to finally see this massive undertaking come to an end and see color on it the way that I’ve envisioned it, and chomping at the bit to return to The Juggernaut.

I’m a hot rod guy at heart, and doing a stock style restification like this I find really cramps my creativity. There’s so many areas that are just begging for improvement and modifications, yet because I’m trying to keep this one mostly stock appearing I don’t wanna start cutting and modifying. That’s a sharp right turn down the rabbit hole and it’s easy to get away from the end goal.

On The ’Naut however, the sky’s the limit. Creativity and my anal retentions can run wild, and I can get as carried away with it or not as I see fit. It’s been several years since I’ve done anything with it, and I’ve got a whole whack of new ideas and things I’m looking forward to. Shouldn’t be too long, and you’ll be able to smell the metal burning and see the grinders throwing sparks on it once again!

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
50 Shades of...

...oh nevermind. You know what it is.
:cool:

F89AC093-2000-4E94-ADDE-19B2339ADDAB.jpeg

434B2BBD-FCA0-42E9-A433-6F8B0C0658D9.jpeg

04A14BAF-CE9B-4EF4-9D26-36FDFFCE6C34.jpeg

10C0C714-9436-4F57-A0D7-752907A5D0FA.jpeg

F4E9D02A-9198-4D4B-BAB4-010702F53B0D.jpeg

DEB33CCC-5E03-4919-A236-58776EBB281E.jpeg

39613C60-220D-4957-BF79-BA25E5E93708.jpeg

33F60C97-3A36-4B82-BEE5-39A3C8196009.jpeg

DA661206-BF41-4629-A979-511F184B3AE5.jpeg

It’s a little orange-peely due to me under reducing it a bit too much (worked great with my larger gun, not so much with the little touch up gun), but it’ll suffice for what I need for now. It’ll all get block sanded one last time before the actual paint job anyways. This is more about getting coverage on the insides and edges, and having a well defined two-tone break line for masking in the booth.

Tomorrow will be unmasking and starting to final assemble the rest of the sheetmetal. It might actually start looking like a car again after that!

D.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Fine, I'll bite - where does one source Bonmask paper from? I checked the website on the paper and came up empty.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Fine, I'll bite - where does one source Bonmask paper from? I checked the website on the paper and came up empty.

Got any body shop suppliers somewhat local to you? They should have it or something comparable. Not everything is economical to get online. A roll of the stuff is heavy, trust me you wouldn’t wanna pay shipping on it anyways.

Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Got any body shop suppliers somewhat local to you? They should have it or something comparable. Not everything is economical to get online. A roll of the stuff is heavy, trust me you wouldn’t wanna pay shipping on it anyways.

I've looked in the area - but it doesn't seem like there are may places here in Outofthewaywa that deal over the counter. Case in point: https://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/Auto+Body+Shop+Equipment+&+Supplies/Ottawa+ON

Most of those are shops, no?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've looked in the area - but it doesn't seem like there are may places here in Outofthewaywa that deal over the counter. Case in point: https://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/Auto+Body+Shop+Equipment+&+Supplies/Ottawa+ON

Most of those are shops, no?

Yep, it appears that way. I saw a NAPA on there, you could try giving them a shout. I know they’ve got their own separate autobody supply division. They might be able to bring some in for you. Long shot, but just trying to help ya out.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor