BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Donovan, I'm feeling kind of like Michelangelo's plumber advising him about a detail of his painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, but I think the "duck face" look would be cool where the accent color would encircle the side windows and cover the hood, only, leaving the rest of the car white. I'm gonna go see if I can keep the crayons inside the lines of my Hello Kitty coloring book now.

Best - Gary

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That clarifies my next question, if you planned to paint the grey between the rear facing part of the trunk lid between the tail lights like they did from the factory. A friend of mine, years ago, refinished his wife's 79' Calais in two tone white and grey but skipped the grey on the trunk lid and did just the roof and hood as you pictured. It looked sharp, I have no doubt yours will too.

Donovan, I'm feeling kind of like Michelangelo's plumber advising him about a detail of his painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, but I think the "duck face" look would be cool where the accent color would encircle the side windows and cover the hood, only, leaving the rest of the car white. I'm gonna go see if I can keep the crayons inside the lines of my Hello Kitty coloring book now.

Best - Gary

Gentlemen,

While I value your input and ideas - and I do-
I’m pretty firmly set on painting it as pictured in Scott’s photoshopped pic.

From the factory, the 442’s of these years had a single “block” of the second color between the taillights on the vertical section only...

8A3F4E4A-8276-40B4-8F5C-BF053C9B3C7B.jpeg

...and I’m sure I’m not the only one who thought it looked like an afterthought and didn’t flow well with the rest of the two tone.

However, the elimination of this part of the two tone altogether has been done many times before in the past. I’ve never been one to follow the pack and prefer to always go my own way, so with Scott’s help we designed a way to incorporate and continue the second color on the trunk lid that didn’t look too out of place.

I quite like what we came up with, and am going to continue to pursue this updated version. I’m not a fan of “clones” or passing something off as anything but what it is, this two tone paint scheme is designed to only pay tribute to the general style of the 442’s scheme without copying it exactly. When I’m done the car will proudly wear its original “Cutlass Calais” badging, and not ones that say “442”. I wouldn’t dishonour the 442 moniker in that way.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Road trip tomorrow!!

Heading 3 hours north to look at and hopefully pick up a decent set of doors for the project. If I end up getting them I’ll probably sit on them until this winter when I can get them tuned up and swapped over.

Here’s hoping, fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

782849D9-455F-41EA-A55F-EF9FDF363C79.jpeg

F710E23A-427D-46C5-BC4C-CB0D27A32B86.jpeg

339A3A50-E432-4E7C-97C4-F69D3956D080.jpeg

A6639122-03DC-4F6F-9488-176E559CEBCD.jpeg

• Winner

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Donovan I like the color scheme. And, I am totally in agreement with not pretending the car is something it's not. That is why I have been removing any "T-TYPE" or "Grand National" emblems and badging from the parts I use in the wagon. Just the power six logo.

Good luck on the doors!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
D,
Good luck with the door endeavor. I hope they're worth the long drive. They do look pretty promising in the pics. Hopefully there's no hidden surprises.
It looks a little crusty under the weatherstrip. I hope it's just superficial stuff.
Have a good safe trip.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Have a safe trip buddy!

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey D,
What happened with the doors, were you able to score them, or was it a disappointment?
I see you're back, but no mention about them.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey D,
What happened with the doors, were you able to score them, or was it a disappointment?
I see you back, but no mention about them.

Hey Jack, thanks for the interest.
I got back fairly late last night and slept late this morning so I haven’t done much yet other than poke around on here today.

Good news tho, I did manage to acquire the doors. They were about what I expected condition-wise, and came in at what I had decided I was willing to pay for them, so at least the trip was worthwhile.

I have a small story about yesterday’s adventures that I’ll be putting together for an update later today or tonight, so be sure to check that out for the full low down.
:)

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor