BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Reactions: 1 users

Martin S.

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Have been absent for a while and now I´m amazed concerning the progress you´ve made, Donovan.
Unbelievable !!!!!!!! Such good work, such good ideas (y):)
It´s really a pleasure to read this thread. Please continue with the same excellent work :giggle::)(y)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Jeez Mike, whatever happened to:

Bipolar much? Y’know they have meds for that now....
😉🤣

I am in Vancouver this week and I think it is having a negative effect on my disposition (excessive exposure to liberal hippy potheads). Back home to Ottawa tomorrow... I'll be "better" soon.

If you want a formal apology come over the Rockies and take it. ;)

You are doing awesome, thanks for sharing.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Donovan are you going to put a clear coat or sealer over the brushed trim? Maybe I missed that.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan it is all what we feel when we see a finished car that is perfect and then we go out to our own garage.....:(. But it is like the story of the Little Red Hen. We all want the fresh baked bread in the end but have to do your level of work to get there. Just wait till you are done, buffing that beautiful, perfect paint and heading off to a show. The rest of us leave a layer of dirt to cover up the ugly and block people from getting close:).

I understand what you mean completely Christian, I really and truly do. I guess you could say I’m like the proverbial shoe maker, where his kids go shoeless. All these years of doing paint and body work on other people’s cars, I’ve never once had a vehicle with paint that I could be proud of, not even on any of my daily drivers.

I understand the bit of envy or jealousy that might be felt as I post my progress, but I can assure you, no one knows what it’s like to own vehicles with less than impressive paint on them than me. I guess that’s why I’m all the more excited about the headway that I’m making here, I might actually get to own something finally that’s not an embarrassment to look at from less than 50 feet.

I wasn’t upset in the least with Mike’s comment, on the contrary I found it amusing and flattering because I knew that’s what he meant by it. Thanks for sharing that point of view though, it hits closer to home than you probably realized.

D.

Have been absent for a while and now I´m amazed concerning the progress you´ve made, Donovan.
Unbelievable !!!!!!!! Such good work, such good ideas (y):)
It´s really a pleasure to read this thread. Please continue with the same excellent work :giggle::)(y)

Thanks very much Martin! I’m humbled by your high praise. I’m just one guy working on his car in his garage, trying to do the best I can with what I’ve got.
I will certainly continue to share my trials and tribulations with you all, judging by the positive feedback I’m getting from everybody, it seems I’m doing an alright job. 😉

Appreciate the kind words from across the pond sir!

Once again, four pages behind and still in awe of your skills. I dig the brushed door handles!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Sorry to hear you fell so far behind, it must’ve been quite the read to get caught up again. But I’m certainly appreciative that you did.

Thanks as well for the feedback on the door handles, it seems some guys love ‘em just the way they are now, and others like myself think they’re close but just need that little “something” extra to complete the look. My wait for word on the handles might be extensive, but if it turns out it’s possible it should be worth the wait.
🤞🏻

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am in Vancouver this week and I think it is having a negative effect on my disposition (excessive exposure to liberal hippy potheads). Back home to Ottawa tomorrow... I'll be "better" soon.

If you want a formal apology come over the Rockies and take it. ;)

You are doing awesome, thanks for sharing.

Mike, no offence was taken whatsoever, not in the slightest. I knew you were just yanking my chain, and I saw the humour in it. That’s why I decided to have a little fun with ya right back. No formal apology needed.

Sorry to hear you’re having to deal with the liberal hippie potheads, that would surely be enough to make anyone grumpy. Well, grumpier than you usually are anyways.
😉😅

Thanks as always for commenting and for the encouragement, you’re welcome here on any of my threads anytime.

D.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan are you going to put a clear coat or sealer over the brushed trim? Maybe I missed that.

No, you didn’t miss that at all, I haven’t really made much mention of my intentions with the trim after they get the brushed treatment.

Answering your question is kinda two-fold; the parts that are bare pot metal HAVE to be clear coated, if left exposed to the atmosphere they tend to turn a flat dull grey and won’t match the aluminum trim for very long. A perfect example is the quarter glass trim I’ve already done, I matte cleared them after I gave them the brushed look, the door handles will need the same treatment because they’re pot metal as well.

The rest of the trim that isn’t chrome plated plastic however, is mostly clear anodized polished aluminum from the factory. I’ve seriously considered taking all the trim pieces in to have the clear anodizing reapplied after I put the brushed finish on them, but I’m fairly certain that would be a fairly large expense.
I’ve already run the car through a full season of cruising and car washes etc with some of the aluminum trim left “as is” and haven’t yet seen any ill effects from it.

I think I’m gonna continue to play it be ear and see how it goes after the car is more or less finished. If it looks like the trim is starting to oxidize and isn’t weathering well, I’ll reconsider my options at that point. It’ll entail either having all the pieces clear anodized, or possibly matte clear coating them all myself.

Great question, and thanks for checking out the build!

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor