BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
as if I didn't feel bad enough not having touched the chief in a couple months...... J/K!:D

I'm just going to go along with what everyone else is saying, as it's all true! :notworthy: it's looking as awesome as we've come to expect! I'm glad you went back and trimmed up the excess grey on the b post, from the pics, it looked as if it had an unnatural gap at the top.... love the look of the handles, but is it the angle of the pic, or are the handles bigger than the recess?

Thanks Darin.
You’re 100% right about the grey being too low inside the rear edge of the jamb, at certain angles you could see a bit inside that edge and the grey break being too low made it look like the door had an irregular gap there when it really didn’t. Hence me taking the additional time to correct it.

As I mentioned before, the jury is still kinda out on the handles in their current form, but I’m working on a possible modification to them.

I’m not sure which picture you’re referring to (I kinda posted a whack of them), but I can almost certainly assure you it’s the angle. The handles are standard size replacements, and the pocket underneath was not touched or modified.

Appreciate the comments and compliments man!

As usual, unique and stunningly amazing metal work. Great job! - so far...keep it going when you get the chance!

Thank you, I will certainly continue to try!

Very nice! I have been wondering for a while now how that stripe was going to look as it went down the car and man was i not disappointed. Very nice work

Glad to hear it, and thanks very much. I appreciate you and everyone that follows along.

Thanks for the update, Donovan, great progress on the Olds. Very cool!

Thank you Mike, it’s always my pleasure to share my progress with you guys!

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Eric, that would be great if it’s not too much trouble. I have a couple pictures from the interwebs and from the ‘80 442 I found in the wreckers up here as two-tone and paint break references, but I have nothing that shows inside the doors and door jambs. If you could shoot me some of those from your daughters car, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
No problem I'll send them to you. You can put them in the thread if you want. It's actually amazing how sloppy GM did the break lines on those cars her roof line looks like it was done after a hard night of drinking lol

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Inside the door jambs on 84-87 VIN 9 cars had definitive tape off lines as to where they marked off the areas to be painted silver or black as the case may be. The wraparound on the doors basically ended there as well.

Even the 69 H/O had tape lines INTO the jamb, at least part way. Sometimes fogging happened inside the door jamb, but generally the paint stripe was taped off to some degree. Some better than others. Obviously, it wasn't GM doing the painting, so there's that.

OriginalHurst034.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
No problem I'll send them to you. You can put them in the thread if you want. It's actually amazing how sloppy GM did the break lines on those cars her roof line looks like it was done after a hard night of drinking lol
It never stopped with the 1980 versions. If anyone's taken the original stripes off an 85-87 442 or 83/84 H/O, you'd see where the paint lines meet... they used all of that stripe width buffer zone underneath. Paint lines were usually wavy AF.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It never stopped with the 1980 versions. If anyone's taken the original stripes off an 85-87 442 or 83/84 H/O, you'd see where the paint lines meet... they used all of that stripe width buffer zone underneath. Paint lines were usually wavy AF.
Trust me I know I've done several over the years stood back and said wtf were they thinking
IMG_20190129_190616572.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Every time I get lulled into thinking that this is gonna be a little more bland than I had thought, bam there is some of the awesome custom touches.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Donovan it is all what we feel when we see a finished car that is perfect and then we go out to our own garage.....:(. But it is like the story of the Little Red Hen. We all want the fresh baked bread in the end but have to do your level of work to get there. Just wait till you are done, buffing that beautiful, perfect paint and heading off to a show. The rest of us leave a layer of dirt to cover up the ugly and block people from getting close:).

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor