BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
great work, as always!:cool:

Thanks Darin!

Interesting on the bonding, bare metal makes sense. That paint looks amazing by the way.

Appreciate it Christian. But like I said, the paint on the underside really isn’t that impressive. It’s just there to provide protection against any rust forming again. When I separated the braces from the main pan, there was a ton of rust that had accumulated because GM had neglected to have any sort of rust preventative applied inside and underneath.
It was just bare metal and looked like this:

3C7B43D5-6D5E-4767-9FBC-E72339B0BAEE.jpeg

71B69DBA-D561-457E-80D9-3C44E31AD972.jpeg

2084445F-6C86-4D9B-BCFF-6C84431328D7.jpeg

Not this time around however, not on my watch.
😁

Makes me glad I have T-tops on one car (suspect there should be very little to no rust under all that) and solid roofs on the others.

I agree, and I don’t. My other G Cutlass is a hardtop car, and yes, absolutely I have and have had zero issues with rust of any sort on the roof.

I have however, seen enough horror pictures of members T top cars on here with complete sections rusted away underneath the trim and weatherstripping. Just ask Darin (1EvilRegal) above about the rust problems he’s had with his T tops. It’s enough so to make me never want to purchase a T top car.

Not to mention the floor pan damage caused by leaking T tops...

I am stealthily stalking this build thread to learn how to do body work.

It's better than any of those sunday morning car shows for sure :)

Really great attention to detail!

Thanks very much. And no need to be covert about it, stalk away in full view of everyone!
😉

Forums are all about sharing information, and the detailed way I present my updates are just my way of sharing what I know and how I go about it. If it’s even remotely useful to anyone, then all the better!

Thanks for following along and commenting. It’s greatly appreciated.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Looks great as always D it's pretty cool for me to be able to check out the work of a fellow body man. I was just wondering if you had clayed the roof panel do you think it would have stopped some of that warp? Or do you think it would have walked away do to so much working of the metal?
Oh I almost forgot we got a new toy at work right up your alley a portable Norton dustless system with 2 huchens da's and 2 blocks seams to be awesome but I've only done like 3 jobs with it so far

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
Looks awesome! You do great body work. I spent about 8 years in auto body and I can really appreciate your attention to detail.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I agree, and I don’t. My other G Cutlass is a hardtop car, and yes, absolutely I have and have had zero issues with rust of any sort on the roof.

I have however, seen enough horror pictures of members T top cars on here with complete sections rusted away underneath the trim and weatherstripping. Just ask Darin (1EvilRegal) above about the rust problems he’s had with his T tops. It’s enough so to make me never want to purchase a T top car.

Not to mention the floor pan damage caused by leaking T tops...
Oh, I feel you on the T-top cars. I've seen some terrible messes. But mine has been out of the elements for 99.5% of its life as far as sitting out in the weather. Not saying it will definitely be pristine underneath, because I have washed it and it has rained on it occasionally, but being the only owner of the car since new, I know where it's been. It didn't leak before I put it in its current state of cryostasis, so I don't expect it will leak now. I know that sounds like BS, but it's true. The T-tops didn't leak. There's no outward, visible evidence there's any issues. I'm not crazy, though, because in reality, I won't really know until I start pulling off the plates. But it looks pretty clean as to what's visible. Usually you will see some sort of tell tale signs that things aren't going to be good. Not always, but my fingers are crossed.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

to be fair, most of the rust was under the vynil, but there was quite a bit of rot lurking under the panels and seals, a few small holes as well.... alot of others have had it worse than me though....

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Dear Donovan,

Its been two weeks since the last progress report. I'm ok, but would like to hear what's going on. I'm ok, really...
jonesing.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, I’m not! Want me to whine insessantly here too to explain Donovan’s shameful lack of progress? Yes folks my (now) 4 chronic health conditions have gotten SO bad, I am beginning to affect other people’s projects due to a condition called “empathetic worthlessness”!

I kid, I kid. Hope you’re OK D! Nasty flu going around . . .

And, though another polar vortex slowed me up a bit, I’m actually doing some stuff. Pics and paragraphs pending . . .

. . . and you could cut the air of anticipation with a knife!

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dear Donovan,

Its been two weeks since the last progress report. I'm ok, but would like to hear what's going on. I'm ok, really... View attachment 107848

Jared,

You’re absolutely right, it’s been nearly two weeks now since my last update. I have no excuse other than I simply haven’t gotten this thing to the point where I felt an update was warranted yet.

To be honest, this AstroRoof pan insert is kicking my *ss! There’s been so many little details and time consuming steps to do that it’s nearly killed all forward momentum. I’m just glad I didn’t quote this repair for a potential customer, I would’ve lost my *ss on it!

Because y’all appear to be curious about the progress, I’ll see if I can’t piece together an update for you here about what’s been done recently. Even if it isn’t finished yet.

Give me a bit, and standby...

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Alrighty, let’s see... where were we?

Right. At the end of the last update, I had the AstroRoof inner braces Panel Bonded to the insides of the pan, and everything clamped together. The next step after everything had cured was to start plug welding the outer edges up back to the pan itself.

This was a little bit of a frustrating process, as the paint and primer on the undersides of the braces contaminated the weld puddles (as I knew it would) causing a lot of sputtering and popping. But that was the price I was willing to pay for piece of mind that the added protection would provide. I just went slow and took my time, grinding and filling in any little voids as I went:

9F4140B0-B2B8-4A9F-8B82-2B692D18EB96.jpeg

The 3M anti-spatter paper was intended to try and protect the painted surface, but I quickly realized that was a poor choice. It got switched out for the dedicated welding blanket not long after that pic was taken. Likewise, the tape over the holes was to keep the slag and grindings out of the insides of the braces.

The front brace had all new plug weld holes that I had punched in it, but the rear brace only had the factory ones that I had drilled out to separate it. When I took this pic, all the holes had been welded up and ground smooth, and I thought I was done.

Three become one once again...

0C4F6E2E-0B19-41B8-AA84-8863C0BBC3C4.jpeg

39201ABA-3217-4028-9D82-298C1BC618B6.jpeg

This is just a quick shot of the rear brace, I was pretty happy with how smooth I had got it:

F4F527DB-1170-4CC0-A9CA-A9307982405B.jpeg

Because I’m a little odd and an anal retentive f**k, I wanted the front brace to look really clean and smooth even though no one else will ever see it. So I skimmed all the grinder marks and gave it a quick skim of filler and blocked it out:

E3C76046-DD99-4671-B5BC-868E7D7799AF.jpeg

Once it’s primed and painted, it should look good as new, and properly restored.
Here’s a look at the spots along the front edge where the plug welding took place. You can clearly see the blistered paint, I knew this was going to happen.

911CD7D2-3EBE-4C3C-8AB7-05CC5784CD01.jpeg

No big deal, I just feathered those spots all out back to bare metal and prepped the rest of the areas:

AD6124ED-94A6-4F6C-9F01-4A680D5D136D.jpeg

It was at this point that I had made an important discovery. Remember when I said I had just welded up the factory spot weld locations on the rear brace? This was insufficient. I should’ve gone with my gut instinct and added a few more plug weld holes along the perimeter of the rear brace. What I found was that there were some gaps between the pieces and that caused the rear brace to have some minor weird warping to it.
While I have no pics of this process, I had to go back and add an additional 9 or 10 plug weld holes evenly spaced between the factory ones and clamp and buzz them up. This immensely helped the gap and warping issues. A little hammer and dolly work afterwards got everything looking good again.

Once that was done, I wanted to incorporate an additional step that the factory never did, and that probably would’ve prolonged the life of this pan if they had’ve.

I mixed up some epoxy and brushed it in along the front and rear seams where the braces meet the pan...

D1E09359-B33A-45FD-A434-240E6B323DFE.jpeg

BF77BD89-7D79-4F42-B406-7A1C35777C86.jpeg

...then once it cured, I sanded it and applied some heavy bodied seam sealer. To me, this should’ve been something that the factory had done. Generally speaking if you have a seam, you have to seal it up. Not so for The General apparently...

I picked up this little gizmo at Home Despot several years ago, it’s intended to ease in caulking bathtubs and counter tops etc. But it works pretty damn well for smoothing out seam sealer too!

4FAEC526-9CF1-436A-8AB9-86847C476584.jpeg

All sealed up now, just a little rough around the edges. No worries, as this particular seam sealer is actually sandable.

032C3271-9671-4376-AEDD-C09B0EA7E8B4.jpeg

F6D8B7E3-B6AB-47FD-A08D-AEE4C4B67F6B.jpeg

After I had sanded and smoothed out all the seam sealer on both ends, I had a choice: I could either prime and paint the braces on the underside, or I could evaluate the condition of the outside sheet metal for straightness. Seeing as it was Sunday and Mike was over to help, I decided against poisoning his air supply with paint.

Evaluating the outer surface, I felt a couple little areas that I didn’t like, so the decision was made to profile and skim it.

First pass of filler going on:

0E328C7E-FB0B-4806-BB81-5F09B8FE1038.jpeg

Once I was satisfied it was reasonably straight and smooth, I enlisted Mike’s help in doing the first real test fit since all the work on it began. He had to hold it up in place from the underside while I quickly snapped a couple pictures.

Looks like the fit and finish is going to be good, the slightly high appearance in the front middle is not accurate because it changes slightly as the angle front to back changes. It was just in how he was holding it up.

0F55DB5F-5403-4C0C-AA44-58DBFA2248AF.jpeg

AB5F9040-93E0-48DA-8987-CC8148AFFF44.jpeg

E56DAD34-8C49-40D6-8FC5-39830EE414DC.jpeg

F55BCF00-0469-4212-8F52-863D91C429BF.jpeg

While I was body working the pan, Mike completely tore down the rest of the AstroRoof cartridge assembly, removing all the tracks, guides, motor and miscellaneous stuff. The corners of the cartridge had some rusted areas and some heavy pitting, so naturally we wanted to get that addressed.

No pics yet of his work, but he did an excellent job and got easily 95% of it removed and the rest of it converted with the same stuff I’ve used elsewhere on the car. I’ll cover this a little more in depth on another update.

Wednesday, I finally received my order from G body Parts. I had ordered a brand new AstroRoof outer pan seal, some power window guides to replace my broken ones, and some new door handle gaskets. And just for sh*ts and giggles, I also had them throw in a billet aluminum console shifter handle to replace my permanently sticky and mis-color matched one:

1C424AB7-6DAF-4328-A93B-D9B0C505D58A.jpeg

First thing I did was to inspect and test fit the seal. Being an aftermarket piece, I had some concerns and reservations about what the fit and finish was going to be like. I’m VERY pleased to report that the quality is exceptional, and the fit is excellent as well. I had to slightly stretch the seal over the edges, but once I did it pushed right down into the channel and fit beautifully.

46D0E0CD-572A-419C-8860-2AAF3D9239B3.jpeg

9EA178D8-3947-4D33-8725-02516C0828D0.jpeg

This is of course, with no weatherstrip adhesive yet. It’ll seal and fit even better once I actually glue it in place.

Still playing with the new parts, I test fit the shifter handle. Looks ok...

C3439F9B-C240-468C-AC7C-324C19564057.jpeg

... but with a little time and paint to get it color matched to my interior accents, I think I got it to look a whole lot better!

A0B28ADA-1311-4088-BDB7-610F648A3EE2.jpeg

7A1477CC-A98D-4776-87DE-B68DFAD11141.jpeg

CDDF81DD-95F9-43B4-9B02-5C19A57EA23D.jpeg

What do you guys think?

That’s all for now gents, as you can see this little AstroRoof pan project has turned out to be a whole lot more work than it initially looked like. I’m going to continue to work towards the end goal, and that’s to get it finished and primed like the rest of the body so that the whole thing can be permanently reinstalled and painted along with the rest of the car.

Till next time, keep the shiny side up!
Thanks for checking in on the progress.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 17 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Awesome update Donovan, Thanks! As always the work looks amazing.

If you have something else permanently sticky, try 3M adhesive remover 08984. We used it on the dash and steering wheel in Sean's Camaro. While we replaced the dash pad later because it was curled in the middle, near the windshield, the steering wheel is in the car today. Z28's got a rope style wheel and the prospects of finding a better light blue one were not good. The permanently sticky feeling of his was unacceptable though. The 3M did a great job and didn't damage the finish. The wheel is slightly discolored from age but we thought it better to live with that rather than paint it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor