BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh!
Almost forgot, I’ve got some pics for y’all.

At the all Oldsmobile show I attended back in July, there was a professional photographer walking around and taking pics. Here’s 4 of Olds Cool she snapped that I found on her FB page:

08EF88BA-A336-4B99-BBDA-35426A300438.jpeg

33301522-6B22-4882-8545-3452767E579D.jpeg

F2B3D6FC-C70C-4064-9FF3-AF8A5291241D.jpeg

305015F4-60BF-43F9-8847-BB27F81F45A9.jpeg

Also, I managed to hit an auto wreckers last week before the weather went for total sh*t. Found a half dozen G bodies in the yard, and managed to come home with a few new “trophies”.

A rear bumper filler panel, goes directly underneath the gas filler cap, the paint is totally roached on it, but the plastic itself is flat and straight. The ones I have are all warped:

836D8193-D6CB-4E92-9810-D91B30CAC4F6.jpeg

A mint set of hardtop drip rail mouldings, proper for a ‘78-80 Cutlass. The ones I have now are cut down Malibu ones, and don’t fit 100% correctly:

0331DF9C-F528-4EEA-8EB6-CC7623028C7C.jpeg

These caught my eye, fender vents from a WS6 Trans Am. They might find their way into The Juggernaut...

69F22ABC-922F-4B1F-9DE8-C08202E7C7DC.jpeg

A pair of rear package tray end caps. I got all excited when I grabbed these as mine are sun baked and disintegrating, but as it turns out they’re Maple in color, not Claret.
Anyone have a nice set in the RIGHT color they wanna part with???

0DB897CF-B2C9-4D64-BC02-F3A6CA741156.jpeg

And finally, a near mint rear bumper impact strip. Even managed to get it off without twisting off a single plastic stud!
It’s off a ‘79 Cutlass with no rear bumperettes, so bye bye to the James Bond smokescreen holes I have in mine. Sorry TURNA.
😁

7BABAB87-ED6E-45BD-B4B4-344B15EDC402.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 11 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, good news is I was so freakin PO’d at the whole process, though I had anchored the bottom of my replacement antenna to the short piece of bracket I cut off and left attached to the lag bolt I could not get to from the engine side, I never even buttoned the fender and trim back up so now that I’ve scattered the front end, I can actually do the antenna swap properly. Plus wanting to do the lip and splitter up front so needed to leave all of that loose (then) until now too.

Unsolved Problem = Indirect Plan? :unsure:

Do it twice, Garth (y)

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nice junkyard score! Which one do you go to? I was at both pick-n-pull and saw only one g-body. Totally disappointed

You went to the ones down here? Yeah, I’m not surprised, everyone around knows about those two so they’re usually pretty picked over, and that’s if you can even find a G body in one of them.
The one I went to was one that I thought had gone out of business several years ago, turns out they had just moved.
Buck’s Auto, nice big yard and a half decent selection. All Cutlasses tho, no Regals, nothing terribly special.

Something in particular you’re looking for? I can keep my eyes peeled for ya.

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Good to see you back, Donovan. I agree, loosing the fender antenna is a very good choice. I always liked the way they stuck the antenna inside the windshield on my Supreme and not having it protrude out of a body panel.

Cool wrecking yard scores, hope to do a little scrounging around over the winter myself, just way too busy with work and house projects now.

And, you are right, it's way too early to be talking snow, Yikes.....

Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
You went to the ones down here? Yeah, I’m not surprised, everyone around knows about those two so they’re usually pretty picked over, and that’s if you can even find a G body in one of them.
The one I went to was one that I thought had gone out of business several years ago, turns out they had just moved.
Buck’s Auto, nice big yard and a half decent selection. All Cutlasses tho, no Regals, nothing terribly special.

Something in particular you’re looking for? I can keep my eyes peeled for ya.

Well... someone thought he’d never need the door seal channels when he took off his door seals. 😕

Not much other than that.

I was mostly after some LS related stuff. Ace brackets and hardware. Just need a truck AC bracket with a AC pump for mock-up now.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan, those trans am fender vents are a good score. Itll be interesting to see if you incorporate them into Juggernaut

Thanks man. I don’t know for sure just yet if they will find their way onto The ‘Naut or not, but it was an interesting thought when I saw them in the wrecking yard. I tried holding them up to the fenders on Olds Cool in various different configurations, but the shapes of the vents don’t lend themselves easily to the shapes of the fenders that well. At least not initially.

If I do end up using them on the car, they’ll likely undergo some trimming tweaking and reshaping. They’ll need to look like they belong on the car.

Good to see you back, Donovan. I agree, loosing the fender antenna is a very good choice. I always liked the way they stuck the antenna inside the windshield on my Supreme and not having it protrude out of a body panel.

Cool wrecking yard scores, hope to do a little scrounging around over the winter myself, just way too busy with work and house projects now.

And, you are right, it's way too early to be talking snow, Yikes.....

Thanks, it was just a pure fluke that I happened to come across some of the pieces I needed. I’m pretty used to getting skunked at the auto wreckers these days.

I was never a fan of the fender mounted power antennas either, I thought the ones that were incorporated into the windshield were so much cleaner and unobtrusive. Some guys aren’t fans of the windshield ones either as they claim the radio reception isn’t as good, but that’s never been my experience.

The Juggernaut has the antenna in the windshield as well, and as soon as I found that the fender mounted one on this car was broken and not original, I knew I’d be changing it over to the windshield style.

WooHoo! Updates! I need you to spurn me on to work on mine.

Good to see you back at it.

Thanks brother!
Glad you’re enthused that I’ll be doing updates again. It’s been too long it seems. Hopefully my progress will be some of the motivation you need to keep rocking on that sexy Malibu of yours.

You just need to stop playing with other people’s silly motor scooters first!
😜😉

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well... someone thought he’d never need the door seal channels when he took off his door seals. 😕

Not much other than that.

I was mostly after some LS related stuff. Ace brackets and hardware. Just need a truck AC bracket with a AC pump for mock-up now.

I’ll keep an eye out for the LS specific stuff you’re after, but I’m not sure when the next time I’ll be hitting the junkyards again.
As for the door seal channels, are you referring to the ones that the upper window weatherstrips (roof rail seals) go in? If so, I might be able to help you out without a trip to a junkyard. I’m pretty sure I still have the ones from my old Brown Bomber parts car tucked away somewhere, I don’t think they changed all that much from my ‘78-80 cars to your ‘81 & up Regals.
Let me know.

The channels themselves are actually two pieces per side, the one mounts to the underside of the roof by the drip rails, and there’s a second, separate piece that mounts to the front edge of the “B” pillars.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor