BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
Absolutely stunning work Donovan! Looking forward to the update on the Astroroof.

And where did the W-30 badge come from? I don't remember seeing it on Olds Cool before?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
as if I didn't feel bad enough not having touched the chief in a couple months...... J/K!:D

I'm just going to go along with what everyone else is saying, as it's all true! :notworthy: it's looking as awesome as we've come to expect! I'm glad you went back and trimmed up the excess grey on the b post, from the pics, it looked as if it had an unnatural gap at the top.... love the look of the handles, but is it the angle of the pic, or are the handles bigger than the recess?

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
As usual, unique and stunningly amazing metal work. Great job! - so far...keep it going when you get the chance!

Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Very nice! I have been wondering for a while now how that stripe was going to look as it went down the car and man was i not disappointed. Very nice work

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dude. The car looks fabulous. 😍

Thanks brother, appreciate it. It’s been a lot of time and effort, but also very rewarding when things start to come together at the end. I’m really looking forward to the finished product.

Very nice Donovan! Attention to detail is outstanding! Thanks for the update.

Thank you Kevin, as most of you guys know I tend to be very detail oriented. I just can’t justify going through all the major work just to skimp on the details and have the little things drag down the overall effect. To me it’s a no-brainer to take the little bit of additional time and make everything I can 100% while I’m there.

:respect:
So when & where do I ship my Monte body to so it can look as good? Giving some cool ideas I'd like to try after I get back to work.

Thank you sir!
Unfortunately juggling a full time job, a household, a girlfriend and my dog along with my cars has my time pretty well spoken for. If I ever thought there’d be enough demand and profit to be made I might one day consider doing resto’s like this full-time, but I just don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Glad to provide y’all with some different and unique ideas. Thanks for the compliment!

Very awesome! The door handle still looks a little funky to me. I can't wait to see what you have planned for them. I enjoyed the update. Keep up the good work!

Zach, I couldn’t agree with you more on the door handles. They look a lil funky to me as well in their current form. I don’t wanna say too much about what I’m trying to have done with them just yet in case it doesn’t pan out, but I’m gonna try anyways. In the event that it indeed doesn’t pan out, I’ll come up with something else to spice them up.

Glad you enjoyed the huge update, and thanks very much for the compliments and encouragement.

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Would you like a picture of the two tone brake on Lauren's Hurst/Olds? The passenger side of her car is original paint.

Eric, that would be great if it’s not too much trouble. I have a couple pictures from the interwebs and from the ‘80 442 I found in the wreckers up here as two-tone and paint break references, but I have nothing that shows inside the doors and door jambs. If you could shoot me some of those from your daughters car, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
FOOKING AWESOME!!!!!!!

Wow I can't believe those handle came like that.

The ones I have are mint. But they were also about 10+ years old sitting in the box on my shelf.

I like how u improvised and adapted the handle with the brushed looked!!!

Thanks John. Yeah, obviously the handles were pretty disappointing. But for the price of them, I kinda figured that might be the case. The reviews online on them weren’t very flattering either. But rather than b*tch, moan and complain about them, I figured I’d try to turn my lemons into lemonade.

I searched all over town here for any in the parts stores because I remember a time not that long ago that they used to have 5 or 6 hanging on the shelf at any one time.

That ship has long since sailed apparently.

I could have easily ponied up the extra cash for some OE GM ones, but I couldn’t really justify that either because I knew I’d be taking the 220 sandpaper to them for my brushed effect.

The ones you had on your shelf for a decade are undoubtedly better quality, made back before the quality standards were relaxed for the sake of production and profit. I only wish I had’ve had the foresight to squirrel some of those away back then too.

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!! VERY nice work D.

Thank you very much James!
I believe this is the first time you’ve commented on the thread, welcome and nice to have you along!

Holy sh*t, amazing as usual. Sucks about the door handles but that looks unique. I see a painted car in the near future.

Appreciate it Christian.

You’re absolutely right, I’m busting my hump pretty hardcore on this old girl to try and make my self-imposed deadline of ready for paint by spring. It’s gonna be tight if I do make it, but I’m trying my level best to make it and still not sacrifice quality.

Wow !!!!!!! No words ...just Wow

Thanks Mike, as always. I really appreciate the guys like you who have been in my corner and behind me since day one.
Much respect sir.

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan,

Your work is just outstanding! That is going to be a very special car. It already is. Thanks for the awesome update. I really enjoyed it. I love following along with your progress. I know that update took a real time commitment so thanks again.

Best,

Jared

Jared,
Thanks my friend for the kind words and encouragement. I’m glad you enjoyed the update, I’m just sorry it was so long. There was a lot to cover, and it’s my own fault for letting it get so behind. The time commitment was necessary before I got even further behind!
Gonna try not to let that happen again in the future, smaller and more frequent updates are definitely the ticket from here on out.

Everything looks great as usual, D.
I ended up doing the same, or similar treatment to my door handles, only that I painted them body color.
I saw it done on an El Camino years back and thought it looked pretty trick.
Thumbs up as usual, my friend. (y)(y)

Thanks Jack!
I can in no way take credit for the door handle mod, it was from guys like Jim and yourself that made an impression on me with that modification. I hope you don’t mind me borrowing it.

As for painting them body color, I seriously considered that, but decided it’s not the right “feel” for the theme of rest of the car. The sky’s the limit when it comes to options for these handles, if what I’m trying to have done doesn’t work, I’ll just come up with something else.

Thanks for the thumbs up!

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Absolutely stunning work Donovan! Looking forward to the update on the Astroroof.

And where did the W-30 badge come from? I don't remember seeing it on Olds Cool before?

Thanks, and I can actually say I’m looking forward to a change of pace with the AstroRoof as well. The only problem with this hobby is that there’s always two (or more) of everything!
I need a small break from doors and fenders for a bit.

And AHA! Somebody’s been studying the pictures in detail! There’s only one picture that I posted with that badge visible, and you caught it!
It’s obviously likely not much of a secret anymore, but I’m gonna withhold details on that until after the car is painted.
😁

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor