BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Donovan, you are a sick man:). Your body work inside the trunk is better than most of our body work outside of the trunk. I pulled my 70S outside to see how my Tremclad roller paint job looked in the light of day, orange peel city, despite much sanding, good thing I put on 6 thinned coats. I even practiced on the 88 Cutlass first, no comment on it. I did the back half last which turned out the best. It looked good in my garage which has awful lighting. I say remove a few light fixtures and it won't take you so long to finish these projects:).

Reactions: 1 users
Looking good man! Think spring.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Great work as usual Donovan! I really like the look of the flushed marker lights!

Thank you Kevin! I’m really digging the look of them as well (so far, it should only get better from here). It’s kinda funny, those marker lights went from being one of my least favourite areas on the car in stock form, to one of my favourite with just flush mounting them.
:)

Are you kidding? Dude, that car is going to be immaculate. Exciting areas or not that’s real deal craftsmanship and pride. I absolutely love what you did. I never would have thought of this level of perfection. Keep doin it man, your work makes me wanna up my game.

Yes I have had a few drinks. But still. Great detail work.

Thanks again man. I really appreciate the support.
I don’t know about “immaculate” as you say, but I’m doing the best I can with what I know and what’s available to me. It’s not going to be a show winner by any stretch, but then that’s not the point of it either. I take satisfaction in knowing I’ve saved another G from the wrecking yards, and simply want to have a nice clean ride I can be proud of when I’m done. Something I won’t be embarrassed to be seen in!

View attachment 83470 Hick . . . I resemble that remark. I’ve had a few too drinks. I felt left out so jointed Stephen Coldbeer and Jenipoo that cute chick in the spy movie with some good rum, hick, but I stabuloosly degree that this build is just . . . I love you man! Your work is just dicredulous hick . . .

Seriously, what amazes me is how much you can get done in such a short period?

Um, it’s called work Garth!

View attachment 83471
It is? Shazbutts!

Garth, you crack me up sir!
I guess I now know what some of our members are doing on Monday nights...
:friday:
Thanks for the chuckle.

Donovan, you are a sick man:). Your body work inside the trunk is better than most of our body work outside of the trunk. I pulled my 70S outside to see how my Tremclad roller paint job looked in the light of day, orange peel city, despite much sanding, good thing I put on 6 thinned coats. I even practiced on the 88 Cutlass first, no comment on it. I did the back half last which turned out the best. It looked good in my garage which has awful lighting. I say remove a few light fixtures and it won't take you so long to finish these projects:).

Yes Christian, I probably am a sick man! It could be said that I have the automotive affliction for sure. It’s actually more like my attention to the details won’t let me let something like seeing the welds inside the quarters go unaddressed.
You do bring up a good point about lighting tho, the better the lighting you have or can get, the more stuff you’ll see.
The lights in my garage are split up into two banks, front and back, and I was able to see a few areas that needed attention just by having one bank or the other on. Sunlight is even better obviously, but not really an option for me at this time of year...

Looking good man! Think spring.

Thank you!
I’m definitely thinking spring, in fact it’s all that I can think about lately! Part of me is REALLY looking forward to the warmer weather and longer days, but the other part of me doesn’t want it to come around too quick just yet. Too many things I gotta get done on the car before that happens!
Either way, come hell or high water, it’ll be back on the road for this season!

Donovan, you are an artist! It is looking good!

Much appreciated sir!
Seriously, your guys’ support and encouragement helps get me through the “less than enjoyable” tasks on the car very often, and keeps me motivated with your feedback. For that I am extremely grateful. Thank you.

Well, you have now spurred me to get my entire car in primer before yours. Carry on!

That shouldn’t be too hard for you to do man! It’s looks like you’re rocking right along on the Malibu, and you probably have less work to do than me! Either way, if you beat me to priming the whole thing (as you likely will), I shall be the first to congratulate ya!
Keep on keeping on with it!

Thanks again for all the feedback, encouragement, support, kind comments and about a zillion other things I’m sure I’m forgetting you guys. It truly is appreciated.

Donovan

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just a quick update to cap off the night.

After having a closer look at the undercoating inside the quarter panels tonight now that it’s dry, I figured it could use a second coat, so I masked off the openings and hit it again. Much happier with the coverage and finish on it this time.

From there, I pulled off one of the quarter extension pieces, and prepped the inside for paint. Gotta do the other one yet, but at least one is ready to go.

After that was done, I dug out the rear center section that houses the license tag and reverse lights to start prepping that too. I blew off the layer of dust from it and gave it a good cleaning first.

9F22E52B-4663-4F73-A59D-26CE0C83AFC3.jpeg

I’ll go into it in more detail in the next update, but the condition and quality of the paint job that’s on it is downright abysmal. With it clean, I started sanding and stripping down the layers of old paint and primer. It is plastic, so all of it needs to be sanded by hand, no stripper can be used or it’ll eat into it. I’m using 320 grit which is pretty coarse for painting over, so I’m thinking I’ll hit it with 400 wet to knock down the 320 scratches, then a coat of sealer before color. That should be sufficient for this piece.

I got a fair amount done tonight, I’m hoping that I can get it finished off tomorrow night. I’m prepping the center piece and the quarter extensions so that I can spray them together, they all need to be white. With any luck, I’ll be looking to shoot color on them before the weekend.
Here’s how it looks now, after an entire night of sanding. A ways to go yet...

5749AE27-F204-442E-A714-FB29BCF5A955.jpeg

Also, I should have the new (proper) tires mounted on the front wheels either on or before the weekend as well. I even got them all cleaned up and the blue crap off the letters in preparation!

DD4901A0-1D34-4A01-A589-392EACD7F5F5.jpeg

That’s it for now guys, thanks for looking in on things at the Rktpwrd skunkworks!

D.

Reactions: 10 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
It's awesome to see primer laid down over all that meticulous metal work Donovan! The body lines already look crisp, and I'm sure after blocking they will look really good when the final paint gets sprayed!!!!

Ditto on that. The attention to detail on the metalwork definitely paid off. You could prob spray the base/clear with no sanding and have it look better that any factory original.

Great work so far.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey, what’s up again G body crew? Back with another update! It’s a fairly comprehensive one tonight with plenty ‘o pics, so be forewarned...

Last time I alluded to the fact that I’d go into a bit more detail on the condition of the paint on the center piece that houses the reverse lights and license tag.

I’ve mentioned more than once that the repaint this thing received previously in its life is complete crap, and it’s not because I’m overly critical or want to criticize someone else’s work, I’m just stating a point of fact.
Judge for yourself, here’s a couple close up photos of what I had to work with.

An overall view, a 5 footer at best:

ADF32431-BE98-41A3-875A-33E479139EDE.jpeg

The right hand reverse light opening. Note the obvious overspray and non matching color inside it:

5D40C650-C5F3-44BC-9DF8-ACCDC4AA9BC2.jpeg

A nasty paint chip right on the visible edge:

7719287C-68DF-4A71-9A7B-29535AA96501.jpeg

This one is particularly bad. Don’t really have to say anything here... WTF??

9E84D460-89D7-4348-8A46-2037022D8774.jpeg

In this one, note the “melted styrofoam” looking stuff along the top edge. This is a monster run that was full of holes from solvent pop when it dried.

8ED2AB30-C12F-4B53-B10C-700F3CABF7CE.jpeg

Same here. Solvent pop is caused by using the wrong reducer in your paint for the temperature range in which you’re spraying. In this case, the solvent was too slow and still trying to evaporate as the paint was already curing in high temperature.

94B47E4B-F16E-4CCE-ABF0-53A848F89DEC.jpeg

Insufficient coverage and poor adhesion:

299F341B-818C-4122-872A-94D5856826A3.jpeg

Anyways, you get the point. It was poorly prepped and sprayed. This is important, because it means it makes my job to properly refinish it all that much harder. If this was the original lacquer paint, I would be able to simply scuff it up with a red Scotchbrite, feather out the deeper scratches, hit it with a coat of sealer before paint, and be on my merry way.

However with all this to contend with, I had to physically sand off most of the layers right down to bare plastic in most places. This was extremely labor intensive and time consuming as it almost all had to be done by hand. I was only able to use the DA sander on the large flat sections.

Here’s what it looked like after I was finally done and gave it a good bath with hot soapy water and a wipe down with wax and grease remover:

AA3622C1-129C-4031-B21B-B7C7C6888FB9.jpeg

B3F6A25D-3624-4E41-9D88-AFD92A300323.jpeg

9931E3DF-FF2A-4359-A534-BA822630A5BA.jpeg

82E9884D-5A7E-48DC-A2B7-1FC6EA2725C6.jpeg

Not much white left on there!
With that hassle done and out of the way for now, I turned my attention to the quarter panel extensions. These were a treat to prep in comparison, they were already primed and ready to go. A good scuffing of the inner areas and a blocking of the visible sections finishing in 400 grit dry was all it took.

64AC687C-376B-48FB-AACF-7BBA15787FF5.jpeg

031E1350-E12B-4B21-AA07-7796A63715E6.jpeg

At almost the last minute, I remembered that I had two more areas that needed to be painted as well, the coves behind where the plastic bumper fillers attach. I really should have painted these areas when I did the tail pan and trunk jambs, but I really wasn’t ready yet. I still had rust removal to do there, and they needed to be epoxied and seam sealed so it got bumped down the line until now.

Like the quarter extensions, a good sanding with 400 dry and a light scuffing with Scotchbrite in the hard to reach areas is all it took.
All prepped up and ready to go:

A3847954-60F8-43C2-9FE2-0E16027A9446.jpeg

396DA88B-292D-41CE-BE17-0ACA150BC267.jpeg

That’s quite a few pics already so....

Continued >>>

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
With all the parts and areas prepped for paint, I dove into my least favourite task, masking. It actually went fairly well and I didn’t even lose my sh*t once!

Pics: I did a soft edge (not visible in these) where the new paint had to meet up with the existing, you just roll the tape back on itself exposing the sticky side as your edge, and leave it with a bit of a bubble in it. This usually works quite well. It prevents having a hard tape line where the two meet.
On a side note, the trunk made for a nice table to spray the other parts close by.

CEB68FBC-FDF0-44EF-928D-587A79C54027.jpeg

48919EDE-34DC-4B5D-8527-6C1EE6A9AC78.jpeg

After everything was masked up and wiped down, I mixed up a batch of epoxy primer thinned with one part reducer which then makes it a sealer. I coated the entire center piece, and touched up a couple of spots in the bumper coves that accidentally got sanded to bare metal.

I’m not much of a fan of using a sealer before paint, but it was 100% necessary to do on the center piece because of the incompatibility of the lacquer substrate and the single stage color I would be laying down. The sealer went on kinda pebbly despite my best attempts at setting up the gun. This is frustrating because it’s now the basis for the color going on next.

After a half hour flash and induction period, it was time for color. These were taken after only the second coat, the coverage got considerably better on the 3rd and 4th coats.

Sorry in advance for all the pics of the center piece, it’s just so large that it’s difficult to see any of the areas in detail unless I took close ups.

65F0ABFB-106D-4BA8-BA96-C82EEACDF726.jpeg

A99370C9-0461-4E60-BFDC-9D27ABD9541E.jpeg

372A54CA-CEFD-4A9D-A522-888E75DC288E.jpeg

4E342C63-311B-42FA-9C36-EE14C9FD6193.jpeg

Yep, I got a couple of “flow indicators”. Luckily they’re in areas where no one will ever see them...
Pobody’s nerfect!

7E118FF6-D0B2-4919-ADED-1A0A8A44B237.jpeg

7748B3D9-9E82-4EBD-9F76-9A912D41AFA0.jpeg

The inner edges of the quarter extensions turned out quite nicely tho:

6F7C431A-DF91-4B1D-81EC-EE22EED3CD54.jpeg

01635D48-1C2A-4181-B6A9-98EAE07ED953.jpeg

After letting it dry for several hours, I went back out and unmasked the car. I’m very pleased with the end result, it was well worth the effort IMO. Flow indicators and all!
:LOL:

Here’s everything now that they’re (mostly) dry:

B74AD7CF-CEAA-4A90-8C04-B203E8F1833D.jpeg

B5B0AC86-0A3D-4377-AB58-19678C50E708.jpeg

408C2BED-DAFE-4FCA-AA5F-360AA93EFA25.jpeg

222ABF3B-1D95-45EA-BDB7-A18D508F61E0.jpeg

C3C91C2D-60EF-45EF-A7D6-C291378797C1.jpeg

2C7E6645-BDA8-4319-84A4-C69575DF963D.jpeg

38F33A0E-5F20-417F-B6E1-933960ABEF12.jpeg

E01DCAA4-C049-4E5C-9754-B9CD2C4E9182.jpeg

I’ll continue to let everything dry and cure overnight and possibly longer, but when they’re safe to handle I’ll be reinstalling them back on the car. Center section will go on permanent, quarter extensions semi permanent (they’re going to have to be separated at least once more when the exterior of the car gets painted).
Once the center is back on, I can finally reinstall the back bumper and free up some more garage space!

That’s all for now guys, I’m off to evaluate the condition of the reverse lights as they and the license tag will be going back on shortly, they may need a little lovin’.
Thanks for checking back in on things!

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 13 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor