BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looking good Donovan. The car is really coming together.

Thanks Chris, I’d have to agree on the coming together part. It feels great being able to put parts back on instead of taking them off for a change!

Nice update!

Thank you Jim!

Awesome work, very well done and nice car.
It´s always interesting to come back to this thread and gives me for my car a lot of ideas.
Go on in this way (y):)

Thanks Martin, I certainly will.
It’s nice to have you aboard, and it’s pretty cool that my little old build here is making it all the way to you in Hamburg.
Thanks for commenting!

I don't know how much little parts you have to strip yet, but down here in the States Harbor Freight sells a media blaster and soda blast that works awesome on plastic. The blaster is about $20 and a 50lb bag of medium soda is about $40 USD.
https://m.harborfreight.com/50-lbs-medium-grade-armex-soda-blast-media-65929.html

Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestion!
I did recently pick up a spot type sandblaster from our Harbour Freight equivalent...
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/spot-type-abrasive-blaster-kit/A-p6320642e
...but I hadn’t considered using it with soda on plastic. That sounds like an attractive solution, and just might work. For the price of a bag of soda, it would certainly be worth a try. Especially if it saves me a ton of time in labor stripping all this stuff. I do still have quite a few pieces left to strip, but they’re pretty much all these urethane rubber (or whatever they are) bumper fillers.

I will investigate this further, thank you!

looks great D! nice to see it coming together!

as soon as I saw the areas under the bumperettes, I thought about mother's... great stuff, and does great on bumpers, even later cutty's that have been neglected for years...
View attachment 84141
(my 86 cutlass salon that is last on the project list...)

Yep, that stuff is great Darin!
As the commercial says...

3BFE5CE7-3F97-4B93-AC33-5025712E8A0C.jpeg

Lol
All joking aside, I really do use that stuff quite a bit. I’m constantly amazed at how often and on how many things I use it on. It does a great job on chrome, polished aluminum (obviously), but it’ll also shine things like plastic lenses up nicely too.

Putting the shine back on the bumpers is just a temporary thing for the near future, once I’ve got the car painted, I’ll be looking to carry over the brushed theme that’s on the trim onto the bumpers as well.
That should prove to be an interesting endeavour!

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Another great build! I love the stealth look of the engine.

Thanks, much appreciated! It fools most people at shows, they wander right by it without so much as a second glance because it looks (to them) like the stock engine.
:sneaky:

Do I hear keys typing....??

Yes Kevin, oddly enough you do!
Here it is...

Well, it looks like most everyone else has updated their threads in the last 2 days or so, so I guess I had better do so too!

Not a whole lot to report on this week, after seeing Mike struggle so much with welding in a patch on the driver’s side wheel well last weekend, I figured I had better give him a hand with it during the week while he was gone.

I finished off what he had left to do, then made and burned in two more patches that needed to be done on the same side. No pics of that process, it’s not terribly interesting anyways.
In my usual overkill manner, I decided I couldn’t live with the state of the existing paint and condition of the wheel well, so I went after it with the fibre wheel and started stripping the old paint and crap off. I’ve got most of the inner wheelhouse done, just a bit left to do on the outer and the seam between the two.

Once the seam is thoroughly cleaned out, the entire well will receive a couple coats of epoxy and a good scuffing before new seam sealer gets applied. Once that’s done, it’ll be time for the finish coat. At this point in time, I’m thinking of applying a couple coats of spray-in truck bed liner. That stuff is near indestructible and has a finish very similar to the undercoating that was in there before.
Should look good.

These are the pics of how the wheel well looks now, the patches have all been welded in already and dressed down. The remaining rust pitting along the pinch weld flange has also already been addressed, it was treated with some rust converter, and should now be neutralized.

F6B6745F-21B8-4523-8E41-6B4BA23B81EF.jpeg

9F8BC601-0E64-43EA-B5D0-A9A710E366AE.jpeg

372DBAEE-742F-436D-9794-7D2A3D379ED8.jpeg

Unfortunately, there is still the passenger’s side left to do...
:(

557153A6-06BB-4AD2-8A57-CAAED13189AA.jpeg

Something that I keep forgetting to mention too, is several months ago I picked up a different set of tailpipe tips. A couple of you had mentioned that the ones I had picked up earlier didn’t exactly suit the car, and in hindsight, you were completely right.

To better suit the style/build/theme, I found some 2 1/2” polished stainless slash cuts, 8” long. It’s tough to see in these pics due to the lighting and angles, but I gave them the brushed treatment to match everything else. They’ll get tack welded on for this year while I’m driving the car, but will have to come off again to properly access the underside of the quarters when the car goes for paint.

FB5902CC-9C98-4361-81E8-CA6536AC1EE7.jpeg

80772256-D0A1-44E5-AC0F-56A7FFBFCC3C.jpeg

This morning we finally caught a much needed and long overdue break in the weather, so I loaded up the front wheels and new tires I picked up a couple weeks ago, and headed off to get them mounted up.

My four legged buddy Tucker wanted to enjoy the sunshine and warmer temps today as much as I did, so when they were ready, we both jumped in the truck to go back and get them.

“C’MON DAD, let’s GO!!

E6863243-7674-4F14-8A65-94EF0433B4CE.jpeg

:rofl:

Once back in the garage, I cleaned up the fronts...

AD2AAA9B-16AA-4358-A34E-AD5F9636DFC2.jpeg

... followed by the rears since they were off already anyways and desperately needed it after months of being covered in body filler dust.

FBF46932-300F-486D-A10B-BE75851C39C7.jpeg

Time to get ‘em back on the car!

A72B0161-A4F8-4788-88FC-91C91577DA3C.jpeg

00DC9E07-1F5B-44C7-BE1A-1F0513F465D9.jpeg

32168C7C-E5AC-4C27-8BB9-748DE54D8AEA.jpeg

I think these fit the bill nicely. They’re not quite so wide on these narrow wheels, and look more at home especially on the front. The car also now has a nice little rake to it, nothing major, but just enough to make it look good.
:)

119AA666-A4D3-49DB-86D7-42A34560B2A7.jpeg

5ABB081C-287C-476C-8E79-FA20C2DA5BDC.jpeg

That’s all I’ve got for now guys. Thanks as always for checking back in on things!
Until next time,

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 18 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looking Good Donovan! I like the look of the tailpipe tips a little better than the others, and man those wheels and tires look great! I think I need to buy the next set I find as I really like the look of them. Tucker looks like a good buddy to have along for a ride.

Keep up the great work!

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Now I see why you have spacers on the back Donovan, those wheels look awesome and tires are just the right size. Those tips are nice and subtle, which goes very well with the rest of the car. I had 245/60R14's on my factory 14" x 6" aluminum rims.
FB_IMG_1516330444226.jpg
FB_IMG_1516330425291.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
love how the new tire sizing gives it the old school "rake", great call on re-sizing! the new tips also look alot better than the last, funny how the old ones didn't look out of sorts until the new ones were in...you're def making the most of the "Mr. Riddler" moniker that you've been tagged with, as giving full attention and care to areas like the wheel wells, something most of us wouldn't even think about, an almost full concours detail!

car is looking great, keep up the momentum!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I like those tips a lot better. I used to have a female dog that looked a lot like yours. That dog was my favorite. She went every were with me. Brings back memories, thanks.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Great work Donovan (as usual). As for everyone else....Olds Cool is a lady! Enough with the "Great Tips" "I like those Tips" comments. Have you no respect for the girl :rofl:

Excuse me while I delete my history. Don't want the little woman to find out I've been looking at tips on the internet too. :p

Hutch

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Great work Donovan (as usual). As for everyone else....Olds Cool is a lady! Enough with the "Great Tips" "I like those Tips" comments. Have you no respect for the girl :rofl:

Excuse me while I delete my history. Don't want the little woman to find out I've been looking at tips on the internet too. :p

Hutch

Oh! And there’s the innuendo!!
Y’know, there’s nothing wrong with admiring a nice set of tips, just as long as you don’t try and touch ‘em...
:ROFLMAO:

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor