BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Might need to do a "hot wire kit" on it if it's as slow as the normal power windows are.

It shouldn’t need it Bruce.
It worked fine when I bought it, and was still working great when I had to remove it.

There doesn’t seem to be as much drag in the track assembly operation as there are in the window mechanisms, less parasitic friction with the rolling wheels in the AstroRoof I guess. It had always seemed to operate quickly and easily, it just had to be disassembled to restore the outer sheet metal pan.

Hopefully that’ll continue to remain the case when I reinstall it.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well gents, another night and another small victory.

Tonight was all about getting the headliner material attached to the slider board, the very last step before the rest of the AstroRoof assembly can be completed.

I don’t know if I mentioned it previously or not, but the slider board has to go in before the outer pan to complete the reassembly. That meant it had to be recovered with the headliner material first. Hence my buying the material already.

Earlier today, I found some 3M heavy duty spray adhesive from NAPA, we just won’t discuss the astronomical amount it cost. Tonight, I began by cutting a slightly larger piece of the material than I needed, and laying it out on a nice clean surface on the stand.

5EFFFFFB-9F98-4F9E-80D0-E4B31F78040F.jpeg

Flipped it over, and made sure the backside was clean and relaxed as well:

EF49AD91-9CB9-4B1B-825F-FD787461E948.jpeg

The next step was to lay the slider board on top, and figure out where I needed the excess material overlap to be:

3750E3F3-FCB2-45AF-9F50-25ABA29B75BD.jpeg

Once I had the slider positioned where I was happy with it, I traced around the perimeter with a grease pencil so that I could see where to position it once the glue was down:

D61F17B2-278F-4A9C-98E5-9449DF221541.jpeg

Almost ready to begin, I lopped off a small piece of the headliner scrap, and set out to do a test. Anytime you work with new or different or unfamiliar materials, you always need to test for compatibility. You do all do this RIGHT???

Yeah, me neither usually.

But since a bit of grief is potentially at stake here, I felt it worthwhile. This is the spray glue I picked up today, it’s rated for heavy duty use, and for heavy weight headliners in particular:

7FFF26B2-79C6-400B-836F-2CE010FADE83.jpeg

Nothing particularly interesting or special here, I just followed the instructions on the can, and gave both pieces 2 overlapping coats:

25CC1745-90EC-4030-9DDD-44377F794379.jpeg

Here’s where I DON’T recommend following the directions on the can. It claims that the pieces can be joined together after a 4 minute period, but not more than 30 minutes. That’s a bunch of hooey. I waited roughly 10 minutes to ensure both pieces had “tacked up”, but I found that was too long. Both pieces were basically already dry. No sticky sticky together.

So I reapplied a bit more, and joined them together after only 3 minutes. Much better success, and an important lesson learned. Glad I did the test piece.

9A43BA25-2EE0-46E8-ACD1-06FBD98AC7C0.jpeg

Next was to lay out the slider board with the side that needs to be glued facing up:

DBE77272-395F-497A-9106-3C78C217DA0C.jpeg

Now or never, time to get after it!
Glue down on the material...

BC79FF05-4B88-444E-BF2E-E08772628108.jpeg

...and on the slider:

DE7EE55B-7BD6-4D9F-92A5-1D56A293BCB2.jpeg

Once the glue is down, time becomes a priority. So I didn’t have a chance to take the couple pictures in between that I would’ve liked, but the slider was placed on the material, pressed into place and then the overlapping edges were hit with a bit more glue. Then stick down the overlapping edges:

0EE96B6A-1D6D-4717-BD92-0D3CE53E535D.jpeg

Be prepared to do a little stretching and trimming here, the edges of the slider aren’t perfectly square so I had to do some minor repositioning. I hadn’t given much thought to the corners, but what I found worked well was to just let the excess material bunch up and stick to itself. Then just trim it off almost flush from the outside. A pair of sharp scissors are a requirement here.

Flipped it over, and laid it out on a clean surface. Inspected my work, success!!!

D3CAA983-E021-4D87-BFD7-78D8987A5744.jpeg

354B2EDA-0E4F-4B04-8CDF-B980495C13C6.jpeg

I wasn’t quite done yet, the last couple pieces still needed to go back on. The sides of the slider board get plastic rub strips, these just friction fit over the sides:

E00F7F6E-B74B-4923-8447-727B1FB3CB3D.jpeg

These rub/slider strips are why I was a bit concerned when I realized the new headliner material was foam backed, I wasn’t sure the foam was going to compress enough to allow the strips to go back on. However I’m pleased to report, they’re a bit snug but they went on fine with a little persuasion from a small dead blow mallet:

5EB4161F-2427-415A-A549-0798F7F53B0F.jpeg

Last thing was to trim around the embossed areas and reinstall the pins. These just thread in and hook into the underside of the outer pan. The pan then pulls the slider back with it when you open the roof:

CB7FA46F-56BF-4ADE-92C9-6558BCCF785E.jpeg

Underside of the now completed assembly...

2C05841C-8E34-4B7F-A3FF-1E4D442FEE5A.jpeg

...and of course the important side again:

BFE497BB-CD45-4E87-8E69-83BBE4AC22AA.jpeg

E30B9F44-3A91-4929-AE75-AA014FCA37C0.jpeg

Jeez, mechanical, body work and paint, plumbing and electrical, with a small bit of millwright thrown in for good luck, and now upholstery, and I’m becoming rather well-rounded!!

Mike is unavailable tomorrow, off camping or some such foolhardy thing, so after letting this cure overnight I’ll be doing the final assembly of the cartridge tomorrow. Then Monday, he should be back in town and we can get this beast of a project reinstalled back into the car!

Until then...

D

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
looks great! the couple headliners I've done, I usually only let cure for a couple minutes, as the foam seems to want to draw some in and speed up the process.

when you took the headliner out, did you have a complete backing board, or did yours only go up to the pan?

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You gave me a small heart attack there when you flipped the panel down on the glue. I've always laid the material on the board either from the center out or from an edge across, smoothing it with my hand as I work across the panel. Looks good though!

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
looks great! the couple headliners I've done, I usually only let cure for a couple minutes, as the foam seems to want to draw some in and speed up the process.

when you took the headliner out, did you have a complete backing board, or did yours only go up to the pan?

Yep, that’s what I found as well Darin, the foam backing soaking up some of the glue. In regards to that, through trial and error I found that by moving the can a little further away from the piece the glue went on the surface better and didn’t get absorbed by the foam nearly as much.

As for the original headliner, it was/is a complete piece. It goes right up to the top of the windshield like any other standard non-AstroRoof headliner, and has the opening cut out of the middle of it. Unfortunately, this made the areas to the sides and by the visors extremely thin and fragile and even handling it with extreme caution, it still broke.

It’s currently being stored in the trunk of The Juggernaut, I’ll have to see if it can be repaired. 🤞🏻

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You gave me a small heart attack there when you flipped the panel down on the glue. I've always laid the material on the board either from the center out or from an edge across, smoothing it with my hand as I work across the panel. Looks good though!

Thanks. Yeah, normally I think I would’ve done it the way you said, but because all the sides weren’t getting the same amount of overlap I needed to be sure that I was gonna get the panel exactly where it had to be in relation to the material.

If it’s any consolation after the fact, technically I did start at an edge and work my way across. I found it easiest to align the back edge with my mark and slowly lay it down from there. I certainly see where it quickly could’ve backfired on me though. Glad I dodged a bullet there.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I've seen replacement abs boards with the opening for the sunroof already there. I haven't taken mine down yet, but it appears to only come up to the pan on mine, and the fabric stretched out to the sides. guess I'll find out when I finally get back on it.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I’m definitely looking forward to being done with this AstroRoof project. Not because I haven’t enjoyed it, but more so I can stop typing “AstroRoof” every single update!
🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've seen replacement abs boards with the opening for the sunroof already there. I haven't taken mine down yet, but it appears to only come up to the pan on mine, and the fabric stretched out to the sides. guess I'll find out when I finally get back on it.

I’m sure I’ve seen them in ABS as well. I’m not sure I’m gonna have the patience to fu*k with trying to repair the broken headliner, so when the time comes I think I’m gonna get a couple estimates on getting it repaired and recovered at the same time.

If that turns out to not be cost effective/unreasonably expensive, I’ll look much harder at acquiring one of those ABS ones. Of course I’ll have to do some more research there first, I’ve heard of complaints from guys having problems with them staying up due to the extra weight.

We shall see.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor