BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Why can't we see this stuff on Motor Trend or any other wannabe tech show?
Because to fit it all in between all the commercials, they'd show you 30 seconds of the rusty part, then 35 seconds of a guy reaching up to take the first screw loose, then a few seconds picture of the refinished unit ready to install, then finish with the next shot of the guy taking 20 seconds to carefully wipe the dust off the final, painted and perfectly aligned and installed unit. "That's all the time we have for this week and thanks for tuning in. Here's what's up on next week's show...…"

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Because to fit it all in between all the commercials, they'd show you 30 seconds of the rusty part, then 35 seconds of a guy reaching up to take the first screw loose, then a few seconds picture of the refinished unit ready to install, then finish with the next shot of the guy taking 20 seconds to carefully wipe the dust off the final, painted and perfectly aligned and installed unit. "That's all the time we have for this week and thanks for tuning in. Here's what's up on next week's show...…"
Sadly, very true.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

So much win!

Thanks man. I made pretty good progress this past week, and it feels good. I’m now just looking forward to getting it reinstalled back into the car.
The AstroRoof assembly has been out of the car going on 3 years now, ever since I removed it to fix the rust damage caused by the vinyl roof.

It’s been a long time coming.

Awesome progress Donovan. That sunroof will look and work like new, and will hold up so much better because of all the extra weatherproofing you've given it. I'm looking forward to seeing it back in the car.

Are you going to paint that car in your garage when you are done with the body work?

Definitely not Jared.

I don’t mind priming and painting these smaller parts and areas in the garage, the collateral damage caused by it is usually minimal. But even at that, what I’ve done up to now is starting to accumulate, primarily the overspray on the floor.

I’ve made a couple of important connections with some customers of mine that have offered their paint booths for me to use to spray the car when the time comes. The most attractive at this point is a local high school that received a multi-million dollar upgrade to all their automotive equipment. Brand new, state of the art downdraft spray booth, with flash and bake cycles, air fans for waterborne paint, but no objections to me using solvent based stuff either.

$100 for as many days as I need, plus access to their masking supplies for another $150 if I want. The only catch is that I’d have to allow the students to watch me work, and give some tips and pointers along the way. Sounds extremely reasonable to me.

Plus if I can swing it, maybe even free labor from the kids in helping me mask it!
😁

Great progress. Very detailed on a part of the car that very few people think about. Very nice work

Thanks Josh!

Awesome work as usual Donovan!

Thanks Kevin, really appreciate it.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I wouldn't let you touch my car if my life depended on it. You don't seem to have a clue about what you're doing. Friggin' novice.

Hahahahahaha!

Just kidding. I certainly appreciate the level of detail of your build reporting, and going to the trouble of laying out your thinking along the way and anticipation of potential issues. Your finished product will be awesome, I'm sure.

Nope, no clue what I’m doing whatsoever!
🤣
But I fake it really well, don’t I?
:mrgreen:

Thanks.
When I initially started on working on this AstroRoof project, I knew virtually nothing about it. So naturally, I started doing some research online to find as much about it as I could.

What I found was, there is almost zilch out there as far as specific details on the components, where they go, how they work, and even how they come apart and go back together. At the time, I would’ve killed for a detailed thread like what I’m putting together here, so if this helps someone else out in the future, then I’ll consider all this worthwhile.

As they say, the devil is in the details.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You should get a fire extinguisher tatoo on your other arm!

Hahahaha!!! Love it.

Or the chemical equation for the reaction turning iron oxide back to iron.

Ooooh, good one.
If there was such a thing, that’d definitely be a contender. Heisenberg eat your heart out!!!

Why can't we see this stuff on Motor Trend or any other wannabe tech show?

Thank you sir. I take that as the sincerest form of flattery. I genuinely appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Donovan, the deal with the school sounds like a winner, winner, chicken dinner! Make the kids go through the build thread as a prereq, so they know what it takes to get a good (LOL- who am I kidding) FLAWLESS foundation.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You know after all this, you'll be considered "The Astroroof Whisperer."

Reactions: 2 users

B's 87mcss

Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2018
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Donovan, I'm shocked, employing child labor to finish your project, Tisk, Tisk.
Seriously, good for you, those students will get a real view of what it takes to do a project correctly, not just and hour on TV and you have a Ridler contender.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor