BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So this week’s update is pretty black and white. Or should I say, white and black.

Last night, got the slider board hung up and wiped down...

BA0DF2BF-7893-4B23-96BE-55D2C3EF67ED.jpeg

...then shot it with a couple coats of white epoxy. (Didn’t have enough in grey to do the whole thing):

841DB225-F516-4D76-913A-49C4EF2F3B3D.jpeg

8FBC7E56-981F-4988-9B42-65465C33F766.jpeg

As you guys have seen me do countless times before, the epoxy got its one hour setup time, then 2 coats of Satin black:

AD5900A4-69B6-456F-A286-7DDFDAFD8A11.jpeg

2BF041CE-DDDE-44A2-BEE5-7BF21BE8E072.jpeg

BCC47419-7F8E-4100-B6D8-E062F0F2783D.jpeg

Nothing special or fancy about this, it’s just for corrosion protection before the headliner material goes on. Something even the factory didn’t do.

Speaking of headliner material, I got a call yesterday afternoon saying that the stuff I had ordered last week was in, and I could come pick it up. The minimum I could order was 3 yards, more than enough to recover the AstroRoof slider board and the entire headliner.

Imagine my surprise however when I found that it came pre-foam backed, I guess most of them come this way now:

9AB74432-E511-46D3-9BB2-916B5B824537.jpeg

Hopefully this won’t interfere with the operation of the AstroRoof, the slider board from GM didn’t have any backing to it, just the cloth glued on.

For anyone that’s curious, 3 yards of headliner material equates to about 9’ - 4” long by about 5’ wide. Not bad for $80.
It IS huge though, I had to roll it out on the basement floor because that’s the only space I had big enough to do it!

89F5848E-E5D1-479A-BCF4-61EB203D7598.jpeg

The material texture and pattern weave looks very close to the original, I think once it’s done and in the car you’d be hard pressed to tell it’s not stock.

With the slider now painted and the headliner material in my hot little hands, that means I’m still on track to try and get the AstroRoof installed back into the car on Monday. I’ve gotta try and track down some 3M heavy duty Spray Adhesive 90 to attach the material tomorrow though, so hopefully that won’t be an issue.
Wish me luck with that!

That’s all for now gents, thanks for looking in on the progress and Happy Easter!

D.

• Optimistic
  • Winner
Reactions: 16 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Jesus... You take anal to a whole new level. Amazing work as always!

Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Coming along beautifully! Really looking forward to the headliner install. I’ve been thinking more about getting my 86 Salon back on the road, and the ASC moon roof headliner and slider is in really poor shape, and when I was looking around before, I never did find any good info on it. Sorry that I need you as a guinea pig!

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jesus... You take anal to a whole new level. Amazing work as always!

Meh, I try.
:mrgreen:

Thanks, I’m just trying to do the best I can, and improve where I feel the original stuff was lacking.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Coming along beautifully! Really looking forward to the headliner install. I’ve been thinking more about getting my 86 Salon back on the road, and the ASC moon roof headliner and slider is in really poor shape, and when I was looking around before, I never did find any good info on it. Sorry that I need you as a guinea pig!

No skin off my nose whatsoever Darin!

I don’t mind being a trailblazer here one bit, especially if it helps others like yourself out in the process. In fact that’s part of the reason I document everything here, yeah it’s partly showcasing what I’ve done (and can do), but it’s also just as importantly about providing information for others.

I had the same issue as you, I could find next to no information about anything AstroRoof related, short of how to replace the outer seal and that I should buy the manual from G Body Parts. (Which I didn’t)

I’m not sure just how much of the info I’ve posted here will relate to your ASC moon roof, but hopefully it’s similar enough to be of some use to you.

D.

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Very nice. After all this great work we need to see the video of this thing in operation. Thanks for sharing.

Noted. I’ll see what I can do once it’s back in the car.
👍🏻

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for taking us along with you on this build. I'm learning so much from your posts. Thanks!

Hutch

My pleasure Hutch, thanks for following along and commenting!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor