BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
$500 to rent a booth is really fair - but given the current worldwide economic circumstances it isn't prudent. So, yeah best to wait for things to settle down.

But I am in agreement with @motorheadmike on this. It's probably best to wait a little while til this virus things settle down regardless of what you do. Maybe the school will get back in session at some point...

Agreed 100% guys. Things are just a little too unstable and unpredictable at the moment to proceed as planned, but then again I’m not totally there yet. I still have a fair amount of work left to do on the car before it’s absolutely ready, and even when that point comes there’s still other stuff to do to keep me busy.

So in the meantime, I’m gonna continue on as planned and as if nothing is different yet, then we’ll reevaluate the situation once it’s ready to go.

But if you want to consider getting it done sooner, think about the offer. It sucks to get this close and then have the money pump (job) throttled down or turned off.

I'll contribute... just for the knowledge I've received from the encyclopedia of information he has taken the time to publish here.

Hey, I'd be in to throw some cash towards the booth rental! It was done for me and I would pay it forward.

I'll chip in as well.

id chip in to get that nice paint job finished

Wow guys, just wow!
Y’all never cease to amaze me with your kindness and generosity. I’ve honestly never met a more selfless and upstanding group of people on a public forum than you all. Thank you. I’m truly humbled by your generosity and offers to help.

However, it’s not a do or die, or must be done thing. Hell, it’s not even close to important with what’s happening all around us at the moment. I have the money set aside for paint materials and the booth rental if needed, I had posed the question about $500 for a booth rental to gauge whether or not that was a reasonable price. I sincerely appreciate all the offers to help, but I’m not about to be one to mooch off of the kindness of others to further my own goals.

I will find the best way forward through this in these most difficult of times the same way I always have. On my own. The support of you all here is all the contribution I need.
Thanks again.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 28 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hmmph. Now you're going to make me spend that $250 CAD 🇨🇦 ($30 USD 🇺🇸) elsewhere...

Oh look! I just found a pair of NOS GM (Anco) windshield wiper blades for $29.98.... money spent. :)

So don't come begging later, Donovan, cuz now I'm broke. You friggin' ingrate...

hahaha. j/k. We'll back you up if you need it, dude.

We're all living vicariously through your build. At least the crazy ones are. Stay safe! 😷

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I sprayed some bathroom stall walls in my shop once. I hung some very heavy poly "walls" from my 16' ceiling to the floor, taped them up, opened the bay door and away I went.

When I was done, I walked out of my makeshift booth and could hardly see across my shop. Half my tools still have red on them.

Never again.

I plan on painting the Malibu when the shop is built, but before anything goes in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Amazing! I wish I had the patience to do that level of body work. Your car is going to be a show winner for sure!

This is a High School?!?!?! WOW! That's an incredible shop. My highschool had a really sorry excuse for an auto shop and even the A&P program at my college didn't have a facility that nice, but this one looks as good as some of those professional training institutes.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Unfortunately around here the high schools have gotten rid of all the shop classes; Wood, auto, metal, all gone. Drafting, Homak went away with it, now your choices are Music, Art, Dance or Drama, later you can choose to take a 3rd language (English and French are already mandatory).

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
still trying to raise the funds for Scott's alignment over here.
I'm on the verge of shipping our do-it-yourself alignment tools to Scott. I know where he lives. Keep nasty flunkies off Cutty! Ahhhhhhh!
gollum11_lrg.jpg

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
In amongst playing with colors and pinstrping on my trunk filler panel and painting the entire inside trunk on a ‘57 Chevy, I got the repairs made to the driver’s side quarter panel this past weekend.

Before:

2B89C43E-29E4-4F95-B0D0-EEBBA4A0CC74.jpeg

1BF44CCE-8427-44E2-9FD7-1E29C046ECB5.jpeg

32C34793-E803-44B3-8347-6CFAF45CF205.jpeg

During:

6E4127F9-CBFD-434C-A452-093D0D474FA2.jpeg

67E8A7F9-0284-4932-8082-1E7040359099.jpeg

And after more masking:

4EA6986C-E5CF-48E2-803D-54D4CE07F9ED.jpeg

Picked up some more supplies this afternoon...

0C7E9B5E-ABE6-4BA2-8469-292457A89517.jpeg

...and after dinner got the quarter shot with another 4 staggered coats of high build:

B722BDA7-26AF-4E4E-B395-2C405A43F9F9.jpeg

Gotta love it when it’s straight enough to see a perfect reflection in wet primer!

CEB6EE5C-3990-49F5-A6A4-75D0273AA2D8.jpeg

And done:

CA53F950-7B54-481F-A7CB-B97BE6BA464A.jpeg

Tomorrow night I’ll guidecoat and block sand the crap out of it again, hopefully it won’t need another round of priming.
We shall see.

Got a tasty little glimpse coming up into the final two tone and pinstripe color layout that I’m working on, but first I gotta bust this quarter panel out before I can get back to that and finish it off. So stay tuned!

6E740190-A063-49E5-927C-303B66BB6B89.jpeg

592D9E00-CD82-40EA-A0BD-A1788EFBC553.jpeg

D.

Reactions: 21 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor