BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
that's rough,i'm sorry.and i thought my price increase last year was lame.
1/17/2020
Clear DCU2021 - $259.53
Activator DCX61 - $152.69
Reducer DT885 - $34.56
after seeing your costs,I'm automaticly feeling better about HOK prices and others that i think are high..

I’m not cheap, and have no qualms whatsoever about paying good money for good quality. But I do have to draw the line somewhere. TBH, if I could get it at your prices I would seriously consider it. But definitely not for double. I can buy a whole sh*t-ton of cheaper clear that might not go as far for a heckuva lot less.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Yep, I started out using ShopLine but they discontinued it, or at least my distributor can’t get it anymore. But I switched to the Omni high build and my distributor swears it’s the same product, just labeled differently. And they seem to be right because the Omni high build has all the same characteristics and I’ve even been able to use the extra Shopline hardener in it I had left over.

As for the paint, I haven’t bought it yet because I obviously want the freshest stuff I can get. It’ll definitely be solvent based tho as I don’t have the equipment to spray water bourne. I’m thinking it’s going to be PPG/Omni MBX or MBC basecoat and MC2910 (MC760) high solids clear.
PPG has what they call “Platinum distributors”, at least that’s what they have in the US. They are the ones able to carry shopline, the regular ones get Omni. It’s unfortunate because the shop I work at uses Envirobase big insist on Omni clear. I find that I’m able to get a good result with Omni MC161, but it’s very difficult to work with. I work weekends at a shop that has shopline clear and it’s a much easier to use product. I think as long as you keep it in a garage you’ll be good with the cheaper clear long term. With the prices you listed it seems like there’s no such thing as cheap clear.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
PPG has what they call “Platinum distributors”, at least that’s what they have in the US. They are the ones able to carry shopline, the regular ones get Omni. It’s unfortunate because the shop I work at uses Envirobase big insist on Omni clear. I find that I’m able to get a good result with Omni MC161, but it’s very difficult to work with. I work weekends at a shop that has shopline clear and it’s a much easier to use product. I think as long as you keep it in a garage you’ll be good with the cheaper clear long term. With the prices you listed it seems like there’s no such thing as cheap clear.

My distributor was a Platinum right up until last year when PPG revoked it for whatever reason. My distributor is very tight lipped about it obviously, but I suspect it’s because the sales weren’t there. Things like that almost always boil down to the $$$.

So yeah, that being said ShopLine products, being high build or clear is off the books for me.

What do you find so difficult about the Omni clear you mentioned? I notice it’s different than the stuff I listed. Have you ever used the MC2910 clear? It’s supposed to be a mid-ranged, mid-priced clear. I’m just wondering if I’m going to have difficulties working with it as well.

I can’t guarantee that the car will always be garaged, I need to get back on my Juggernaut project and will need the space in the garage during the winter months. Hopefully this clear will hold up to the elements long term.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not sure how tight you are with your distributor, but I can get you shopline. Let me know what you want and I'll shoot you a price. We did just open a store up there after all... ;)

Thanks! I’ll never turn down an offer to help!
Lol

Maybe if 08Malibu can supply us with the product/part number of the ShopLine clear he likes, I’ll get a quote on 2 gallons plus the activators and reducers required for it. They’ll usually sell it in some sort of kit form.

What’s the store you just opened here, Lordco?

Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
That's the one!

Some guys around here are using the envirobase clear, ECP15, over shopline JBX and JBPX, supposed to be some of the best clear going. Of course, PPG doesn't cross-test their product lines so there is no proof I can give you for longevity when applied over anything other than envirobase.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
The shopline clear I used was JC630. I only used it once to clear a motorcycle tank so I can’t vouch for how great it is. I just know it sprayed way better than MC161, which is what I use daily. The Omni that you mentioned I’ve never heard of down here so I really can’t say if it’s good or bad.

I should ad that the shop I work Saturdays loves that shopline. When they switched to PPG they stuck with DeBeers clear. They just recently went to this stuff and haven’t had any issues.

Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I snapped a picture of it to show my rep since we use a different supplier. Maybe it’s not compliant for your area.

Attachments

• F5FA8CD8-F444-4D44-B91F-F366E9D9F4A5.jpeg
    F5FA8CD8-F444-4D44-B91F-F366E9D9F4A5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor