BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Looks awesome, who would have thought

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maybe you could have shot them in black, to match the air cleaner. Contrast is good. The silver Oldsmobile would pop more than it does now.

Ah, no biggie. They still look good.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Not sure what you mean with your “fastest color” question??
I suspect you will coat the headers in typical Skunk Worx understated color, black. I was thinking however, that 'Olds Gold' is the fastest color....maybe not for headers, though...

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
So I’ve kinda been holding out on y’all that didn’t see my post in the “What did you buy for your G Body Today” thread.

Our beloved Turna PM’d me on these unique valve covers that he found on eBay. I waffled at first as I’ve already gone through two sets of covers searching for just the right “look”, but the more I thought about them, the more convinced I became that I wanted them. If nothing else, they were so different that I could just paint them up all pretty and hang ‘em on the wall as garage art:

View attachment 146562

View attachment 146560

View attachment 146561

What makes them so unique is that they’re small block Chevy size and bolt pattern, yet they very obviously say Oldsmobile on them. I’ve since learned from fleming442 and streetbu that these were actually available through the GM Performance Parts catalog, and were originally sanctioned by and for Nascar after Olds got out of racing but were still using Olds bodied cars.

Anyways, enough history lesson.

After I got them in my possession, I started thinking a little more seriously about actually using them. They’d need a little work to become functional, as they didn’t have oil fill, breather or PCV holes. As much as I really didn’t want to, I nutted up and drilled each cover for the needed grommets. This is where having a little bench mounted drill press really comes in handy.

Drilled, and the grommets in place:

View attachment 146565

The staining is from the aluminum cutting fluid I used, it easily cleans off with some wax and grease remover. Next I put a nice straight-line brushed finish on the letters with a little 80 grit on a block.

View attachment 146563

View attachment 146564

With the letters now easy to clean off, I slathered both of them in liberal amounts of Corporate Blue and let them dry. Once dry enough to handle, I spent an hour or so playing with some Q-tips dipped in lacquer thinner.

View attachment 146566

View attachment 146567

View attachment 146568

I worked on them upside down because the way the tops are slightly angled, it made it much easier. Doing this isn’t as tedious as you might think, and it’s actually quite rewarding.

View attachment 146569

These will still need some sort of baffling put in place so that the PCV valve doesn’t suck oil, but after researching some options, I’ve decided that I’m going to use some special baffled grommets that are available from Moroso and a few others.

With that decision made, tonight I was able to install them:

View attachment 146571

View attachment 146570

Success!
I finally have the look I was wanting all along, something that looked unique and special, like perhaps it could’ve been a rare factory option, or only available on a special order .

I know you guys are either going to love (Scott, me) or hate them (Zach 😉) but they’re there to stay. Personally, I’m very pleased with them.

D.

P.S - Does anybody wanna buy some nice valve covers with only a couple of starts but zero miles on them?
Seriously. PM me if interested.
Love them!

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I’ve never seen a SBC pattern Oldsmobile lettered valve cover, very interesting. I think it they look great. 👍
If I remember right, they made Buick and Pontiac ones as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Oh those valve covers look mint!
I like that you left the aluminum the way it was when you got them, those imperfections in the castings really add character to them

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor