BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Question for you. Will you be sanding the sealer after it is sprayed? I've have very little experience using sealer, or body work for that matter, but it's based off the high build primer. I wouldn't think it would be as smooth as the vehicles current state.

No sir, no sanding once it’s in the booth. This is and will be applied as a “wet on wet” sealer. Just as you’ve seen me do in the past with painting directly over flashed off epoxy in the same session, the first coat of color goes on the sealer after it’s drying period.

Keep in mind, although it’s the same product, the mixing ratio is slightly different and has the added component of the clear to it as well. The ratio to make it a high build primer is 4:1:2 primer/hardener/reducer, whereas the ratio to make it a sealer is 3:1:1:1 primer/clearcoat/hardener/reducer. Less actual primer content and the addition of the clear will dramatically alter its viscosity and appearance/layout once it’s sprayed. But I’m just as curious as you at this point to see how it lays down.

Glad you got all you needed and came in under budget, good for you, Donovan! I bet it’ gonna be a long week. 🙂

Indeed Mike, it’s going to be a long week and probably difficult to stay focused at work. I have so many things to think about and remember to take with me that weekend it’s crazy!

I thought the PCV went on the passenger side?

Well actually.....

I honestly couldn’t remember, so you got me poking around looking for the answer.
The wore out dog 305 that the car had when I bought it had crappy peeling M/T aftermarket valve covers, so that didn’t help answer the question. I did a little digging this morning looking for SBC equipped Cutlii and happened upon this pic of an original ‘79.

You gotta look close but you can just make out the PCV at the front of the driver’s valve cover.

1B95726D-8012-44EA-A85E-DD870005BF31.jpeg

In my case the breather won’t clear the dual snorkel air filter housing on the driver’s side so the PCV pretty much had to go there anyhow.

The solution was factory Oldsmobile grommets which are both baffled and look factory, they would have made those faux covers look even more factory.

Interesting Christian, but how did you get “D” shaped Oldsmobile valve cover grommets to fit in standard round holes in the M/T covers??? Also, I call BS on the Olds grommets having baffles, I have several spares of them sitting around and have never seen baffling in any of them.

Also, these are not “faux” covers. I can assure you they most certainly are a real heavy duty cast aluminum Chevy valve cover.

If you want to add a fill cap to your valve covers these are the ones I use on my fabricated valve covers and they are made by PRW.
It's a billet aluminum modular design so all you have to do is drill a hole and mount it.
I have one on my Monte and Regal, they come in 4 finishes or prep and paint them.
View attachment 146946

Thanks for the suggestion, but I won’t be punching any more holes in these somewhat rare valve covers. I figure for the number of times a guy needs to add oil, I can just as easily pull the grommet out at the same time as either the breather or PCV. And if I tear one, I still have a spare left over.
👍🏻

Well this was a fun Sunday morning update.

Sarcastic or serious Mike?
One never quite knows with you...
😎

Reactions: 9 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Indeed Mike, it’s going to be a long week and probably difficult to stay focused at work. I have so many things to think about and remember to take with me that weekend it’s crazy!

Lots of notes, write it all down so nothing is left to chance.👍

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Doesn't matter which side gets the PCV as long as the opposite side has a breather. Under vacuum, air enters through the breather and is drawn into the engine, along with blowby, through the PCV. Under WOT, those vapors get blown out the breather. Drawing the air across the engine with the PCV allows it to capture more of the vapors than if you had both on the same side.

Car's looking good, I got my hopes up that the Friday you were gonna load was 2 days ago, then I saw the post was from today.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lots of notes, write it all down so nothing is left to chance.👍

Yessir, that’s what I’ve been doing as best I can. Problem is I never seem to have the list handy when I think of something!

Doesn't matter which side gets the PCV as long as the opposite side has a breather. Under vacuum, air enters through the breather and is drawn into the engine, along with blowby, through the PCV. Under WOT, those vapors get blown out the breather. Drawing the air across the engine with the PCV allows it to capture more of the vapors than if you had both on the same side.

Car's looking good, I got my hopes up that the Friday you were gonna load was 2 days ago, then I saw the post was from today.

That’s my understanding of how the PCV system works as well, and why my breather and PCV valve are on opposite sides of the engine. It’s worked very well for me over the years on different engine combinations.

I think a lot of people got confused as to when the paint date was, despite my best attempts to make it clear. It seems everyone thought it was either this or last weekend, not the upcoming one.

On an unrelated note, are we going to hit 300 pages in this thread before it gets painted? It seems only fitting to have roughly 100 pages per year over the last 3 years it’s taken me to get here...
😅

Reactions: 5 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I was just stirring sh*t up. Theoretically, it shouldn't matter which side the PCV is on. If you go by engine rotation, it should suck the air in on the driver side, but it's all isolated above the head, so the rotation shouldn't matter. Just random thoughts to engage brain activity.

Where are the T-bolts? :banana:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
  • Agree
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you gotta have that exam while flat on your belly, you got bigger problems, dude!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor