BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You raise an interesting question there Bruce. Unfortunately I don’t have an answer for you as I’ve never studied the wiring diagrams for turn signals with the cornering light option.
The pigtail and the bulb for the cornering light comes out of the same split loom as the signal light, but obviously they’re separate circuits or the cornering light would flash with the signal. There’s gotta be a switch somewhere that supplies a constant 12V signal to the cornering light when the signal is activated
They are intergraded to the turn signal switch. The harness conectors has an extra three wire section on it, with the following wires:
Brown (#9 Tail, License, Park & Side Marker Feed)
Orange (#57 L.H. Cornering Lamp Feed)
Black (#58 R.H. Cornering Lamp Feed)

• Informative
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

ranllett

Apprentice
Dec 29, 2013
Calgary Alberta Canada
Gents, I was privileged to have some face time with Donovon and his amazing cars last week. The work on these cars is first rate and more impressive than the photos. And the Photos are great. I am looking forward to some "show and shine" events when all is done.
Randy in Calgary

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Better than fine. That looks awesome. I admire how easily you take on each new idea and work it through it with no apparent fear. Keep up the inspirational work.

Oh, and I just binge-read the last five pages. Those appear to be Vortec heads on your engine, based on the triple sawtooth in the front end of the casting. Pardon if you already described the engine build, but what exactly is lurking under there?

Thanks Quinn.

I suppose I don’t have any fear when it comes to making these changes and modifications simply because there’s not really much to lose. Almost everything is able to be changed or fixed if anything goes sideways. That’s the beauty of working with metal. It’s actually fairly forgiving. If you remove too much from somewhere or make a cut someplace you shouldn’t have, you can simply weld it up and try again.

I have a love-hate relationship with wood for exactly that reason. You screw up with wood and you’re getting a new piece and starting over. Steel on the other hand, I’ve yet to drill a hole in some and have it split on me! 😠
Lol

I suppose some of it comes with years of experience too, and lots of trial and error. You don’t have to screw up too many important pieces before you start to learn from your mistakes real quick.

As for Olds Cool’s engine, Vor-what??? Triple sawtooth huh??? I have NO idea what in the heck you’re talking about! It’s just a refreshed simple stock little 160 hp 305...
Honest!!!!!!!!

73C1D6E7-C66A-40A1-8E2C-617F30F5AFEC.jpeg

69B7034D-8B92-4E10-9F6F-8F189A1E7466.jpeg

5484B0ED-D114-4827-BD8C-AF5DFBE56859.jpeg

😈😈😈😈

Amazing work; i´m speechless......................................................... ;)(y)

Thank you Martin!
Appreciate you following along all the way from Deutschland!

The flush mount and cornering light are stuff that I love- subtle touches of custom!

Thanks Bruce. I love subtle little details like that too. It’s the way The General should’ve done it to begin with IMO.

Great work Donovan!

You beat me to that! :ROFLMAO:

Thank you!!!

Btw, LOVE Pinky and the Brain. Great cartoon from my past. Wish it was still on, The Brain was always my favourite.
😅😅😅

Once again I will not take my ADD/OCD medication as you always make my obsessions pale. :p

Love these small details!

I appreciate it brother, thanks so much.

However, I’ve seen the level of detail and quality you put into your rides like the ‘Bu and the square body, you might just have more of the OCD disease than you wanna admit! You might only be a year or two behind being as obsessive as I am!
😉

Thanks for continuing to follow along through this journey.

Is it healthy that I want to set this last photo as my screensaver? Simply stunning work!

Uhhh, to be honest.... Probably not, no!
But hey, certainly no judgment here!
Lol

Just kidding, thanks for the compliment and support. I really honestly do appreciate it from ALL you guys.

Great work on the fender / turn signal mod, Donovan, very slick!

Thank you sir! It’ll only get better from here on in, once the fender is smoothed over and the light is more integrated with the curvature, and the lenses are polished back up to their former glory it should look as if it originally came that way.

Thanks everyone, for all the support, great comments and compliments. It means a lot.

D.

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gents, I was privileged to have some face time with Donovon and his amazing cars last week. The work on these cars is first rate and more impressive than the photos. And the Photos are great. I am looking forward to some "show and shine" events when all is done.
Randy in Calgary

Thank you Randy. It was a pleasure and honour to meet you as well. I truly appreciate the compliments and kind words.

Gentlemen, what Randy neglected to mention is that he has an absolutely CHERRY and beautiful Malibu himself. I’ve never before seen such a beautiful survivor. Hopefully he will get some pictures up for all to admire soon!

Randy, I really enjoyed the bench racing session we had here at the Rktpwrd Skunkworks last week. Along with being able to walk you through my cars and their stories, and hear the story behind your gorgeous Malibu.
I look forward to hopefully being able to do that more in the future as well as getting our cars out to a few shows together as well.

Cheers sir. Sincerely,

Donovan

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Pretty simple little update for tonight.

I removed the light from the fender and spent some quality time acquainting the openings with a fine file. Got all the edges perfectly smooth and and grinding flash removed.

Once that was looking good, I had to make a few modifications to the flanges of the light. Essentially, I had to remove some of the plastic edging around the mounting holes so that I could fit some stainless flat washers in there. Putting the washers between the light and the fender allows me to fine tune and shim the height of the light where it protrudes through the openings.

No pics of modifying the plastic on the light, but here is the light reinstalled on the fender with the flat washers in place.

9290FE51-BF7B-42A4-B597-05B52131AE80.jpeg

The outer edges sit up a little proud...

3AFA141C-5A60-46F0-B462-14F08C6504DF.jpeg

... this is due to the fact that I’m installing a light with flat lenses into a curved surface. I’ve got an unconventional idea that I’m going to try out that should correct this, but I’ll get more in depth with that once I try it. Stay tuned to see how that’s gonna work out.

With that done, I addressed a couple of other little areas, did a better job of stripping off the remaining paint and primer from the inside wheelwell flange than I was able to do laying on my back and working overhead. Took the opportunity to dress up the edges of the flange to a uniform width at the same time, from the factory they’re pretty wavy.

While the car was upside down, (kidding, ok just the fender was upside down),

A5305340-CCDF-4410-8290-603E10104841.jpeg

I buzzed up two wheelwell trim holes I had missed along with three in the underside front that originally mounted the lower stainless trim.

377A7D8E-F36C-49E6-BE9B-D39904878F08.jpeg

11FC51EE-D5EF-49AC-A87E-CF643400D805.jpeg

After these pics were taken, I dressed them down naturally, and they’re all but done.

At this point, the last of the welding and grinding should be done, I cleaned up all my fabricating tools and put them away in preparation for the next step which will be going back to filler and sanding.

No updates for at least the next two days, but I’m looking forward to starting to fill and block sand this lower light area.

Till then, cheers guys.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Awesome work! Make sure once you get those cornering lights polished that you shoot them with a UV clearcoat, otherwise they'll get foggy fast. But I'm sure you've already thought of that. ;) As everyone else has said, stunning craftsmanship!

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Left.JPG

When you find a fork in the road, take it! - Yogi Berra.
:cool:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor