BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
needs a 2-4 of Kokanee Stubbies to complete the 80's look

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Dangit D, the other guys beat me to it lol!!! The trunk refresh job looks great, just as if it rolled off the showroom floor!

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys.

I totally get it Donovan, and even I felt that it was somewhat of a shame not to leave the bumper jack in it since it looks to be in such nice shape and you have all the right stuff.

Sean's 78 Z28 came originally with a bumper jack. We didn't have a stock jack and there is no way in hell we are going to pick up the car with one so we settled on putting an aftermarket floor jack in a blown plastic case in the trunk in case of emergencies.

Jared, I’m on board with you on the reluctance to actually use the bumper jack on the car. I was never a fan of them to begin with, especially nowadays when there’s so many better options available.

Having all the original parts and equipment present in the trunk is more to complete the look and finish out the trunk than for actual functionality at this point. Your plan of using a small trolley jack (or the newer style jack I picked up) for actual emergency tire changes makes much more sense, and will likely be the route I’ll take.

Another thing to consider is that if I ever wanted to actually use the space saver spare, I’d have to keep a set of matching tapered seat lug nuts with it as the 442 wheels that are on the car take a totally different style.
Food for thought...

That's it. Your OCD exceeds mine. I quit. Random car fire ensuing......

Ha!
That actually made me laugh out loud!
Thanks for the laugh, and I’m flattered at the implication, but please don’t burn that beautiful Malibu down!
Thanks man!

D,
The trunk came out amazing. It looks absolutely awesome.

Thanks Jack! I appreciate it sir!
:)

Looks great Donovan!

Thanks Kevin!

needs a 2-4 of Kokanee Stubbies to complete the 80's look

Agreed!
That, and the molded case of 70’s cassette tapes everyone had back then...
:D

Dangit D, the other guys beat me to it lol!!! The trunk refresh job looks great, just as if it rolled off the showroom floor!

Thanks Scott! That was the plan from the start, to try and do more of a restoration on this one and keep things looking original. I never used to be a fan of keeping things looking stock, but I guess Hafrod’s, Blake’s and several other members stellar builds on here have changed my way of thinking over the years.

I realized that I can still have the performance I love and crave while still having things almost looking like a concours restoration. In many ways that’s more fun because no one sees it coming!

Thanks for all the comments guys.
:)

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Very nice, haven't seen a trunk that well done. Actually I never have seen the cardboard pieces so those are new for me. Either I have never paid attention or any car ive seen they were already long gone.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Very nice, haven't seen a trunk that well done. Actually I never have seen the cardboard pieces so those are new for me. Either I have never paid attention or any car ive seen they were already long gone.

Thanks Josh.

The cardboard pieces are extremely rare and hard to find (at least in my area) nowadays. Given all the abuse a trunk sees in its lifetime and coupled with the fact that they were only cardboard and virtually disintegrated the first time they got wet, it’s remarkable that these had survived at all and were still present. Never mind the fact that they’re still in great condition.

That’s why I was all the more surprised to see them present and intact when I bought The Brown Bomber. Couple all those factors with these cars pushing 40 years old now, and it’s not surprising that the cars you’ve seen haven’t had them. I wouldn’t think that many of them would still have them anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
The trunk looks great Donovan, nice work!

Looking forward to the B pillars and Side Window work.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ya know, some people’s vision of hell includes the devil, fire and brimstone, pitchforks and a lake of fire.

Mine has acres of sky blue paper and too much gaudy lime green tape...
:doh:

F8AE9538-9A24-49E9-A04E-785FE33A5511.jpeg

6DCCE75C-AFFB-4108-BB5F-D23484E11265.jpeg

CC8D41F2-7F2A-4672-89F0-4052F0A626E9.jpeg

One side down, still one to go.
:(

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor