BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Alternate ideas- you can either use the rubber washers that go under the hood beneath the nuts for mounting the hood spear like the 83-84 H/O's used, p/n 3771494 (also used in earlier Chevies, etc.). Or you can fill the hollow trim nuts with the butyl stuff and seal the hole up on the bottom side, tighten them down and remove excess sealer. Probably won't ever have to remove the spear again, though. Then you don't have to risk the paint.

The method shown above is similar to what I did to my 84 H/O spoiler when I redid that car. I made little O-rings out of plumber's putty for sealing the holes. Rolled up the putty and wrapped them around the spoiler studs after placing the spacer and clear plastic spacer gasket on it and installed it that way. Stays flexible and excess squished through the top and the nut trapped the squished part and no cleanup was needed. Leak proof to this day.

They even make some of those speed nuts with sealer in them.

s-l400.jpg

I didn’t have those fancy speed nuts with the rubber washers built in, and was just replicating how I found it when it came apart. There were traces of old butyl still in the underside of the moulding around the studs, it was just old and dried out and not enough to adequately seal up the holes anymore.

But yeah, they would definitely work just as well. Anything to seal up the holes and prevent water from getting in underneath. I’m willing to bet this is a step that most guys would unthinkingly overlook.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I didn’t have those fancy speed nuts with the rubber washers built in, and was just replicating how I found it when it came apart. There were traces of old butyl still in the underside of the moulding around the studs, it was just old and dried out and not enough to adequately seal up the holes anymore.

But yeah, they would definitely work just as well. Anything to seal up the holes and prevent water from getting in underneath. I’m willing to bet this is a step that most guys would unthinkingly overlook.
You'll probably never have to worry about it again, though. I was simply offering up different ways to skin the same cat. Butyl works for dang sure. It just reminded me of the spoiler mounting situation.

Reactions: 5 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I'm having Olds Cool update withdrawals... :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
will there be a hood ornament on this car ? It looks amazing Jeff from Winnipeg

Jeff, I suggest you go back and read the 3rd and 4th paragraphs in that update. It details exactly what I did in place of the hood ornament.

I'm having Olds Cool update withdrawals... :LOL:

Well as your dealer in all things Olds Cool related, I’m always happy to hook a brother up! Have a look at the update to follow, it’s not much at this point, but any progress is good progress right?

• Happy
Reactions: 8 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Alright, the man asked for an update, an update he shall get.

Monday, my AstroRoof headliner board finally arrived after a long PITA battle to get it brought across the border.

78FE6024-7109-41FC-A891-2BC7186E7EA3.jpeg

I ordered it online from Highway Stars out of California, the company and the people themselves were extremely pleasant and helpful. There was absolutely nothing on their website about them not shipping to Canada, so imagine my surprise when I received a phone call from them the next day stating as such. That’s when the hassle and costs started escalating.

Long story short, I had to have Highway Stars ship it to a 3rd party storage facility on the US-Canada border in Montana, then hire a 4th party brokerage firm to handle all the legal BS and coordinate shipping from the border to me. Contacting Revenue Canada for an import number, signing a short form power of attorney form, plus opening the ole wallet wide were just some of the hurdles I had to overcome.

But anyways, it’s finally here. It’s an ABS version and only fits genuine CF5 factory installed AstroRoof’s, not the afterthought dealer installed ones.

224A7D12-F3D7-489C-93AB-4DBE8F7BC867.jpeg

It arrived a couple days late due to some rocket surgeon getting my address wrong on the box despite me CLEARLY stating what it was, but it was not damaged at least, so big win there. You may have noticed that it’s an uncovered version too, it made the purchase price a little less plus I already have the fabric to cover it in storage in the basement. I bought the fabric back when I needed to cover the AstroRoof slider board, so I didn’t want to order a covered version and risk having the two materials not match.

I’ll be tackling gluing the fabric on and trimming it out soon, I just need to locate more of this stuff and hopefully at a cheaper price than what I paid for this at NAPA:

6DBB1AEB-7C0E-4B3F-AAB7-A27C49251AE9.jpeg

So anyways, that’s where I stand with the headliner. On the body side of things, I’m still working on cut polishing (color sanding? wet sanding and polishing? cut and buffing? So many names I don’t know what to call it).

I’ve been slowly picking away at the driver’s fender for the past few weeks now, it had a couple of sags and a real nasty run that I managed to put in it during my exhaustive state on the last coat of clear. I finally got it finished up the other night, and it’s as good as I can get it now:

28999D8B-6A68-4417-9B60-D9A333445DDA.jpeg

F80ECF2E-AA13-4016-B118-8AE3585CDF64.jpeg

C50CE843-7F2B-4821-ACE5-A7508A1EF62B.jpeg

F989004C-2C35-4165-B895-991939CD1306.jpeg

B831D9A2-EF75-4A95-B33B-693B0F3BB389.jpeg

No exaggeration, I have sanded more on this damn fender than on any other panel so far, including the hood. Let that sink in for a minute. It’s ridiculous. I must say though, I’m thoroughly impressed with this clear. It’s hard as a rock and tough as nails, but put a little work into it and it comes up beautifully. Plus the gloss is outstanding!

I’ve got a similar and perhaps even worse run on the passenger fender that I’ve gotta contend with soon, but I want to get the fender mounted signal light indicators installed next, so for now I just cut polished the grey portion so I can still move forward without having to fight the run just yet:

ACC00046-07F9-460A-B7B6-8BDF51EBD373.jpeg

8F48F537-F80B-4D04-B855-9139F3DA5CC7.jpeg

F9E6806E-01DD-4D09-87A5-0263D46AA651.jpeg

And that’s pretty much it for now. I’m working on rerouting the fibre optic cables to the fender mounted indicators to minimize some of the stress on them, I should have pictures of them installed soon.

Until then,

D.

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 17 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Alright, the man asked for an update, an update he shall get.

Monday, my AstroRoof headliner board finally arrived after a long PITA battle to get it brought across the border.

View attachment 150397

I ordered it online from Highway Stars out of California, the company and the people themselves were extremely pleasant and helpful. There was absolutely nothing on their website about them not shipping to Canada, so imagine my surprise when I received a phone call from them the next day stating as such. That’s when the hassle and costs started escalating.

Long story short, I had to have Highway Stars ship it to a 3rd party storage facility on the US-Canada border in Montana, then hire a 4th party brokerage firm to handle all the legal BS and coordinate shipping from the border to me. Contacting Revenue Canada for an import number, signing a short form power of attorney form, plus opening the ole wallet wide were just some of the hurdles I had to overcome.

But anyways, it’s finally here. It’s an ABS version and only fits genuine CF5 factory installed AstroRoof’s, not the afterthought dealer installed ones.

View attachment 150407

It arrived a couple days late due to some rocket surgeon getting my address wrong on the box despite me CLEARLY stating what it was, but it was not damaged at least, so big win there. You may have noticed that it’s an uncovered version too, it made the purchase price a little less plus I already have the fabric to cover it in storage in the basement. I bought the fabric back when I needed to cover the AstroRoof slider board, so I didn’t want to order a covered version and risk having the two materials not match.

I’ll be tackling gluing the fabric on and trimming it out soon, I just need to locate more of this stuff and hopefully at a cheaper price than what I paid for this at NAPA:

View attachment 150401

So anyways, that’s where I stand with the headliner. On the body side of things, I’m still working on cut polishing (color sanding? wet sanding and polishing? cut and buffing? So many names I don’t know what to call it).

I’ve been slowly picking away at the driver’s fender for the past few weeks now, it had a couple of sags and a real nasty run that I managed to put in it during my exhaustive state on the last coat of clear. I finally got it finished up the other night, and it’s as good as I can get it now:

View attachment 150398

View attachment 150400

View attachment 150406

View attachment 150399

View attachment 150402

No exaggeration, I have sanded more on this damn fender than on any other panel so far, including the hood. Let that sink in for a minute. It’s ridiculous. I must say though, I’m thoroughly impressed with this clear. It’s hard as a rock and tough as nails, but put a little work into it and it comes up beautifully. Plus the gloss is outstanding!

I’ve got a similar and perhaps even worse run on the passenger fender that I’ve gotta contend with soon, but I want to get the fender mounted signal light indicators installed next, so for now I just cut polished the grey portion so I can still move forward without having to fight the run just yet:

View attachment 150403

View attachment 150404

View attachment 150405

And that’s pretty much it for now. I’m working on rerouting the fibre optic cables to the fender mounted indicators to minimize some of the stress on them, I should have pictures of them installed soon.

Until then,

D.
The clear will hold its gloss too. We had a car come back 3 years later and the paint I put on was still shining great.

Reactions: 3 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Ahhhhhhh... <eyes roll back as he slumps into his chair> got mah fix...

Thanks for the update Donovan! Awesome as usual!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor