BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
....It’s an ABS version and only fits genuine CF5 factory installed AstroRoof’s, not the afterthought dealer installed ones.

Car looks awesome as usual. Question about the headliner board. No worries about it being ABS? I've heard stories of them sagging once you get a nice warm day :/

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Car looks awesome as usual. Question about the headliner board. No worries about it being ABS? I've heard stories of them sagging once you get a nice warm day :/
ABS will get soft in the heat. I would suggest a strip or a few strategically placed squares of some quality, double sided tape to avoid such fiasco.
D, have you checked out the glue with its compatibility to said ABS? It's finicky stuff when using beyond its intended purpose (not headliner boards).

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I had installed an abs headliner in my t top TransAm. A little different but never had a problem

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Shawn, I think that may have been an issue with the early versions, the manufacturers thinking that the the stock supporting points would be enough to support it with no thought of what might happen with some heat.

Highway Stars included quite a bit of heavy duty Velcro strip to add in to the unsupported areas if needed. (Think roof braces) I plan on using it. Fleming442 is spot on with his suggestion of using it as well.

D, have you checked out the glue with its compatibility to said ABS? It's finicky stuff when using beyond its intended purpose (not headliner boards).

I have not as of yet Bruce, but now that you mention it I certainly will be. ABS is typically pretty resilient to all but the harshest of chemicals, so I can’t see a problem with it. But I will investigate further before I begin.

I had installed an abs headliner in my t top TransAm. A little different but never had a problem

Thanks for the feedback Tony.

Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
My headliner had fabric installed fyi
Also anything has to be better than the cardboard headline material of the past
Yuck...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
how did I get 5 pages behind so quickly??? looks great, and I'm def loving the hood trim!

My headliner had fabric installed fyi
Also anything has to be better than the cardboard headline material of the past
Yuck...

or the foam type I have on mine....

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Between the coat hooks and the dome light, I wouldn't think it would sag. We put one in Sean's Camaro. No issues.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good to hear about checking out the glue. I looked at the 3M stuff, confusing, multiple numbers of spray adhesives. I bought the Permatex stuff from Canadian Tire, even said for head liners. Their stuff is usually good, what the hell right? Wrong! I pulled out the headliner removed the sagging fabric and cleaned it all with brake cleaner. Followed the instructions for application and drying. Put it back in place, 2 days later, sagging as bad as ever. I ripped all the fabric off and spray painted the board which looks like sh*t to this day. I need therapy for my experience. Choose wisely, make sure it is high temp and good luck.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor