BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm going to have to start reading this thread using the TV's inner web since it's HD & will show your skills better. :notworthy:

Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Still no reply back from 3M on my adhesive compatibility inquiry, I guess the little guys that keep them going don’t warrant any attention.
C’est la vie.

As usual, I’ve been busy plugging away at the car. Got a little more progress under my belt, after 3 rounds of sanding and polishing the trunk lid is now completely done:

View attachment 151312

View attachment 151313

View attachment 151314

View attachment 151315

View attachment 151316

View attachment 151317

View attachment 151318

View attachment 151319

I’m not getting any quicker at it, but possibly a bit better.
Over last night and tonight, I’ve been working on and finished up the driver’s side sail panel and the top of the quarter:

View attachment 151324

View attachment 151333

Today I picked up another couple of compounding pads, the smaller orange one I used tonight to polish up this smaller area.

View attachment 151323

It works really well, it doesn’t require as much effort as the wore out white waffle pad I’ve been using:

View attachment 151325

View attachment 151326

And finally I’ve got something special for y’all. Something that I’m sure many of you have been curious as to what I was gonna do. The bumpers.

I’ve only done the back one so far, it took a little longer than I thought it would at almost 5 hours but well worth it in my opinion. The guys that are on Instagram have already had an advanced look, but for the rest of you, here you go:

I did it during the day last Sunday, then quickly reattached the un-refinished bumper fillers and bolted it back on the car Sunday night. Afterall, I had to see how it was gonna look on the car!

View attachment 151327

View attachment 151328

View attachment 151329

View attachment 151330

Let me tell you, it took a pair of big brass ones to take a piece of 120 grit sandpaper to a perfectly good chrome bumper. I stood there for more than a couple of minutes, sandpaper in hand, getting up the nerve to attempt it. But nothing ventured nothing gained, fortune favours the bold and all that, so away I went.

Personally, I’m REALLY digging the look and effect. The reactions so far have been extremely favourable as well. The thin chrome outer layer has been all sanded off, it’s just a pure brushed nickel finish now. I have no plans to clear or otherwise coat it with anything, pure nickel like this shouldn’t require it. If it does down the road, I’ll address it at that time.

And finally, one last overall look at everything together, the trunk lid and the brushed bumper finished and assembled:

View attachment 151331

View attachment 151332

The bumper to body filler panels still have to go back on, but they need to stay off until after the quarter panels are wet sanded and polished. The bumper to back panel filler panels will come back off and get refinished at some point, but for now they’re not hurting anything being on the car.

I’m interested in hearing what y’all think, lemme know!

Cheers friends,
D.
No update for more than a month???!!!
0c57c239e1e66c0e7e6ffad1435d918f--joe-dirt-quotes-joe-dirt-fireworks.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Cut him some slack. He's providing updates on What Did You Do to Your Shop Today?

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm not on Instagram. This site is the limit of my social media experience. I'm a geezer. I drive a Roadmaster.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 10 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
No update for more than a month???!!!
View attachment 154035

DB586A52-F870-4E43-902C-1E2E1CABB608.jpeg

It’s seriously been that long since I’ve updated?!? Damn. Ok, I’ll see if I can’t put something together for y’all for the morning.

Cut him some slack. He's providing updates on What Did You Do to Your Shop Today?

Yep, and on “What did you buy for your G Body today?” as well.
😉

Mini updates on Instagram.

Also true. Search @rktpwrd5 on Instagram.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I actually just joined like a month ago myself. Awfully late to the party.

Yep, same here actually. I’ve only really been on it since January or February of this year. As Jared said, I’m a geezer too I guess. Dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. At first I couldn’t tell what the hell was going on or have the slightest clue how to use it, but thankfully InjectedCutty got me set up and showed me the ropes. Now I’ve got a whole new audience to showcase my work to, and have received some very positive comments in the process.

What’s your username on there?

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sorry guys, no update tonight.
It’s another 1am night in The Skunkworks and I gotta get some shut-eye, so I’ll have to put one together a little later today. But I promise, there’ll definitely be one in the next 24 hours.

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor