BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
His job working on air compressors takes him to these places.

Donovan, is it absolutely out of the question painting it in your shop? I'm just thinking if anyone can pull it off it would be you. I have been lamenting on how to spray mine when time comes. Please tell us getting a "good Paint" job can be done without a booth.... I'm not talking about Riddler quality here.... just very nice.
It's absolutely possible to get good results in a garage. If you are building a car that will be driven, absolute perfection is not required. It will get rock chips. My brother's car already has a good sized one on the front bumper cover andvit has maybe 5k miles on the paint job. This car was painted in a garage....

Donovan, if the booth means that much to you, $500 doesn't seem that much to me. You know more about this than me but I'm told you will have trash in the paint, even using a booth. Color sanding is what makes or breaks the paint job.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Admittedly so, fair enough. Next time I'll have the wife record it and give it the full enchilada!
It's absolutely possible to get good results in a garage. If you are building a car that will be driven, absolute perfection is not required. It will get rock chips. My brother's car already has a good sized one on the front bumper cover andvit has maybe 5k miles on the paint job. This car was painted in a garage....

Donovan, if the booth means that much to you, $500 doesn't seem that much to me. You know more about this than me but I'm told you will have trash in the paint, even using a booth. Color sanding is what makes or breaks the paint job.
That is beautiful brother. Did you paint it?

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I painted my car in the garage. It's alot of work preparing a garage for paint, but it's absolutely doable. With a bit of creativity setting up an exhaust fan(s), lighting, etc.,,,and of course, covering the entire garage to keep the dust at bay and preventing parts of the garage that you don't want over spray on. Let's face it, nothing beats a well equipped, well ventilated spray booth. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. We all have an innate bit of creativity in us all.
Sometimes we have to tap into it in order to get it done.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I understand it just fine.
Lots of people like to throw around the phrasing, but I've taken the tests and seen the Dr's...
For myself, its severity fluctuates mostly around my stress levels, but certain rituals I simply cannot deviate from.
Watch me close and lock a door and then ask yourself if I understand OCD lol

My post was more to highlight the fact that paint booths and good results aren't mutually exclusive...
I painted this in my buddies garage last fall.
View attachment 140633
View attachment 140634
My apologies, I was making reference to Donovan's OCD, not yours. What he does in the space he has available is unreal, but knowing him, a garage paint job is not what he's after despite the results he would undoubtedly be capable of.

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey guys, what’s up.

Sorry for the lack of replies and updates lately, I’ve just continuing to keep really busy in The Skunkworks. I haven’t updated recently because I was getting the feeling y’all are getting tired of reading the same ‘ol thing every time, “masked and primed this, and block sanded that” over and over again.

I get it, it’s dull to read and dull to do too some days, I can assure you. However part of me wants to continue to do it just so you get an idea of just how much work goes into a quality job, how labor intensive it is, and how long it takes.

And before y’all start asking, no the car is not painted yet, in fact all the little areas haven’t even been finish repaired yet. But I’m still hammering away at it, night after night, week after week.

The booth situation is still up in the air too, but I’ll sort something out there as far as that’s concerned.

Starting to finally make some headway, in fact the list of what’s been addressed is actually shorter than what’s left to go.
The list of the panels that have been completed and are good to go now in 220 are:

Hood
Trunk lid
Trunk to back window filler panel
Header panel
Both front fenders
Sail panels
AstroRoof panel
Most of the roof
Most of the quarters
Most of the passenger door
Rocker panels

I’m currently in the midst of working on the driver’s door, the repairs there have been done and tonight I got it masked up for spot priming more high build:

B93BCC3E-2377-4494-94BF-6EE004A75D5A.jpeg

I’ll just be hitting the repaired areas, there’s no real need to re-prime the whole door.
After the door is done and good to go, the list of what’s left is down to:

Both quarters around the marker lights
Both quarter extensions
Two small spots on the passenger door
And a couple minor spots on the roof

Not bad compared to what I started with!

In other news, the fallout from the Corona virus situation has finally impacted my tiny little corner of the world. As a really horrible April fools day joke that wasn’t a joke, my small family run employer announced that we’re reducing business hours, gave all the office staff substantial wage cuts, and laid off our outside sales and parts people. They originally wanted to also lay off 2 of our 4 technicians (me), but they finally decided to keep us all on but pursue job sharing.

For those of you unfamiliar with job sharing, it’s essentially that we’ll work “x” number of days a week, and unemployment insurance pays the rest. At only 55% of our regular wage however.
As an air compressor service company, we’re considered an essential service, but with so many companies closing down, laying off staff, working from home, and watching every penny, there just isn’t enough work to sustain us at our current level.

What this all amounts to is that my income will be substantially reduced, but I’ll have more time to work on the car. Catch-22. In all reality, I’m just extremely grateful to still have my job.
I’ve since imposed a “no non-essential spending” policy on myself (give or take a garage supply or two 😉) but if the current situation doesn’t improve soon, the $$$ I have earmarked for painting the car may need to go towards more important things.
Like keeping the lights on and a roof over my head.
This is the one thing that could prevent me from getting the car painted this year.
😕

Anyways, here’s a couple pictures of the progress I’ve been making lately, hope y’all enjoy.

Driver’s fender and header panel side:

41CBB884-43D9-4337-913D-7B71F8FEA5DF.jpeg

00CF5176-75DE-4E48-A52A-57329FD8EE5A.jpeg

21E63180-0962-4F46-A42B-2D468781305E.jpeg

And wetted down with a little wax and grease remover so you get an idea of what it’ll look like with gloss on it:

225ABB49-E431-49CD-BDE5-BEB1BAF4AFDC.jpeg

0B8BEE0D-5BB6-4C9C-83ED-387A1C49DCCB.jpeg

77B17A82-0578-4EDC-B0CD-9C9622E02F89.jpeg

F0B88318-C18B-40D9-897D-D48BBA59EF59.jpeg

Aaaaand the header panel:

26558B86-001A-4157-8A9B-FD2D4703A723.jpeg

B0581EBB-4412-455F-AA15-A4781AECBF29.jpeg

E8F7A5C9-4CB1-4E4C-89E6-ED1DFD117E51.jpeg

E16CDB84-5E55-47C5-A55B-6AE15D9D73FC.jpeg

B9E5D478-B77D-427F-84CC-AF67ADB7CBA9.jpeg

It’s pretty cool to see the entire front end of the car looking clean and straight now!

That’s it for now guys, as always thanks for checking in on the build.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 25 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Great progress, Donovan, the To Do list is getting shorter and the Olds looks great!
Sorry to hear about you hours being cut back, it’s definitely a set back financially.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor