BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
No problem!
I can’t speak for Hutch, but I’ll just go ahead and add you to my list, behind (in no particular order), NorthernRegal, and SN696, and MotorheadMike, and InjectedCutty, and 1evilregal, and...and...and...
Keeping the car cover of humility on the coupe until D starts taking requests....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Crack? What crack? I honestly can't see it. Awesome as always bud.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Where’s the “that’s really weird” emoji??

Seriously, stop that. That kid’s really creepy. He’s weirding me out!

A7D63643-9D1A-4CE5-9F4F-B7815C929427.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wow. Unreal. Learning so much here ! Thanks

Thank you in kind!
This build is a record of my progress, with all the ups and downs as they come along. The information I impart along the way is my way of contributing to the greater collective knowledge for everyone on here.

I appreciate the kind words!

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Couldn't weld trim. Now you officially suck! :) J/K. Great workaround on the trim.

WTF about the white metal? I always thought that lightweight, flimsy, and very bendable anodized trim was aluminum based. Zinc corrodes badly when exposed and I have never seen that trim, even when damaged, exhibit zinc corrosion to what I've witnessed. Very strange alloy, indeed. That is so wrong that you can't even spot weld it from the back. Call Reynolds Wrap and have them make some thicker sheets!

Keep it up! I have extra popcorn now.

Right???

I assure you, no one was more surprised at the revelation that the trim wasn’t aluminum than me. I’m actually more intrigued than ever now to find out exactly what this particular alloy is.

Anyone know any metallurgists?? Get them some old trim to test out!

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nice to find out GM was really super cheap on the materials used to make our trim. And thanks to your documented repair the value of POS trim has trippled, Fleabay thanks you. :banana:

Good point!

I hadn’t considered that if this knowledge becomes widely known, it could drive up the prices of used junk!

Sorry ‘bout that...
😐

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crack? What crack? I honestly can't see it. Awesome as always bud.

Yea I didn't want to mention the fact that I couldn't see it either. But seeing what the master did was incredible!

Thanks gents! If G body guys that are well oriented with these cars can’t notice it, then that’s my benchmark for a successful repair.
I’ll take the win, they’re often few and far between.
😊
Appreciate it fellas.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
There are some potential solutions out there, however nearly all of them involve purchasing some “miracle” welding or soldering rod, and they’re all priced accordingly.

First off, great repair. The brushed look makes it damn near invisible (and that's with me knowing where to look). To the rando looky loo it's mint.

Out of curiousity, was the weld rod you looked at from MuggyWeld? The Youtube vids look pretty amazing as far as fixing rare pot metal items.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor