BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It almost goes back to the thought that in the 80s these cars really were some of the first true throw away cars when you take a step back to look at things like the flimsy frames and the mystery alloy that the trim is apparently made from. My thoughts are it was probably really cheap to make and thats why they used such a strange material. I dont think they ever for a second thought any one would be restoring these cars one day

I couldn’t agree more, I think that’s EXACTLY what we’re seeing happening here.

Here's an idea, why don't you put a hood ornament on it?

Maybe something like this?
View attachment 118360

Just an idea...… :)

Buwhaahahahahaha!!!!!!! Great job on filling the holes and making it look like it came that way. It's all about the details.

Hahahaha Thanks!

I actually seriously considered keeping the hood ornament on it, but the two I have on hand here are in terrible condition. The plastics are all heavily oxidized and bubbling, the chrome is badly pitted, and the colors have faded near white.

Rather than pay a king’s ransom for somebody’s NOS one they’ve had stashed away for 20 years, I decided to incorporate a little trick I saw somebody use many moons ago. I pulled the center hood trim off an old Cutlass hood, and cut off the rear section of it. Close in the end, flip it around, and presto! A trim piece to match up with the hood trim and still finish things off, but without the ornament.

137CDFF3-9615-4FB7-AF46-59B192DA82EB.png

You can still see part of one of the holes underneath it though, which is why I need to fill them in now.

Reactions: 7 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I couldn’t agree more, I think that’s EXACTLY what we’re seeing happening here.

Hahahaha Thanks!

I actually seriously considered keeping the hood ornament on it, but the two I have on hand here are in terrible condition. The plastics are all heavily oxidized and bubbling, the chrome is badly pitted, and the colors have faded near white.

Rather than pay a king’s ransom for somebody’s NOS one they’ve had stashed away for 20 years, I decided to incorporate a little trick I saw somebody use many moons ago. I pulled the center hood trim off an old Cutlass hood, and cut off the rear section of it. Close in the end, flip it around, and presto! A trim piece to match up with the hood trim and still finish things off, but without the ornament.

View attachment 118397

You can still see part of one of the holes underneath it though, which is why I need to fill them in now.
I may have to steal that idea from you.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I may have to steal that idea from you.

Have at ‘er!
I “borrowed” it from somebody else, you might as well borrow it from me!

Reactions: 4 users

80oldscutlass

Apprentice
Nov 7, 2014
Littleton,Colorado
Man I love this build!!! I am watching and waiting for every update! I am building my own 1980 but it’s a Supreme. Thanks for the awesome updates and ideas I can use

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well I found it. The limit of my patience.
🤬🤬🤬

A8D317E4-A631-4284-9FE9-EA0EDB756B3E.jpeg

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Scared
Reactions: 12 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Just call it modern art, name it "Anger in the Garage", make a fancy display stand, sell it to a gallery for a insaine price, buy perfect NOS pieces & beer. 🏆

• Winner
  • Useful
Reactions: 7 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Not the kind of update I was expecting! Im glad I am not the only one who does stuff like that. My grandpa had a saying for days like that " maybe the sun will shine tomorrow". Other words give up and come back tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You know why I bang my head against the wall?
Because it feels so good when I stop.
😠

I’m just tired of

7D37401B-AAAB-447C-94A8-98C249C231F1.gif

with this particular POS.

Don’t fret though friends, I’m too damn stubborn to give up. Already working on the next victim, er, version.

Reactions: 14 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor