BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Donovan, I trust your judgement more than my own but if it were me I would cut out onto the car's roof skin the bare minimum and flange the repair piece to slip under it to help minimize distortion. I wonder if you can get the clecos in that area with the roof brace right under it?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
glad to see that the windshield setback didn't dampen your determination for long! as always, I'll be looking forward to the way you approach this and how you incorporate the piece.

know that you're helping at least one person learn from this, as it gave me the courage to try this on the chief. At work, when we get a new person on the line, alot of the guys will tell the new guy that the work has to be done a certain way, but I let them know "this is how I do it, you'll find your own way of doing it in time... This is how I feel that you're doing with documenting these repairs-as a guide for us to see, and get it accomplished in our own comfort levels.

it helped me get from this:

to this:

I won't horrify you with pics of my bad welds, but that is now sealed up, and I will move to other spots to do the same...

thanks, and keep the updates and great work coming!
Darin

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It is nice to see you can admit to failure and share it for the benefit of others, rather than hide it and pretend you are without fault.

Impressive work as always.

I am a bit perplexed why you didn't grab all the 442 parts and flip them (money and space limitations notwithstanding) - I highly doubt there will be repros.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Sorry to see the set back with the front window channel Donovan...again looks like you've got the solution in hand....great that the 442 channel is a nice one. Carry on my friend!

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Can you cut the roof at the edge of the window channel and slip this piece in underneath, bond it away from the joint, then weld it in at the edge?

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Maybe you make the cuts in the window jamb and hide the welds there. If all of the rust is under the roll over off the roof I would think that would keep warping to a minimum.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
That's exactly what I was going to say
But I think I would plug weld the pinch weld however you could just bond it all except the ends those I would but up and weld dose that 442 have a good left quarter bottom and trunk floor extension?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor